Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: SSD Diamond Wide vs VP Currie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2016, 01:57 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default SSD Diamond Wide vs VP Currie

I've done some searching but couldn't find a thread comparing these 2 axles for use in a Yeti. Which one would you get for your basher Yeti, SSD Diamond Wide with the HD shafts or the VP Currie?
battery is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2016, 02:58 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: SSD Diamond Wide vs VP Currie

I run the centered currie in mine without any issues. I haven't been easy on it. Broke other stuff but no rear end breakages.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 03:43 PM   #3

I been wanting to ask the same question.
Going to wait for the new Vanquish 9in style axle to come out, before I make purchase.
Grouchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 04:23 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Great question, I'm about to pull the trigger on the SSD, specially because the price. But who knows...
DenisLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 06:18 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I have both, love both, no problems with either of them.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 05:51 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

One thing I love about the SSD is the owners' involvement here and addressing issues. Man that says a lot. I think I would have already pulled the trigger If there was an option to have the HD shafts/Ti hexes come with the housing.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:17 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I agree. I think the HD shafts should come standard now that the weakness has been identified. Of course SSD would have to raise the price but as it is, we're buying the HD replacements anyway. I'm also very impressed with how interactive SSD is with the customers here.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:35 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

+1 in the axle + HD shafts

Hey SSD-RC is that possible?

even better if the skid be part of this "HD/basher pack"
DenisLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:16 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by battery View Post
One thing I love about the SSD is the owners' involvement here and addressing issues. Man that says a lot. I think I would have already pulled the trigger If there was an option to have the HD shafts/Ti hexes come with the housing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
I agree. I think the HD shafts should come standard now that the weakness has been identified. Of course SSD would have to raise the price but as it is, we're buying the HD replacements anyway. I'm also very impressed with how interactive SSD is with the customers here.
absolutely its to bad some of the other companies dont take notice of this very issue. i know i have personally asked questions over the years and have never been answered by others. i to am curious about the axle option
rcjunky3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:50 AM   #10
SSD
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenisLM View Post
+1 in the axle + HD shafts

Hey SSD-RC is that possible?

even better if the skid be part of this "HD/basher pack"
It is very difficult to change the packing of a product once it is out there.

As there will probably be some left over products in a dealer somewhere and somebody will buy them and then say "that is not what I was expecting etc..."

We would have to discontinue the product and wait until everybody has sold out and then reintroduce the product. Even then I'm sure somebody will be unhappy that they got the "old" version a few weeks before we released the updated set.

So we wont be changing the contents of the Diamond axle set anytime soon as it's not as straight forward as it sounds.

Last edited by SSD; 02-08-2016 at 09:53 AM.
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 03:22 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD View Post

As there will probably be some left over products in a dealer somewhere and somebody will buy them and then say "that is not what I was expecting etc..."

We would have to discontinue the product and wait until everybody has sold out and then reintroduce the product. Even then I'm sure somebody will be unhappy that they got the "old" version a few weeks before we released the updated set.

So we wont be changing the contents of the Diamond axle set anytime soon as it's not as straight forward as it sounds.
I see where you are coming from, but the other side of that is you will keep having unhappy people bending axle shafts. Can you make a Diamond HD axle which includes all the upgrades for a higher price? Then still leave the original Diamonds out there to sell at the lower price. This way everyone knows what they are getting.
CamaroTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 05:23 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD View Post

I comp,ethyl understand your point. However, at least in the RC Offroad racing part of the hobby "in line" changes to a product are the norm. I can't speak for the crawler segment as I'm pretty new to it.

I can speak from personal experience though on being a bit upset about getting caught up in a running change in kits. So, from personal experience, your point is accurate and well meant.

That said; handled well by dealer/manufacturer it not too difficult to solve.

In my case I bought a brand new Tekno 1/8 scale buggy and a bunch of upgrades and new electronics. About 1,200 - 1,300 on the kit and parts.

Before I even finished but,ding it Tekno announced a newer version of the same kit, the new version included some of the upgrades I had just purchased and and some newly engineered suspension and associated parts etc.

I asked the dealer I got the kit from if he was aware the newer kit was being released when I bought mine. He seater he was not. What he did do though was add up the price of the price of all the upgrades I bought that were now included in the kit and then gave me 10% of the total in store credit. He then put together all the new parts (the parts that made up the new suspension) in a "upgrade" kit to bring previous versions of the buggy up to the newer spec. He sold those upgrade kits at 10% off to anyone that bought a Tekno buggy 30 days prior to the real ease of the new one.

