Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Axial 1/18 Yeti (and Yeti Score)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2016, 11:43 PM   #241

Default Re: Axial 1/18 Yeti (and Yeti Score)

These are my first minis, how do you bypass the ESC/RX combo to install a castle Mamba micro X?
axialshipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2016, 12:33 AM   #242

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrilloThrillo110 View Post
Anybody got max. internal size of the battery Tray? What's the largest 2S anyones fitted in? I've got one on order but shipping to NZ takes ages and I'd love to have some small 2S batteries waiting for it.... any help would be appreciated. What exact battery are people running? Thanks guys?
I can measure mine for you in the morning if no one else gets to it forst
axialshipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 12:54 AM   #243
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by axialshipp View Post
These are my first minis, how do you bypass the ESC/RX combo to install a castle Mamba micro X?
Remove the whole thing and add your own rx
TownsendTdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 07:02 AM   #244
I wanna be Dave

Yeah, I'm going to have to get one of these and build a backyard U4 course. Still going to wait for them to come in stock at other retailers because I know there will be some RPP/Amain gift certificates in my near future.

Also, I found 4 2S 2000mah packs in a box that I forgot about. If finding a stash of perfectly sized batteries isn't a sign from the universe saying "buy one", then I don't know what is.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 09:50 AM   #245
Quarry Creeper

Mine arrived yesterday and already had a lot of fun with and didn't last together for very long:

The shocks was half empty so I refilled them and tight a few screws.

It's a fun little Yeti for sure
With 2S it don't need much more power IMO
The servo is a little annoying but I can live with that for more few weeks

Bottom line is totally worth the money. Glad I got it.
DenisLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 10:02 AM   #246

Quote:
Originally Posted by axialshipp View Post
Both mine came in today. Ranthe Yeti for a minute but that was it. Definitely need to get some2slipos for them.anybody else finding any issues yet besides the servo?
Yes, while adjusting settings the receiver / ESC went non-responsive. Working with Axial now, trying to get a replacement in time to have some fun with it over the holiday break.
Cometcyclonemk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 10:53 AM   #247

Sounds like I get to ship Axial the transmitter/receiver/ESC. Since I'm impatient and want to use it sooner, I'm thinking I'll replace 'em. Thoughts on a good combo for this?

Doesn't really need to be much faster, but kind of thinking of going the Castle Micro route (4100kV?) + Spektrum w/ AVC... But I'd love to hear suggestions that won't double my investment!
Old 12-15-2016, 11:13 AM   #248
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cometcyclonemk View Post
Sounds like I get to ship Axial the transmitter/receiver/ESC. Since I'm impatient and want to use it sooner, I'm thinking I'll replace 'em. Thoughts on a good combo for this?

Doesn't really need to be much faster, but kind of thinking of going the Castle Micro route (4100kV?) + Spektrum w/ AVC... But I'd love to hear suggestions that won't double my investment!
Do you have another radio already? If so, you can pick up one of these Hobbywing ESCs for $20 and keep the brushed motor for a very cheap electronics swap.

https://www.amazon.com/HobbyWing-301...hobbywing+1625
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 11:18 AM   #249
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Thoughts on a good combo for this?
Hobbywing 16BL30
HOBBYWING North America — QUICRUN 16BL30 ESC (2S-3S)

Could do any number of motors, could continue with HW and get the 2435 4500kv
HOBBYWING North America — QUICRUN 2435 SL motor 4500kv 2 pole

I have also had good luck with various 2040 Tacon motors with my dromidas, but i would probably try the one below for the yeti because of it allows the larger can size.
Tacon 2445-17T Brushless Motor 2900KV for Planes Cars Trucks 96M268-2445-2900KV-17T

I would also second the brushed HW esc if you wanted to keep it that way.
StatGSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 11:38 AM   #250

I have another radio but it's from another RTR kit / meh. So while I'd be happy to just replace the ESC, I'll also need another RX/TX.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:12 PM   #251

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
Do you have another radio already? If so, you can pick up one of these Hobbywing ESCs for $20 and keep the brushed motor for a very cheap electronics swap.

I think ideally I'd find an ESC that works with brushed and brushless so I could upgrade down the road.

If Axial replaces the Tactic combo I'm thinking they'll be a nice upgrade to the glitchy electronics in my 1/18 Gelande (my only other RC).

Thanks for all the tips - as my post count might suggest, I'm new to the hobby!
Old 12-15-2016, 02:38 PM   #252
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
For around $100 I can have a waterproof brushless combo in there. To be perfectly honest, I don't think this will be very well supported by the quality aftermarket sources like VP or SSD. Sure a couple simple parts might make it to market and Chinese parts will flourish but look how long it's taking parts to become available for the SCX10 II and that's arguably the most popular scale platform. If I see driveshafts, lockers, knuckles, etc. inside of a year I'll be surprised. A lot of the durability of this truck comes from the fact that it only weighs 1.75lbs RTR.... It's the Goldilocks of smaller scale to me. Not too micro and not too 1.9, it's just right.
Hopefully it's well made and doesn't require a ton of aftermarket 'upgrade' parts to be reliable and handle well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavaheadache View Post
Mine will be getting a Mamba Micro X ... =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoo76 View Post
The Turnigy 20amp trackstar is less than $20 the new castle micro ESCs with motor can be had for under $80 on eBay which is a nice price considering the cost and quality of the ESC. If you were in a budget you could go brushless for around $40-$50
Both great power upgrade routes, I'm suspecting stock esc/motor setup will be quite fun on 2s lipo.

