Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Anybody else excited for the Trophy Truck Kit Version?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2016, 11:59 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Anybody else excited for the Trophy Truck Kit Version?

I keep popping in here hoping somebody would post a thread to blab about the soon to be released kit version of Axial's Trophy Truck

I bought the RTR version for my dad and we've had a blast running it around on 3S with my Exo based Baja Bug. I actually enjoyed the TT so much that I pre-ordered the Score Kit version and will most likely sell the Baja Bug.

I received a notification from tower that they're being sorted in the warehouse, I'm hoping it will ship soon coupled with the 5mm output castle 1410 3800kv and Sidewinder3 there is a $60 off coupon that makes this truck pretty affordable. I'm still thinking what servo to use, something reputable and strong and affordable like a savox maybe? We'll see.

This is an open chat, let's be respectable to each other and drool over some toy trucks haha

Here's some links for you guys to save you time hunting around:

Axial Racing - Yeti

TowerHobbies.com | Axial 1/10 Yeti Trophy Truck Kit
MIKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2016, 10:58 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Anybody else excited for the Trophy Truck Kit Version?

Looks like she'll be here friday

I picked up a waterproof Savox 1210 to run in this thing. I usually take all my electronics apart and coat the boardd with HD Corrosion X, so this is a new experience for me haha

I don't want to do any upgrades on this truck at all besides maybe for a light bar. Keep it simple stupid.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:30 AM   #3
RCC Addict

I think you say that now but once you get it hand you will upgrade it. Trust me.
ser3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:04 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

It's funny, I wanted to build a Yeti kit...just couldn't decide which one, so I built the RR and bought the shell/hubs/tires/wheels to convert to a TT as well. It was cheaper to do it that way than vice versa (TT to RR)...so now I basically have both trucks! Tho I'm still waiting for some of the TT parts to arrive for the conversion.
Dbdynsty25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 01:06 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

My first look at the kit version:

Overall, there's some nice added bits that make it better than the RTR. Especially if you enjoy building like I do. Not going crazy with the electrical bits, but certainly going to be a fun one. The Trophy Truck is my favorite iteration of the Yeti - it's got the best driving dynamics of any of them. Digging it.
imthatguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 01:34 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I'm definitely very excited about it. It's gonna be my next purchase (after an Ascender)... It just looks so good I just have to have it...
Wes S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 02:16 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I wished was the "modern" body. I don't really like the retro looks...
But other than that it's a great pack of upgrades
DenisLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:59 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ser3100 View Post
I think you say that now but once you get it hand you will upgrade it. Trust me.
I have a 37mph EXO based Baja Bug that has all the option parts from vanquish, axial, and STRC. If something breaks now it's just really expensive, but parts will always break, at least the plastic parts will absorb some of the energy that would otherwise be directly transmitted further down the line. ...and they're a lot cheaper. Also I hate pulling bearings from aluminum knuckles

I'm really glad that it comes with metal turnbuckles as I think these TT's need some negative camber in the front

I'm surprised it actually comes with universals in the front, nice touch over the stock dog bones
Old 05-05-2016, 09:02 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post

Overall, there's some nice added bits that make it better than the RTR. Especially if you enjoy building like I do. Not going crazy with the electrical bits, but certainly going to be a fun one. The Trophy Truck is my favorite iteration of the Yeti - it's got the best driving dynamics of any of them. Digging it.
Haha is that you in the video? Cool man mine will be here tomorrow! What colors are you painting yours? I'm thinking about sticking to the white, it looks so damn good!
Old 05-06-2016, 11:11 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

It's here! I just tore the box open like an uncivilized beast. Orange wheels look great in person, body looks really cool too. I want to paint it but it's raining outside! I may paint it in the garage and hope for the best since it's humid

I'll do a side by side video of the RTR and the KIT version if anybody's interested what they look like in comparison to each other
Old 05-09-2016, 12:32 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Everything is done but I'm missing the front body post from the kit

I emailed axial and saw that they're also back ordered on their website, must've run out while putting together the kit boxes. Luckily I found a full front diff with shock tower and body post on ebay for 25 bucks!

