Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: OS's Yeti TT Rough Rider

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2016, 11:21 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default OS's Yeti TT Rough Rider

I build an IFS/SAR truck a long time ago...

Great performer, and long since retired to the shelf. I tried a Yeti a while ago, but I thought it looked a little goofy to my eyes, and ended up selling it. I wanted another go around with a IFS/SAR truck, but wasn't sure if I wanted to build it or just buy it...and then the Yeti Score kit came out with the retro body, and I decided what the heck - why not.

I didn't take many pics of the build - everyone knows what they look like..I did make a couple of changes from stock though and added some things during the build that I consider essential.

No orange wheels are getting within 50ft of this truck. White with stock tires (forgot to order a spare though,) an aluminum steering servo arm, and metal pivot balls wherever the plastic junk is. Replaced the rear locker with a diff as well to take the stress off the rear axle, added a metal motor mount, and aluminum hubs all around.

Castle 3800 to get started. The motor mount (STRC) didn't clamp the cam at all. ??? I took a few mm off either side with a file so it would hold the motor cam in place. Strange.

Shimmed and sleeved the front arms- they had a ton of lateral play. Plan on doing something similar to my Exo.

2 speed...not sure if I'll use it, but it's a fun option.

Love the interior....the scale bits are what makes the truck imo.

Painted and ready - went with a modern take on the old Rough Riders theme since it looks like an old Ford truck to me.

I picked up a bunch of upgrade goodies when I bought it, but I like to run it stock a few times, then upgrade. Tinkering is part of the fun. Do plan to add them later, as well as some lights and some other odds and ends. An SSD centered axle is very much on the wish list.

I also picked up a Yeti body and cage off the Ebay chop shops so I can swap over later if I get bored with the TT body.

But first I need to go get it dirty...It's way too clean.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2016, 12:43 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: OS's Yeti TT Rough Rider

Nice build. I started with the same Combo on Mine.
As I went to 3s i replaced it with a Monster x , cause the sct was only rated 2s with this Motor.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5 mit Tapatalk
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 07:45 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I've got about about 8 packs through this truck, and I think I've beaten the new off of it by this point. I've been running this truck alongside my Exo, and while the Exo handles better, the Yeti flies better, no doubt. Only change I've made since building it was to remove the single stage delrin pistons and put in the 2 way pistons and 40wt oil in the shocks. I've used the 2 stage pistons in my Wraith and they seem to work well. I'm pretty happy with the suspension setup as of right now overall. It still rocks and rolls like a trophy truck should, but it's fairly well controlled and doesn't bottom out over most jumps.

The major flaw in the Yeti's handling is when you are off throttle and turning, it tricycles hard, and will roll fairly easily. Especially on pavement or any somewhat grippy surface. I've got a swaybar that I hope will help, and some other goodies I've been waiting to install.

The fenders take much of the beating..starting to show some battle scars!

Semi alarmed at how quickly this is getting chewed up. The plastic bumper mount in particular is taking a beating.

Let the mods begin....first, I removed the 2-speed. Eventually I'll turn this into a Yeti, and the 2-speed should be fun but for the trophy truck, the gears were spaced just too far apart to be useful. I just removed it to save weight.

I could see a lot of deflection in the front - all that plastic was letting the front wheels squirm around. Started with the steering rack. This STRC rack needed a bit of dremel work to clear.

No more deflection here. Arms, hubs, knuckles, shock tower and bumper mount all got some love. Swaybar added, started with the medium bar. Hopefully that cures the three wheeling.

Not really happy about this - the HR knuckles take 5x10 bearings instead of 5x11. Assume they were for the Exo and that was stock on that buggy. (No idea I upgraded mine years ago) Thankfully I had some on hand.

Buttoned back up and ready to go. No deflection here now! Much more solid than the stock setup.
Old 08-20-2016, 08:12 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

With the front done, it was time to work on the rear. Didn't add much here (yet).

I generally like STRC parts, but the design of their rear link makes no sense to me...They have a rounded edge at the ends, and instead of a taper there's zero transition to the square secion. I was having nightmares about catching that lip somehow and ripping apart the link, so I ground it down. I'm sure it would be fine, but it annoyed me so it had to go.

I added some accents to the arms as well - before and after.

Along with the lower arms, added the upper shock mounts and called it good. I'd like to get the upper links at some point, maybe on the next order. Speaking of, I was running the uppers in the middle hole, and had a ton of squat on acceleration. Moved them to to upper hole to help out.

Buttoned back up and ready for another few packs of beating. Been driving scalers for so long, forgot how much fun it was to drive at high speeds!
Old 08-20-2016, 05:30 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

T-Bone skid plates are worth the money and cheaper and easier to replace than the chassis when they get really beaten.
8000ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:01 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

New wheels! I didn't like how the rears rubbed the body badly. When landing a jump, the wheels compress up into the body and noticeably push the sides of the body out. Just looks goofy to me. Picked up a set of Slash 2wd offset rims and another set of KR's.

Can see how the fronts have a lot of clearance, but there rears are almost flush with the body. Also where the wheels have eaten away the paint.

Slash fronts mounted in the rear, and vice versa. Worked out pretty much perfect. Now just fine tuning with different size hexes.

OS's Yeti TT Rough Rider - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rough Rider Paddles chino63 Non Crawler RC's 2 07-11-2016 11:25 PM
tamiya rough rider tire q' slashkiller Non Crawler RC's 0 08-26-2011 03:48 PM
rough rider gets a makeover kuatto Non Crawler RC's 5 08-15-2009 02:05 PM