Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Axial 1/18 Yeti (and Yeti Score)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2016, 11:01 PM   #301

Default Re: Axial 1/18 Yeti (and Yeti Score)

Aha! Here is the Hobbywing version of my HPI ESC for $21. Overkill? Absolutely, but the price is nice.

And here is the Spektrum servo I'm using for $11. I can't tell you the specs because Spektrum doesn't even know them. All I know is, it's bigger, stronger, waterproof and it fits.

Now you just need your RX of choice and you've got a much more reliable buggy!

Still looking for that perfect servo.

Last edited by Captain_Torquepants; 12-17-2016 at 11:16 PM.
Captain_Torquepants is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2016, 05:47 AM   #302
Rock Stacker

Will definitely be ordering one as soon as they are in stock somewhere other than axial racing..then a coupon can be used. Lol
flat6extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 06:04 AM   #303
RCC Addict

I'm a little jealous, cause u can play with little Yeti.
Cause of shipping costs i have to wait till it's available here in Europe.
Hopefully this will not take too Long.
Advantage i know from Start what needs to be upgraded. But figuring that out would be even more fun too.
Looks like it is a little fun beast like his big brother

sent by magic_yeti
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 09:49 AM   #304

Took my Jr to the U4 race yesterday and did some laps on the track. Was a little tough getting through some of the rock sections, but hella fun. Ran 2 lipo packs and the stock pack through it with no issues. The steering is less than desirable, but it worked. Now it's time to tear into it and make some improvements.
C2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 10:22 AM   #305
Rock Stacker

well, upgraded to 2s lipo and within 30 seconds esc went up in smoke. stock servo and everything else. sad they dent it with such sh!t electronics... oh yeah and steering servo is by far the most pathetic i have ever seen.
scott1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 11:45 AM   #306
Rock Stacker

I got mine Friday and trying to not touch it till Sunday. Going to be for my daughter and I. I did take it out to charge the battery and do a quick quick test run. The servo was terrible as I'd imagined but I ordered a Hitec HS-5070MG as a stocking stuffer to go with it.

My question is that it seems a few of you have had issues with the ESC quitting. Was not planning on upgrading that but if it doesn't work I've got no choice. I'm leaving on vacation for a week after Xmas and was planning on taking it with me. Do I get an ESC just to be safe? I really did not want to have to upgrade so quick. Buying the dam thing was a splurge. I'm crossing my fingers mine works. But I don't want to be staring at a broken truck for a week either.

I'd like to put in Mamba Micro X Extreme 1:18 Scale ESC eventually. Didn't think I'd have to do it right away. $75 bucks plus an RX. I like the stock controller because it's small and easy to take places but with the Micro X you get an aux wire to adjust drag brake. That means another $40 for ahttp://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPMSR310

What to do?
blkbart00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 01:39 PM   #307
Quarry Creeper

Looks like a ccol little truck.
But man am i tired of rtr's with shit elektroniks, glad i didnt jump on it when released..
Rcdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 01:57 PM   #308

My son received one from his grandparents today. Steering will not work. It makes a buzzing/crackling sound bit will not move.
Space Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 02:05 PM   #309
Rock Crawler

Blkbart00 if you have a tx/rx you can put in it I would suggest getting a hobbywing 1060wp its cheap at under $20 and should work fine if the stocker craps out

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk
Jcplante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 05:18 PM   #310
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Wrangler View Post
My son received one from his grandparents today. Steering will not work. It makes a buzzing/crackling sound bit will not move.
Yeah my servo sounded like a Skrillex song right before it stopped doing anything at all. This is exactly what I was talking about. These are the kinds of things that kill a sport. New buyers having horrible first experiences with a company and turning to Walmart or Amazon for Chinese knockoffs that perform better or at least run for a month or so before breaking because they crashed hard into the garage door. Sure there are those of us that are the understanding faithful customer but we were all new buyers at one time and if I had had this experience with my first Axial truck out of the gate, I would've returned it and said never again. Some wonder why Traxxas has such a large market share. Their cars are truly reliable with stock everything. I have a friend who's been abusing a 1/16 slash for 6-7 months now with no issues. I got this Yeti Jr. So I could show him up.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 08:56 PM   #311
I wanna be Dave

I hope the forum adds a section specific to the Yeti Jr's soon. This thread is starting to get cluttered with things that could be their own thread... but anyways, to clutter it more:

I am testing some locker designs this week, and should have a pre-order thread and more info soon (once they add the Yeti Jr. section, at least).

