Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Yeti 1/10 Kit arriving tomorrow!!! Need advice!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2016, 10:17 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Yeti 1/10 Kit arriving tomorrow!!! Need advice!!!

Just ordered my Yeti kit last night and it should be delivered tomorrow. 3 weeks ago i got back into the hobby after a 20yr hiatus and I'm already purchasing my 2nd kit (first purchase was a slash 4x4 platinum). Need your advice on the Yeti:
1) What servo do you recommend (brand and/or specs - speed, torque, size?)
2) I have a spare Traxxas Vileneon motor/esc that i pulled from my Slash. its the Vxl3s ESC and 3500kv motor. Will that be sufficient for the Yeti or should i shop for a 1/8 scale motor like a 4068 2650kv motor/esc combo?
3) Are there any immediate upgrades i should purchase?

Thanks in advance!!!
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2016, 11:59 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Yeti 1/10 Kit arriving tomorrow!!! Need advice!!!

Good luck! I think the Velineon system should be plenty for the Yeti. Savox waterproof servos are a good way to go... Some aluminum parts are a good start for aftermarket parts, lime trailing arms, the shock tower, etc...
Wes S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 12:14 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Aluminum: all steering parts, motor mount. I am assuming you bought the kit I'm guessing it already comes with HD gears, reinforced trailing arms, etc.
Get the Crawler Innovations Closed cell foams and sticky tires (beadlock if you can afford them at this point )
Rear axle either get locked up rc pinion bushings to replace the bearings or buy Dlux modified AR60 axle that fits bigger bearings - this IS important
Front diff bulkhead in aluminum or Dlux bigger bearing one
Metal drive shaft
RPM A arms

Don't go overboard with aluminium bling as the rc becomes a heavy pig that is less responsive and more prone to break (which they are already prone to in the 1st place)

This is my 2 cents of advice, so money else might tell you different

Above all else enjoy, it's a really fun rc!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
OvrKll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 02:03 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I just went with the slightly better/faster/stronger Tactic TSX57 servo...been working great since I put my kit together.
Dbdynsty25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 02:16 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Thanks guys! Appreciate the advice. This noob needs it. I ended up ordering some electronics from RCJuice.com. I got a radio system for $49 (the Radiolink RC3S). I looked up the RTR servo specs and your recommended Tactic TSX57 and Savox servos and ended up getting a servo from RCJuice as well - K-Power DMM 150? Ive never heard of it but the torque and speed looked good 226oz/in .13 sec. Got it for $25! I'm amazed at how much electronics have come down in price. 20 yrs ago when I was racing i had an Airtronics Caliber 3PS FM radio system. That thing cost me over $300 with crap servos. A good servo used to cost around $90 and above. I was able to get the radio system, servo and an extra 3s 5200mAh 45c battery for $110 shipped.
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:50 PM   #6
RCC Addict

a few month ago same to me.
after years of retiring the hobby i was amazed on the option now available.
After restarting with a tamiya frog kit around christmas. my yeti kit came in feb.

first upgrade to the yeti kit should be imo:
Aluminium motor mount
Beeftubes for the axle
ci duece wild standard
2-speed option
replace the kit screws with better ones, i upgraded to 12.8 harded steel torx after killing some of the stock ones. use some dlittle little dip of grease if screwing into plastic, if you have to screw them out some times.

you will need shock. springs and oil to tune for your driving needs, stock is too soft to go fast imo

if your kit came with alu front links replace with steel version i used traxxas but axial came out with own ones

my kit came with hd diff gears, cvd frond axle and lower link plates. incl wildpeak tires are great with the ci foams

maybe vanquish rear upper titanium links will be good,
cause was the first thing after the rear axle (lockouts getting loose, replaced it with ssd wide diamond) that broke with out accident (bad driving by me )

depending on your motor esc combo (i have monster x and cc3800kv 5mm on 3s with 64/19) more durable wheels would be good
broke two on the rear cause of torque

now i change parts with tuning options if they will break, and they will of cause

greetz from germany

if im more used to the forum functions i will post a build thread of mine

Last edited by magic_yeti; 06-02-2016 at 03:59 PM.
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 05:51 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Aluminum Motor Mount, Aluminum Castor Blocks, MIP, AR60 Housing from DLux, Beef Tubes, F.I. Spool, new rims (mine didnt like the canadian winter), Aluminum Front Skid, RPM Arms, CI Foams, and maybe a set of aluminum steering knuckles to begin with. My Yeti is pretty close to all of that and its been very solid these days.
Ty1330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 06:57 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Could you provide some more information or a link to the screws that you are using? thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_yeti View Post
a few month ago same to me.
after years of retiring the hobby i was amazed on the option now available.
After restarting with a tamiya frog kit around christmas. my yeti kit came in feb.

first upgrade to the yeti kit should be imo:
Aluminium motor mount
Beeftubes for the axle
ci duece wild standard
2-speed option
replace the kit screws with better ones, i upgraded to 12.8 harded steel torx after killing some of the stock ones. use some dlittle little dip of grease if screwing into plastic, if you have to screw them out some times.

you will need shock. springs and oil to tune for your driving needs, stock is too soft to go fast imo

if your kit came with alu front links replace with steel version i used traxxas but axial came out with own ones

my kit came with hd diff gears, cvd frond axle and lower link plates. incl wildpeak tires are great with the ci foams

maybe vanquish rear upper titanium links will be good,
cause was the first thing after the rear axle (lockouts getting loose, replaced it with ssd wide diamond) that broke with out accident (bad driving by me )

depending on your motor esc combo (i have monster x and cc3800kv 5mm on 3s with 64/19) more durable wheels would be good
broke two on the rear cause of torque

now i change parts with tuning options if they will break, and they will of cause

greetz from germany

if im more used to the forum functions i will post a build thread of mine
8000ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 01:15 AM   #9
RCC Addict

i ordered a screwkit from rcschrauben.de (germany) for my yeti.
you can get a set by fasteddy or from knk hardware which will be easier to order instead of a german shop.
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor and esc, new guy, servo help, yeti 1/10 kit

Yeti 1/10 Kit arriving tomorrow!!! Need advice!!! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial Yeti 1/10 kit Newbie after advice Bailes Axial Yeti 6 04-03-2016 10:22 PM
get my kit tomorrow Mr.Lahey Axial Yeti XL 19 04-11-2015 09:09 PM
G6 kit and RTR arriving today need advice!!! mikesmyth11 Axial SCX-10 5 01-07-2014 01:19 PM
buying a honcho kit tomorrow- go brushless? muddinscx Axial SCX-10 16 09-03-2011 05:26 PM