Was a fair deal and saved a lot of frustration and anger.
Dwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:06 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

It's a harder choice to make than I thought it would be. The SSD looks killer and IF there ever was a problem with axles, it's covered with the HD upgrade.
The VP center currie is a little "busy" looking for my taste but I've read very few complaints about it and comes with a "jockstrap" skid plate thingy.
And then to make it worse....what's the latest one called the F9" centered?
Just gonna have to sit back and wait a little while, and read some more.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:27 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by battery View Post
It's a harder choice to make than I thought it would be. The SSD looks killer and IF there ever was a problem with axles, it's covered with the HD upgrade.
The VP center currie is a little "busy" looking for my taste but I've read very few complaints about it and comes with a "jockstrap" skid plate thingy.
And then to make it worse....what's the latest one called the F9" centered?
Just gonna have to sit back and wait a little while, and read some more.
Currie is covered with the included parts.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:45 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I just want to mention one major difference between the centered Currie, which I own, and the Yeti width SSD rear axle, which I own. The SSD is actually full Yeti width while the centered Currie is Wraith width. The biggest issues with running a centered Currie on a Yeti are 1. with it being narrower than the front of a Yeti, you either get to run different width front and rear hubs or different offset wheels to make the track width match or you just run it narrow in the rear. 2. If you do decide, like most have, to try and get the front and rear track width at least close and don't mind at all running different offsets front and rear then here's where I see the bigger problem.

With every step you go up on a wheel hub or offset you are putting much more unnecessary stress and leverage on the outer bearing and the axle shaft itself. The Yeti width SSD or even the Axial wide axle conversion kit have addressed this correctly. I love my Currie centered rear axle but in my opinion, it belongs on the Wraith or Bomber or whatever other rig that has a matching front track width that was designed to be this wide. Saying that it fits and works on the Yeti is like saying an SCX10 width Currie would fit on a Wraith as long as you have the right SLW hubs and wheel wideners and offset wheel. See where I'm going with those?

I will say it is a testament to how strong VP's components are, that no one is having issues with breakage especially on a basher like the Yeti but I'd rather run the right width axle, on the vehicle it was designed for, that actually matches the front track width, than have to buy 225 hubs for the front and 725s for the rear to make it fit. This also takes away a lot of choice in hub size when you do need to run wider or narrower hubs to fit wheels or make adjustments due to rubbing or whatever. VP even acknowledged that there was a good enough reason to produce an XR10 width axle and that's between the Wraith and SCX10 width. It leaves me wondering why VP doesn't give the Yeti its own width tubes. Thankfully, both SSD and Axial have given us a specifically designed option for the rear of the Yeti. Just food for thought.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:37 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

My currie hasn't bent. Plenty of ssds have.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:45 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

I managed to bend one of my centered Currie shafts (by being stupid), I was able to bend it back fairly close with a little effort. My roommate hasn't managed to bend his SSD shafts, but he's on brushed power.

I do like the fact that the SSDs are easier to work on.
HahnsB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 11:02 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

...And half the cost while also being the right width. Like I said, it's a testament to VP's quality but you can't say it's a Wraith/Yeti axle. It's a Wraith axle that can be made to work. That's the only point I was trying to make. SSD addressed the weakness with the shafts with very quick response and working directly with the customer. I've not seen this kind of interaction with any other company.
Old 03-15-2016, 04:02 PM   #19

Vanquish has the new Currie F9 rear axle posted on their site, kind of disappointed it's not centered and does not come with axles..

I guess i'll have to decide between the SSD or Centered Currie Axle
Grouchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 04:38 PM   #20

I hate they don't include the shafts too. But they did mention on their FaceBook page that they are going to do a centered version of the F9.

Last edited by Rhino70; 03-15-2016 at 04:40 PM.
Rhino70 is offline   Reply With Quote

SSD Diamond Wide vs VP Currie - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Currie F9? Rockjocks? SSD Diamond Axles? 701scaler Axial SCX-10 24 04-02-2016 08:13 AM
Vanquish Currie F9? Vanquish Jockrocks? SSD Diamond Axles? 701scaler 1.9 Scale Rigs 15 01-04-2016 09:39 PM
Vanquish Currie F9? Vanquish Jockrocks? SSD Diamond Axles? 701scaler General Crawlers 6 01-04-2016 10:06 AM
SSD wide diamond axle install instructions? oosel Axial Yeti 4 11-05-2015 06:42 PM