Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Squirrelrocket's Machyete!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2016, 06:19 PM   #1

Default Squirrelrocket's Machyete!

So I recently got hooked into the RC world after winning a gigantic new bright jeep at my jeep club's Christmas party. Needless to say that toy grade RC wasn't cutting it lol. Me and a friend had the great idea to wire in a 19.2 volt lithium ion battery for more speed. Surprisingly enough, there was almost a fire hahaha.
I then started researching and the guy a my LHS recommended a 2wd slash. I'm having a blast with this truck and broke almost every part on it. It's now a full RPM, LCG chassis, Castle powered 3s beast! But the 2wd wasn't helping with my appetite for off road destruction, so I bought an RTR Yeti a few weeks ago.
I ABSOLUTELY LOVE this Yeti I aptly named Machyete! I ran 7 35C 3s packs through it until finally breaking a part! Ended up smoking the rear driveshaft bashing it up chest high dirt walls.

I've been out of town for work all week but ordered parts to start upgrading the beast. MIP driveshaft, Savox 1211 servo, hot racing steering rack and titanium links, vanquish bearing pins, bell cranks and knuckles, Axial servo horn and HD bevel gears. I'm also goin to try some 50wt shock oil. I only plan on bashing the thing so I think the heavy oil will help. I run 70 in the slash with aluminum bodied shocks and I enjoy the stiffer dampening for high speed action!

I'll also include a pic of my daily driven 1:1 being I know you guys love crawling!

Last edited by Squirrelrocket; 02-17-2016 at 08:23 PM.
Squirrelrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2016, 09:45 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Squirrelrocket's Machyete!

Nice TJ. Looks like you need a long arm kit.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 05:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
Nice TJ. Looks like you need a long arm kit.
Why thank you! I'm more than happy with the short arms, they're super stable and flex well. I just like flopping it onto its side on the dirt bank to show off to the girlfriend!

In other news I finally got shipping confirmations for the yeti parts! Hopefully they'll be mounted up by this time next week.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:35 PM   #4

Yay!!! Here's some baggies full of the good stuff!!

Steering in!

All back together minus the front bumper

Sorry that the Yeti is all dirty! It's my little offroad toy and I bought it to beat up. I feel it's like a well seasoned cast iron skillet. Soon as you wash the thing it stops working right. That new servo along with all the other steering parts is sweet! It took me some time getting it centered being I'm a newb and all. The steering response is way faster and stronger than stock. I'm really happy I did that upgrade. I only bombed this thing around the basement for a little while but tomorrow is testing day!! A nice snow bash session will commence after the morning coffee!
Old 12-03-2016, 12:34 AM   #5

Long overdue update: 😬 So I recently caught the RC bug again after a fun summer of beating the 1:1 jeep up! Earlier in the week I took the Machyeti to work with me down in WV and did some hiking trails with it at Coopers Rock. I had a good time and once I got home I went to the usually bash grounds and slapped in a 4s for some good fun!! 4s you say!? Yep! This little pig got the Sidewinder 8th, 2200KV can combo during the off season! She flat out rips like a tater chip and stays cool all day long! Gearing on this was 20 pinion 60 spur.

Old 12-03-2016, 01:01 AM   #6

And I might as well show you the direction I took with this build tonight. Earlier in the day I was bashing the Yet pretty hard and the slipper burnt out so I cranked it down as tight as I could. Shortly after getting it going again I wrecked the thing and saw a rear tire rolling away. Poop! I just snapped a SSD rear shaft... So I jumped in the car and headed to the local hobby shop where they had HD replacements in stock!!!

Now on the drive to the LHS I had an epiphany. I have a SCX10 Deadbolt on order so I no longer need another crawler. My Traxxas Slash is mutilated from a 65+ mph crash into a curb and I've been wanting another, sooooo I bought more Yeti parts! They consisted of HD SSD center axle shafts, Losi Springs, 70wt shock oil, and some 2.2/3.0 trenchers and wheels! Hoping I can trophy truck the Yeti out and get some handling and bash ability like the slash had.

My main reason for going short course? I'm hoping the smaller diameter and less weight equate to less breakage and better handling!

RIP Slash....

Ouch!

ZOOM ZOOM!!

4wd Slash Spur and Slipper Clutch installed (kept burning the tape on ones)

70 on all 4 for that donk, swangin action!

And the end result! I think it looks pretty cool! Trophy Truck stance without the bulk. Running 23/56 gearing for a baseline tomorrow! Can't wait!! Love this Hooptie!
Old 12-06-2016, 07:58 AM   #7

Took the Yeti out for some playtime the other day! The new short course tires make this thing a hoot to drive! It'll drift and slide with no issues at all with no more rolling in the high speed turns.
I did drain the 70wt from the front shocks and put in some 50. 70 was a pinch stiff. Also put in 24/52 gearing. The steepest I could find. It's enough to keep 3s fun and 4s scary! More than likely need a higher KV motor if I plan on keeping it this way.
Pictures!

Old 12-06-2016, 09:59 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

looking good. You could go with the Castle 2650kv but you should probably gear down a little bit. What 4s pack are you using? I have a Yeti score with the sidewinder 8th setup. As you know the can takes away space from the battery in the compartment. I see you are using straps but I was just wondering what 4s batteries you have managed to squeeze in there.

Also just remembered that the 2650 is a bit shorter so you'll get your battery compartment back
Lavaheadache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 02:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavaheadache View Post
looking good. You could go with the Castle 2650kv but you should probably gear down a little bit. What 4s pack are you using? I have a Yeti score with the sidewinder 8th setup. As you know the can takes away space from the battery in the compartment. I see you are using straps but I was just wondering what 4s batteries you have managed to squeeze in there.

Also just remembered that the 2650 is a bit shorter so you'll get your battery compartment back
Thanks! I'll have to look into that 2650. It's a struggle fighting with the battery straps all the time. My 4s pack is a 3200 mah Kinexis. Been using it for about 6 months and it's been great. All my batteries fit sideways in that compartment. Even the hard case 5200 mah 3s ones I have.
Old 12-06-2016, 02:53 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

2200 KV
Length: 2.96" (75.18mm)
Diameter: 1.57" (39.98mm)

2650 KV
Length: 2.68" (68mm)
Diameter: 1.57" (39.98mm)

Last edited by Lavaheadache; 12-08-2016 at 10:16 PM.
Lavaheadache is offline   Reply With Quote