Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Yeti Foams - Wildpeak Tires

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2016, 07:57 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Yeti Foams - Wildpeak Tires

Hallo! Just picked up a set of Crawler Innovations Deuce's Wild Standard 2.2 closed cell foams (CWR-3003) for my Yeti and I am having mixed feelings about them.

The CI foams are replacing the stock kit foams on my Wildpeak 2.2 tires. The stock foams were folding over easily in hard corners and I was riding on the rim, sometimes flipping the car. With the new foams the rollovers/rim catching was reduced by almost half, and the car handles corners with much less tire roll.

My problem is that they are too stiff. They fill up the tire almost completely, and the foam is stiff so trimming wouldn't help a lot. The tires skitter over small bumps under throttle and lose traction if you're givin' er and setting up for a corner. The handling and tire stability is better, but overall surface traction went downhill. Lots of chatter.

Any recommendations for many some dual stage foams? I still want more stability than the stock foams, but way softer than what these Deuce's Wild Standards offer. I know tire roll and rollovers will increase, but it does look more scale and gets better surface traction with a softer foam. Suggestions much appreciated!

Yeti is close to stock weight, only Vanquish front and rear upper links, stock almost everything else. I haven't put it on a scale but it's not one of those fully annodized beastmode ones

Last edited by Ahod39; 09-22-2016 at 08:29 PM.
Ahod39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2016, 08:43 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Yeti Foams - Wildpeak Tires

Thats very surprising that you aren't happy with them. I have the same foam and tire set up as you and love it. My Yeti is fairly "anodized beastmode" though so maybe that has something to do with it.
Crawler505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 11:01 PM   #3
RCC Addict

i also use the standard dw foam with my wildpeak. but on mine there is aprox 0.5cm air between the foam and the tire surface. no traction issue here. due to all upgrades i made my yeti weights round 10lbs, maybe this is the difference.
i'm very happy with the ci dw foams and would recommand them as stock replacement.
Wich wheels are u using?

On my 2nd Set i use ci dd 6.0 comp cut with Voodoo klr on ssd rockracer wheels. On These the tire is sliding over the foam. This is caused by the wide of the ssd 1.5" i think, i ordered Tuning Rings to fill the gap on the sidewall.

Gesendet von meinem T1-A21L mit Tapatalk

Last edited by magic_yeti; 09-22-2016 at 11:25 PM.
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 11:27 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I've got IROK's on my yeti with CI foams and I've never had an issue with chatter and I've got a bit of wiggle room between tire and foam. I am also running 35wt all round and one stage stiffer springs. I wonder if it's a tire issue instead of foam issue. Haven't ran Wildpeaks in ages so I can't really comment on if it's that or the foams or something else
Ty1330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:28 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

I am using the stock kit wheels, the 3 piece method/axial ones. There is still a little bit of space between the tread and foam, but that is really the only part of the tire that compresses now. I think my rig is not heavy enough to compress the DW foam :(

It seems like the Double Deuce foams might have what I'm looking for, because the middle is still firm like the DW foam. Just don't know if I should go for medium or soft outer foam. Any ideas how that out foam compares to the stock axial foams?
Ahod39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 09:15 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

The single stage CI foams (especially comp cut) will break in a little bit after a few runs and become a little more plush. Not much, but I'd give em some more trail time before calling em quits.
DeviledEggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 10:37 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I have the CI DW in my Yeti and too awhile to break in. If you are going fast/U4 and is looking for future upgrades, keep this foam. If you want to keep a light rig and do eventual crawling (not really recommended with the Yeti) look for the dual stage.
DenisLM is offline   Reply With Quote

Yeti Foams - Wildpeak Tires - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tires and foams for a yeti? 802coma Tires and Wheels 1 12-03-2014 09:35 AM