I got to run mine for a little while on the stock electronics, and I am actually surprised on how durable it is. I crashed, and really wasn't careful with it, jumping snow piles, flipping over, traction rolling (which it did a LOT, maybe the higher up battery is the cause?), I even did the "reverse to full throttle wheelie" (which is notorious for breaking differential gears) a few times, and nothing broke. It was clear the servo needs to be switched out, but I expected to swap all of the electronics. I have never used RTR electronics for more than a quick test run.

I somehow doubt that they will release a kit version, but I could see them release an ARTR version that is sans electronics. (Or release a "pro" version with some aluminum hop-ups and no electronics... I could see them do that too.)

I'm having some good fun with this thing though, and despite the crap electronics, I highly recommend getting one. You could swap to some inexpensive electronics and still have a ton of fun with these.

Last edited by monkeyracer; 12-18-2016 at 08:59 PM.
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 09:07 PM   #312
Quarry Creeper

I have a feeling Axial's phone is going to ring off the hook tomorrow. I can't get over how terrible the stock electronics are. For $180 I'm pretty pissed. My Latrax Teton was a far better value at $130.
Lavaheadache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 10:10 PM   #313
Quarry Creeper

So has anyone gone brushless yet? I'm gonna be waiting ages still for mine to turn up (yes it sucks hearing you may have a lemon before it's even arrived) and was wondering whether I should go and order a Castle system now to same inevitable down time. I'm just wondering how it all holds up to brushless 2S (or 3S) power?????
TrilloThrillo110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 10:18 PM   #314
Scale Detail Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavaheadache View Post
I have a feeling Axial's phone is going to ring off the hook tomorrow. I can't get over how terrible the stock electronics are. For $180 I'm pretty pissed. My Latrax Teton was a far better value at $130.
I've gone back and forth on the Teton... I would love to see a comparison review, or even a few side by side pictures.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 10:34 PM   #315
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyh66 View Post
I've gone back and forth on the Teton... I would love to see a comparison review, or even a few side by side pictures.
Teton is awesome. A few of us race them at our local indoor carpet track. We have all gone brushless and they rip. A quick upgrade to rc18 ball diffs along with the brushless setup and aluminum axles and you're off. Servo will inevitably strip out after a few crashes into walls but then you can step up to a metal gear servo and it'll be bullet proof.

Waiting on brushless system and servo. The Latrax brushed ESC is actually a great replacement system for the stock junk.

Built Teton

Teton truggy

The rest of the electric clan. Just want to clarify that the Yeti XL is a fully decked out kit version that I bought an RTR body off eBay cause my original one went to poop. Can't have anybody thinking I didn't build mine ��

Last edited by Lavaheadache; 12-19-2016 at 12:23 AM.
Old 12-18-2016, 11:31 PM   #316
Quarry Creeper

You guys should try switching the front shock oil to 10wt. Seems like there is way better movement. 30wt just seems like it's too much fluid to move in this thing. I haven't driven it like this since mine is out of commission so maybe somebody can test it out in the mean time.

Last edited by Lavaheadache; 12-19-2016 at 12:10 AM.
Old 12-19-2016, 12:40 AM   #317
Scale Detail Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavaheadache View Post
Teton is awesome.

The rest of the electric clan.
Thanks man!
I'm a big fan of the micro and mini size rigs.

I've got the Traxxas MERV, Losi Micro Truggy, Micro DT, Micro T, Kyosho Mini Z MT, and a bunch of little crawlers.

I've punished the MERV VXL since day one and it just takes it.
I love the idea of the Teton but wasn't sure about it's durability as a tiny basher.

I think I'll pick up a Yeti Jr. after some of the plastic has upgrades.
(Btw, one of my all time favorite micros is the Kyosho Mini Z MT but the fets burned out and I never fixed it. For it's size, it handled great... better than the Losi Truggy. I would like to give the Mini 8 a go at some point too)
Old 12-19-2016, 12:45 AM   #318
Scale Detail Engineering

... and a Teton!
Old 12-19-2016, 08:17 AM   #319
Rock Crawler

I really miss my Merv, Like alot
That bitch was a blast on 3S.
I have a few Tetons that the kids dont play with anymore. Maybe I should upgrade one of them. Hmmm
redemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 12:14 PM   #320
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by redemon View Post
I really miss my Merv, Like alot
That bitch was a blast on 3S.
I have a few Tetons that the kids dont play with anymore. Maybe I should upgrade one of them. Hmmm
I upgraded my father-in-law's Teton with a Castle Sidewinder Micro + brushless motor combo (don't remember the KV) and it hauls ass with a 3S battery.
tuanies is offline   Reply With Quote

Axial 1/18 Yeti (and Yeti Score) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial yeti turned into a score? 1964yeti Newbie General 6 08-18-2016 12:47 AM
Upgrading Axial yeti score Naosis Newbie General 3 08-11-2016 05:49 AM