Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Post Apocalypse FPV Yeti....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2015, 07:26 AM   #1

Default Post Apocalypse FPV Yeti....

So, its been a REALLY long time since owning anything RC related that had tires.....

Been flying RC Heli's, planes, FPV racing multi-rotors, etc. and decided it would be fun to run an FPV car / truck.

After much research, I landed myself a RTR Yeti.

I still need to pick up some higher capacity 3S LiPo's, but even the 2250's I already had for other purposes get some decent run time considering last time I ran on 4 wheels was NiMh.....

This sucker has some impressive power / speed in stock form to be sure.

The only "problem" I had thus far was taking RTR too seriously. Apparently there was no loc tite used during assembly and the screw backed out inside of the rear drive shaft. Nice of them to include some spares and after digging through my screw bin its back in action.

First few brief FPV tests with a little spektrum cam / vtx were surprisingly impressive and a smoother ride through the goggles than I had expected.

All of that said, I've ordered up some aluminum panels and started weathering the beast to go for a bit of a post apocalypse / mad max kind of look. Barring arrival of the panels, I hope to get the basics done tonight, 250mw VTX and camera installed along with some LED lighting.

If anyone is interested, I'll keep this thread updated with progress around the rig itself and get some DVR footage up as well.

Here are a few teaser pics, figured the skull head would be fitting to the cause.

Inverted2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2015, 08:17 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Post Apocalypse FPV Yeti....

Wow.....nice paint work on that axle, man! Looks amazing!
Sh0rtBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 08:21 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

That axle looks awesome. Is it just silver and brown/s dry-brushed?
DeviledEggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 08:32 AM   #4

3 colors on that. Base gold, then aluminum, then a little brown to dirty it up.

I'll take a few pics of the cage this evening.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:59 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Inverted - Please keep us posted on your progress. I'm currently putting together a Wraith for FPV and would love to compare notes! I was on the fence about whether to build a Yeti or a Wraith, and decided on the Wraith. I'd love to see some video footage once you get your all setup, not too many FPV Yetis out there yet...
RMNixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 07:59 PM   #6

Old 11-04-2015, 08:07 PM   #7

Coming along. Unfortunately I still haven't received tracking on the Carter Fab aluminum body parts. Hopefully those ship soon.

Probably going to put the stock lexan back on tomorrow to test the FPV components, camera placement, etc..
Old 11-06-2015, 08:16 AM   #8

Unfortunately I forgot to grab a microSD to get some DVR footage, but ran the truck a little with the temp full FPV set-up on it. Runs smoother than expected, this is going to be a blast....

I had the camera mounted to the hood, which got just a piece of the hood and tires in view, I think I'm going to need to find a way to mount it further back and higher to get more of the truck in view. Without sound / feel, its very hard to tell through the goggles when you're pushing the limits of traction and I hope getting more of the truck in view will help that.

Maybe its time to revisit some 3D modeling and 3D print a camera mount that can be slung towards the back right behind the roof that would still offer rollover protection to the camera.

The other option I will play with is mounting in the cockpit itself, but I'm a little concerned about limiting visibility.

Did a little line of sight driving as well, this thing really is a well rounded truck. The only thing I really need to do is play with the suspension as it has a really bad tendency to want to nose over on jumps.

More pics / some vids to come...
Old 11-06-2015, 09:41 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Inverted - That's coming along nicely, can't wait to check out the video! I just posted up my Wraith build over in the Wraith section if you want to take a look.
RMNixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 05:25 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Coming along nicely. The cage looks great.
As far as your jumping/ nose diving concern, it'll take some practice. This aint no stadium truck. Try staying on the throttle in the air. Or approach the jump at 75/80% and goose it right before take-off. Stiffer front springs will help too.
Looking forward to some vids!
DeviledEggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 06:31 PM   #11

Following. I would luv to put FPV in my new yeti. Any advice on hardware needed appreciated.
jaykim5708 is offline   Reply With Quote

Post Apocalypse FPV Yeti.... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pham's nissandriver24 - VP Tekin Fully Loaded Yeti XL Kit - New Adventture with FPV nissan_driver24 Axial Yeti XL 17 04-27-2016 10:32 AM
Axial Wraith Spawn vs. Yeti for FPV platform jti76 Newbie General 4 06-30-2015 11:05 PM
Cross-post: Yeti v. Yeti XL Naughty Dawg Axial Yeti XL 0 04-14-2015 10:45 AM
Yet another Yeti...Just wanted to post some pics of my build. molina Axial Yeti 14 03-17-2015 10:30 PM
FPV Yeti XL BillBergman Axial Yeti XL 7 11-30-2014 07:43 AM