Mini LST was tons of fun, but poorly designed and broke frequently.

Mini Slash has been tons of fun on 6cell nimh and 2s lipo.

These new Axials look like tons of fun and seem pretty well engineered. I like the open diffs (would be nice to see steel gears and locker options), minis are a great fun size that I can take on travel and run in smaller areas with just as much fun as my larger RC.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatGSR View Post
Hobbywing 16BL30
HOBBYWING North America — QUICRUN 16BL30 ESC (2S-3S)

Could do any number of motors, could continue with HW and get the 2435 4500kv
HOBBYWING North America — QUICRUN 2435 SL motor 4500kv 2 pole

I have also had good luck with various 2040 Tacon motors with my dromidas, but i would probably try the one below for the yeti because of it allows the larger can size.
Tacon 2445-17T Brushless Motor 2900KV for Planes Cars Trucks 96M268-2445-2900KV-17T

I would also second the brushed HW esc if you wanted to keep it that way.

Last edited by Natedog; 12-15-2016 at 02:41 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 06:30 PM   #253
I wanna be Dave

Somebody mentioned, DIFFERENTIAL OUTPUTS AND CENTER DRIVE SHAFT COUPLER
Made of a genuine DuPont™ material for strength and durability.

This is probably nylon.

Edit: Like to see side by side comparison with LaTraxx SST truck running next to the Mini Yeti Score truck.

Last edited by Natedog; 12-15-2016 at 06:57 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 07:01 PM   #254
I wanna be Dave

Well, I was hoping to come home to find a little box at my door, but nothing.

Tracking number says "Left at Front Door", but nope, nothing at all. Checked all around the house, and at the neighbor's houses. Nothing. I live in a semi-secluded area at the end of a cul-de-sac, so it is highly unlikely that a passer-by stole it. I am definitely NOT HAPPY right now. I have a "ticket" open with UPS and the driver is supposed to call me back in the next hour to let me know where exactly he left it.

Also, I was the one the mentioned the material, based on DuPont's offerings it is either Delrin or Nylon, but I assume that if it was Delrin, they would have just said that.
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 07:06 PM   #255
I wanna be Dave

Sometimes the drivers will mark things as delivered so they can go home. It's against policy but is often done. One of my wife's friend's husband is retired UPS. I had a package marked delivered and wasn't and I got pissed. She called her friend and that's what had happened. You'll likely get it first of the route tomorrow.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 07:11 PM   #256
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
Sometimes the drivers will mark things as delivered so they can go home. It's against policy but is often done. One of my wife's friend's husband is retired UPS. I had a package marked delivered and wasn't and I got pissed. She called her friend and that's what had happened. You'll likely get it first of the route tomorrow.
That would make sense if the tracking was updated later in the day, but this showed delivered at 11am, so I doubt that is the case.

As f'd up as that situation would be, there's a claim out. So if the driver has it, it is now noted that it WASN'T delivered, and that is a mark against them.

JCAD parts for this thing will be delayed until I get the package, and can start prototyping and testing.
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 07:31 PM   #257
Quarry Creeper

Mine appears to be lost in transit somewhere as well. Kind of bummed, hoping it shows up tomorrow
Lavaheadache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 07:50 PM   #258
I wanna be Dave

Sorry about your bad luck MR, that exact same thing has happened to me before and it's b cause my UPS package was handed off to USPS for delivery. UPS marked it as delivered as soon as they gave it to USPS and I didn't get it until the next day. Total BS because it was parts I was very anxious to get and followed tracking a dozen times a day. Hopefully you get it soon and someone learns a lesson not to F with people's packages and tracking.

I did just get mine and while the battery is charging I wanted post a couple comparison pics. This is next to an SCX10 II Currie rear so you can see the width and size difference and also a couple shots next to my SCX10 II with an 11 and 3/4 inch wheelbase. If anybody wants any specific pics let me know. Now's the time before I get it covered in dirt.

Initial thoughts are, this truck feels very high quality and not toy grade at all. The suspension has a ton of travel front and especially rear, much more than I thought it would. The shocks also feel surprisingly smooth and mine were actually filled with oil. There's some slop in the caster blocks and knuckles but not too bad. There's an unfamiliar sponginess to the entire driveline because of all the plastic but it feels entirely slop free. The anti sway rear three link is designed and works really well. The tire compound feels great and the foam density is spot on. The graphics are nice, the interior could benefit from some detailing, overall in really pleased with the quality.

I'll be heading to the hobby shop this weekend with baby Yeti in hand to show it off and find the perfect lipos. Much more info to come including my first drive impression. I'm very excited to give this little guy a thorough shakedown.
Attached Images

SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 09:01 PM   #259

I will probably have mine converted to Spektrum by the weekend. A little expo goes a long way. I've got a couple 1/18 ESC's laying around from all the brushless conversions in my others.

Now, the servo mount is part of the ESC/RX block but there is a lot of room under the body. I figure I'll pop the top off of the ESC/RX combo, gut that sucker clean and tape the new electronics to whatever is left over in there. Should be easy peasy.

Last edited by Captain_Torquepants; 12-15-2016 at 09:03 PM.
Captain_Torquepants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 09:02 PM   #260
I wanna be Dave

Now all we need is a 1/18 bomber and DMG to work his magic and make an 1/18 ifs bomber!
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote

Axial 1/18 Yeti (and Yeti Score) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial yeti turned into a score? 1964yeti Newbie General 6 08-18-2016 12:47 AM
Upgrading Axial yeti score Naosis Newbie General 3 08-11-2016 05:49 AM