Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: VP Knuckles, losing turnbuckle screws & terrible wheel slop

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2016, 06:42 AM   #1

Default VP Knuckles, losing turnbuckle screws & terrible wheel slop

I upgraded the front end with the Vanquish Knuckles a while ago and am starting to notice some weird happenings.

First and foremost: there is terrible wheel slop with the new knuckles which I can only pinpoint to the axle being loose (somehow) at the hub/knuckle. I'm worried that eventually it will start rubbing and awesome little pieces of metal will ruin something else (bearings). We're talking a camber difference between baja truck and tokyo drifter wobble just sitting there.

Second: For the third time I've lost a screw that holds the turnbuckle to the knuckle. When they were first installed I never put a nut on them. An hour later one was lost. Put a nut on both and that lasted longer, but one eventually fell out. This past weekend it was able to fall out even with loctite (blue) on the threads. I can't figure out how. Is this normal?
MR2Quick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2016, 09:39 PM   #2

Default Re: VP Knuckles, losing turnbuckle screws & terrible wheel slop

I'm willing to bet you forgot to move both bearings over from the old knuckle, most, including myself, forget the inner bearing.
letthebombsfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 11:04 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by letthebombsfall View Post
I'm willing to bet you forgot to move both bearings over from the old knuckle, most, including myself, forget the inner bearing.
You'd be correct.... and I REALLY wish I would have known during the initial installation...

It might be to a point now that it's so worn I can't get the inner bearing in. I am by no means an expert (I've only been in the game for about 18 months) but how come none of these companies include installation instructions?

Time to see if I can revive these knuckles.
MR2Quick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 11:28 AM   #4

I am just getting ready to install a new set of knuckles. This thread has helped me tremendously in knowing what to make sure I transfer over. Thank you!
Hedsic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 05:26 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Just follow the installation steps/exploded views of the standard part in the Yeti kit manual, works for almost any aftermarket part.
This kit manual is one of the most important documents you can learn from. (even if you have the RTR)
http://docs.axialracing.com/instruct...ic_4WD_Kit.pdf
DenisLM is offline   Reply With Quote

VP Knuckles, losing turnbuckle screws & terrible wheel slop - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lower Turnbuckle Slop cmbscx10 Axial Yeti XL 2 04-01-2015 09:11 PM
Losing My Screws!!! sparrens Newbie General 14 08-09-2012 10:21 AM
servo arm, turnbuckle and vp knuckles issue bikeboy Axial XR10 9 03-31-2011 01:12 PM
VP knuckles and turnbuckle length avoidsthelight Axial XR10 4 12-05-2010 08:13 PM
JP Knuckles & Wheel Questions for the Clod Guys... bRIBEGuy Tamiya Clod Buster 17 01-28-2008 07:38 PM