Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Yeti or trophy truck?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2016, 10:00 PM   #1

Default Yeti or trophy truck?

What are the main differences between the yeti and the yeti score trophy truck. Can the trophy truck do light crawling like the original yeti, or is it just going to rip across flat ish terrain. Any insight either way is greatly appreciated.
Weichert crawling is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2016, 11:30 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Yeti or trophy truck?

I went to the store with the intention of buying the trophy truck and walked out with the rock racer. I am mostly bashing in the desert instead of racing on a track. Here were my pros and cons:

Trophy Truck Pros:
Looks awesome
Smaller tires are better for a track
Lower stance from smaller tires makes it more stable on hard surfaces

Trophy Truck Cons:
Small 2.2/3.0" wheels and shorter tires don't provide ground clearance
Large truck body prevents it from being much of a crawler
Plastic rear cage can break
Larger front bumper can get hung up on bushes

Rock Racer Pros:
Narrow body works well in rocks
Larger tires provide more ground clearance for bashing
I believe both use the same 16/64 gearing, so the Yeti should be faster with the larger tires

Rock Racer Cons:
Taller stance makes for more rollovers on hardpack/pavement, can be a handful on pavement with 3s
Doesn't look quite as cool as the Trophy Truck

I would buy the Rock Racer again tomorrow. I do plan on getting a set of the short course tires for the Rock Racer at some point because a buddy of mine is into the dirt track racing. When we went out in the desert his Slash VXL 2wd was almost useless in any kind of rough terrain, my Rock Racer blasted over everything and climber all the stuff he couldn't. He is now contemplating a Yeti Rock Racer or Bomber purchase.
BroncoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 09:43 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I actually had the same question myself. I bought the Yeti RR because I was planning on replacing my Stampede 4x4, but I came to realize that the Yeti can't do a lot of the terrain the Pede can...at least the terrain I'm running. Jumping is the main downfall of the RR, but damn I just love how the suspension works, so I just ordered the TT last night and I sold my Slash Platinum...the TT should be able to replace that, so I at least have one Traxxas and one Axial product. Now I just have to decide if I want to sell the RR or not when the TT comes. It'll be a battle for the ages!
Dbdynsty25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 02:38 AM   #4

I had the same problem as well. A friend bought a Yeti RR kit and I really liked it but the trophy truck came out and I loved the look. After checking thins out I realized I can make a trophy truck into a rock racer easier and cheaper than I can make a RR into a TT. Now all that I need is tires, foams and I have beetle body on the way. I plan to try to get the beetle body on without the RR cage and then I will have best of both worlds.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using magic and voodoo.
tooltimenova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 07:59 AM   #5

Did u have to do any other mods. How does it crawl.
Weichert crawling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 06:31 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooltimenova View Post
After checking thins out I realized I can make a trophy truck into a rock racer easier and cheaper than I can make a RR into a TT. Now all that I need is tires, foams and I have beetle body on the way. I plan to try to get the beetle body on without the RR cage and then I will have best of both worlds.
That's interesting...never really thought of that. I've got both the TT and the RR sitting here and was contemplating just selling my Pede, but I'd hate to see it go since it's significantly faster than both in stock form. By ordering a Yeti Body/Cage and some tires, I can easily turn the TT into the RR. Dang, more stuff to think about this weekend. I certainly don't need 3 $400+ RCs that's for sure, haha.
Dbdynsty25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 01:56 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

The TT is really a Yeti underneath. Has all the same suspension components. For all intents and purposes only the body and cage are different. Everything underneath is Yeti. So when buying stuff like chassis and suspension stuff, you can just get Yeti parts. It works, I've done it. So even if you end up not liking the TT, converting it to a yeti would be easy.

Personally I LOVE Trophy Trucks. Always have. I was going to build my own, like so many others have, but when I saw the Score TT release, I immediately got one as soon as it came out. I frickin love it. It handles just like the real thing, it's amazing. There are not a lot of hop-ups for it yet, because it's so new. BUT, like I said, it's a yeti underneath, and there's a crap-ton of stuff available for that already. I've bought Yeti suspension, bumpers, and skid plates, and it all fit perfectly.

As for it crawling rocks, sure, does it just fine. Not as good as a regular Yeti, but that's only due to the body and overhangs. The Yeti doesn't have a rear overhang, the Score TT does. That's really the only issue. Front bumpers and overhangs are the same. If you want to crawl, leave the stock pinion in. If you want fast, throw in a 20T pinion, which is darn near ideal for the truck. It still has stupid amounts of torque, but likely not as controllable in really slow rocky conditions than the shorter stock pinion. Feel free to PM me with any other Q's.
yellowdatsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 12:05 AM   #8

I have the Proline VW beetle body trimmed and mounted without a cage and I think it should be fine. I have been debating on mounting Ottsix KLR 1.9 tires stretched over my 2.2 wheels so I can run them under the trophy truck body but I may go with Ottsix U4 2.2 instead for the ground clearance.

Old 04-06-2016, 11:36 AM   #9

I love how my TT looks but I want to be able to smash over things without cracking my Yeti Score body anymore that it already is :(

So I popped on the tires from my rr10 Bomber. The rear tires clear at full squish but the front would need some trimming. I love the look of the yeti so I may just get a yeti body.