But it won't get here til friday
Old 05-11-2016, 01:05 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Did you notice that the rear hubs that are included, the wide ones, are too wide for the retro body? If so, have you looked into different hubs? Thinking the Vanquish 600 or 475, just can't decide.
Old 05-11-2016, 01:24 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbdynsty25 View Post
Did you notice that the rear hubs that are included, the wide ones, are too wide for the retro body? If so, have you looked into different hubs? Thinking the Vanquish 600 or 475, just can't decide.
I did notice, I had major rubbing on the rear fenders. I went with the 600 for the rear and 225 in front.
Chiphead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 05:31 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiphead View Post
I did notice, I had major rubbing on the rear fenders. I went with the 600 for the rear and 225 in front.
Okay, that's what I figured. I'll have to order some 600s for the back. I'll leave the narrow ones for now because I don't want to ruin the new shell. Thanks.
Old 05-11-2016, 07:33 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Okay, that's what I figured. I'll have to order some 600s for the back. I'll leave the narrow ones for now because I don't want to ruin the new shell. Thanks.
I had some rubbing on one fender but I realized that I didn't trim one of the fenders enough and there was a little lip sticking out and rubbing the tire.

Also the body post had to move up one hole from the kit instructions, unless I just can't count
Old 05-11-2016, 07:51 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKO View Post
I had some rubbing on one fender but I realized that I didn't trim one of the fenders enough and there was a little lip sticking out and rubbing the tire.

Also the body post had to move up one hole from the kit instructions, unless I just can't count
The body posts shouldn't matter since the wheels tuck under the fenders during compression anyway, so height, whatever. LOL.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:29 PM   #17
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post

You mention in your video that the Trophy Truck version has a better balance than the original release of the Yeti. Is the spare wheel in the back the only difference? I am curious to know what else might be different to have balanced it out?
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:25 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOG View Post
You mention in your video that the Trophy Truck version has a better balance than the original release of the Yeti. Is the spare wheel in the back the only difference? I am curious to know what else might be different to have balanced it out?
It flies much better...and yes, it's because of the cage/wheel in the back. If you build the kit without it (you can NOT cut the retro body if you want), it'll fly like the original Yeti. Nose down.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:12 AM   #19
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
It flies much better...and yes, it's because of the cage/wheel in the back. If you build the kit without it (you can NOT cut the retro body if you want), it'll fly like the original Yeti. Nose down.
Thx. Glad to hear that the rig was balanced out., that has been my biggest beef with the original release.

This one looks great.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 09:40 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKO View Post
I keep popping in here hoping somebody would post a thread to blab about the soon to be released kit version of Axial's Trophy Truck

I bought the RTR version for my dad and we've had a blast running it around on 3S with my Exo based Baja Bug. I actually enjoyed the TT so much that I pre-ordered the Score Kit version and will most likely sell the Baja Bug.

I received a notification from tower that they're being sorted in the warehouse, I'm hoping it will ship soon coupled with the 5mm output castle 1410 3800kv and Sidewinder3 there is a $60 off coupon that makes this truck pretty affordable. I'm still thinking what servo to use, something reputable and strong and affordable like a savox maybe? We'll see.

This is an open chat, let's be respectable to each other and drool over some toy trucks haha

Here's some links for you guys to save you time hunting around:

Axial Racing - Yeti

TowerHobbies.com | Axial 1/10 Yeti Trophy Truck Kit
where do you guys bash at? ever been out to ipswitch? i need a good spot and was thinking of checking it out one weekend.
Wrapter is offline   Reply With Quote

Anybody else excited for the Trophy Truck Kit Version? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yeti kit turned to Trophy Truck Chiphead Axial Yeti 14 04-01-2016 11:39 PM
Axial Yeti Trophy Truck KIT release ? dave. Axial Yeti 1 01-10-2016 12:35 PM
First scaler kit. Super excited genetix_drftr G-Made Sawback 30 11-30-2015 12:49 AM
JPRC Redbull Trophy Truck VS Score Trophy Truck STRC Upgrade joerc2013 Axial Yeti 10 11-13-2015 11:06 AM