Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: anyone know the difference in the SSD housings??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2016, 11:57 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default anyone know the difference in the SSD housings??

They have the Wraith axle housing part number SSD00037 and they have the yeti housing part number SSD00049. These physically looks similar but are obviously different in some way. Both show capability with the yeti. Is one wider than the other? If so, which one will be the same offset as the stock rear for using regular 12mm hex wheels. Was going to do a wide axle kit but this seems to be a better option to be able to run the same offset wheels front and rear.
VenomousSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2016, 11:59 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: anyone know the difference in the SSD housings??

scratch that.. i was googling and reading as I was posting and no sooner than I hit submit on this thread I came across a google spider pointing at this quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
The Wraith version is the same width as the stock rear axle. The Yeti version is wider than the stock axle and makes the rear width the same as the front (no more wide hubs needed for the rear wheels).
Old 05-24-2016, 01:52 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

As another option to spending $130+ for the SSD setup and the extra SSD HD shafts that are necessary after the included shafts bend because you looked at them wrong, Axial offers a Yeti wide kit that includes wider shafts, lockouts, and bearings. This kit also makes your stock rear axle or any other axle that uses lockouts, the same track width as the front of a Yeti and is less than $50 shipped. I've been running this for a while and it's held up very nicely to many tumbles and crashes. Part number AX31290 Axial AR60 full width axle set.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 02:26 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
As another option to spending $130+ for the SSD setup and the extra SSD HD shafts that are necessary after the included shafts bend because you looked at them wrong, Axial offers a Yeti wide kit that includes wider shafts, lockouts, and bearings. This kit also makes your stock rear axle or any other axle that uses lockouts, the same track width as the front of a Yeti and is less than $50 shipped. I've been running this for a while and it's held up very nicely to many tumbles and crashes. Part number AX31290 Axial AR60 full width axle set.
i seriously looked at that option (others also have wide track kits) but figured even after spending the $50+ im still stuck with the stock housing that people seem to break. I looked into doing the steel inserts as well if I kept the ar60.

I didnt realize the axles were crappy from SSD.. i def dont want to create another weak link when trying to fix one.

i guess I could always do the axial wide kit then if I have ar60 failures I could run the vanquish axle housing and use the wide kit with it. I am not trying to do it all at once (being broke sucks) but I'm not wanting to do anything counter productive. I would like to be able to use what I get once I have to upgrade again. rather than spend $50 then go with a currie and throw the wide kit in my toolbox to collect dust.
Old 05-24-2016, 04:01 PM   #5

I think I'm going with the Axial wide kit and add beef tubes .... should make the rear axle bullet proof.

Only wish Vanquish made the Currie axle in the yeti width
Grouchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:50 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouchman View Post
I think I'm going with the Axial wide kit and add beef tubes .... should make the rear axle bullet proof.

Only wish Vanquish made the Currie axle in the yeti width

Can we run the vanquish axle housing with their lockouts and the axial wide axle kit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-25-2016, 10:11 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomousSVT View Post
Can we run the vanquish axle housing with their lockouts and the axial wide axle kit?

If you mean the VP axle housing that looks like the AR60 housing but in aluminum, then yes. If you mean the VP Currie housing, no. The rears, centered or normal, have lockouts built in. The front Currie has the splines to accept C-hubs & lockouts, but it would probably be an expensive complicated mess to get the pumpkin on the correct side on the rear.
txbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 12:25 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbart View Post
If you mean the VP axle housing that looks like the AR60 housing but in aluminum, then yes. If you mean the VP Currie housing, no. The rears, centered or normal, have lockouts built in. The front Currie has the splines to accept C-hubs & lockouts, but it would probably be an expensive complicated mess to get the pumpkin on the correct side on the rear.
yeah i was meaning the vanquish ar60. I would ultimately like to upgrade to this, would be great if i already have the parts to make this an easy swap with a wide axle kit. Just buying the housing would be great. Makes it a functional stage 1 stage 2 upgrade. thanks!
Old 05-26-2016, 03:25 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Axial wide kit will be here tomorrow... Had to order some wheel hubs so I could put the front hubs on the rear wheels and keep the offset the same. I have a set of jconcepts tense wheels I used on my comp crawler. Worst comes to worst I will mount my tires on the regular offset wheels and just wait on my adapters to come in.

anyone know the difference in the SSD housings?? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New SSD SCX10 axle housings STANG KILLA SS Axial SCX-10 1394 03-10-2023 08:34 AM
New SSD 2.2 Proline Rings for SSD wheels SSD Tires and Wheels 32 02-07-2017 10:56 PM
New SSD Diamond Aluminum SCX10 Axle Housings STANG KILLA SS Axial SCX-10 27 08-08-2016 04:00 PM
SSD wheels and SSD knuckle interference? skybolt Tires and Wheels 7 02-13-2016 02:56 AM