Does anyone know what other bodies fit on the yeti platform?

Last edited by ranger01; 04-06-2016 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Fixing image sizes
ranger01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:34 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I have both, the TT definitely is the one that will last longer out of the box. The lighter smaller tires of the TT do not stress the driveline nearly as much as the RR. That being said gearing up the TT a few teeth on the pinion is a blast, and changing shock positions and fluids on both trucks make a world of difference for jumping. When it comes to Yeti's you can't full throttle a jump, you have to go in at 3/4, and as you the front tires leave the lip, you punch it. Works much better when you do jumps that way, as well as stiffer fluid.
Ty1330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 02:18 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I have the Proline VW beetle body trimmed and mounted without a cage and I think it should be fine. I have been debating on mounting Ottsix KLR 1.9 tires stretched over my 2.2 wheels so I can run them under the trophy truck body but I may go with Ottsix U4 2.2 instead for the ground clearance.

That looks amazing even without paint. Can I see some more pictures of it with paint, or of it crawling with those stock TT tires?
Wes S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:28 PM   #12

Sorry don't have any pics with the trophy truck tires and the beetle body but here are a few with the beetle painted.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Old 04-27-2016, 01:47 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

How does the Yeti TT's stock front bumper do when crawling? Does it get in the way or not affect the performance at all?
Wes S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 01:50 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

For that terrain I would get an open wheel Yeti over the Yeti TT. The open wheel is a better crawler with larger tires that still goes fast enough to break stuff, I would recommend the two speed kit as well (although my two speed kit is in my Bomber now).

I haven't followed the Baja Rey at all.
Old 09-06-2016, 06:24 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoAZ View Post
For that terrain I would get an open wheel Yeti over the Yeti TT. The open wheel is a better crawler with larger tires that still goes fast enough to break stuff, I would recommend the two speed kit as well (although my two speed kit is in my Bomber now).

I haven't followed the Baja Rey at all.
The two speed kit is a big plus for the Yeti, and I would be changing the body. It's just that the TT RTR package includes a 3-channel radio and (from what I gather) a few upgraded bits that have not been added to the Yeti RR RTR package. I do like the wider body that takes away the typical 'buggy' look of an RC truck.

DavidH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:29 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidH View Post
The two speed kit is a big plus for the Yeti, and I would be changing the body. It's just that the TT RTR package includes a 3-channel radio and (from what I gather) a few upgraded bits that have not been added to the Yeti RR RTR package. I do like the wider body that takes away the typical 'buggy' look of an RC truck.
The Yeti RTR and Bomber RTR I have both came with the same 3 channel Tactics radio set that will operate the two speed kit. I think the only difference in the TT is the king look a like shocks, the 20T pinion gear to match the smaller tires, and I think a sway bar that isn't that useful in the rocks.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:53 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Quote:
After checking thins out I realized I can make a trophy truck into a rock racer easier and cheaper than I can make a RR into a TT.
Yep I priced it out. If you want to convert a Yeti to a Score, you'd be better off buying a Score Kit and taking what you need from there. It would only cost you an extra 100 bucks or so and you'd have all the spare parts too.
Vedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 10:49 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Default Yeti or trophy truck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert crawling View Post
Did u have to do any other mods. How does it crawl.

Lousy......

Now before y'all complain, it really isn't a crawler with a front IFS and a diff. Yes you can put a spool/locker up front, undergear axles and drop your gearing down with the two speed. I did, and it still isn't a crawler, or close . It is a beast on rocky rough ground and has enough grunt to go anywhere.... But never vertical as a crawler does
Tire choice is important, when I am "crawling" with this yeti, JConcepts ruptures work well and add a ton of grip and attitude

Now that said I don't want my yeti to crawl, but with a sensored tekin and the two speed I can trail quite well

HANG UP AND DRIVE !

Last edited by THX_138; 11-19-2016 at 09:16 PM.
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 11:26 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

I swapped out the thin factory front diff fluid for some 500K fluid and it helped all around. The front crawls better than before (still not half the crawler my bomber is) and it prevents the outside tire from slowing down on sharp turns on asphalt which made the Yeti do cartwheels previously. I want to upgrade to the GCI diff case over the plastic one, but so far it is working ok with the heavier fluid in the plastic diff. I also contemplated putting the open diff with heavier fluid in the rear to see if it helps high speed cornering, maybe the next time I break an axle.
Old 09-17-2016, 07:26 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

So dragging this back up

I snagged a yeti rr with a bunch of upgrades and a new score body for 175 bucks.

What all is needed to convert it to the score truck?
2k2wranglerx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axial yeti, yeti score trophy truck

Yeti or trophy truck? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1:8 scale Trophy Truck built on the Yeti letthebombsfall Axial Yeti 6 12-07-2016 01:26 AM
Yeti XL trophy truck DOWNHILLADDICTIONS Axial Yeti XL 9 01-17-2016 10:11 AM
Yeti Trophy Truck Chase 412 Axial Yeti 4 03-09-2015 10:27 AM