Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Axial 1/18 Yeti (and Yeti Score)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2016, 10:24 PM   #361
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Axial 1/18 Yeti (and Yeti Score)

By the way, I managed to stuff a Zippy Flightmax 3S 45C 2000mah battery in the tray. The dimensions were 102mm x 36mm x 24mm, and is about as big as you can fit in the tray. It's a lot of weight up high though.
I haven't been able to run it, since I need to solder the right connectors for my Mamba Micro Pro, but I'll be sure to report back when I do.

Also, I mounted the Power HD 1711MG in, and it fits great. I'll let you guys know how it works out.

You might be able to fit a short standard servo in this if you really needed to.
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2016, 11:25 PM   #362
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvrc View Post
What's the tire smell situation with these jr rtrs?
It's refreshing and distinctive but not near strong enough.

Thanks for the cool pics JD. Way better than an IPB.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 06:36 AM   #363
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvrc View Post
What's the tire smell situation with these jr rtrs?
It's probably just your electronics getting ready to burn up
Lavaheadache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 07:35 AM   #364
Rock Stacker

Axial.. remove all electronics and drop the price
To 109$ for a roller. ���� Problem solved.
flat6extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 09:56 AM   #365

Drove it twice today. The first time was absolute crap. Steering basically didn't work. I brought it inside, pulled the front wheels, loosened the screws in the c hubs to free up the steering a little, and tried again. It was better but still barely controllable. Steering while stopped doesn't move the wheels at all. Steering while driving on smooth pavement takes a loooong time for the wheels to eventually come around. Steering while driving on rough terrain is slightly better because running over stuff takes weight off the front wheels BUT the ground still has more influence on steering than I do. I ordered a HG-65MG. If the ESC fries, I'll throw a Traxxas reciever and a Hobbywing ESC in it. Ohh and I lost a body clip already.
JDurgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 09:57 AM   #366
Quarry Creeper

Chalk me up for another with burned up servo. It lasted a (stock) battery and a half before it completely seized. The only micro servos that I had on hand are Hitec HS-5087MH. It was simple to install. I used a standard aluminum servo horn and mystery servo mounts. Other than bench testing I have not ran with the new servo. I am thinking of installing a BEC to maybe take a load off the ESC/Receiver.

FYI, the stock ESC feeds the servo 5 Volts.

Rant, Why even bother to manufacture, produce and distribute such junk electronics?

Axial did lose a couple of sales to a co-worker of mine. He just went through an ordeal with a couple of Wal-Mart RCs for his boys. The Wal-Mart RCs didn't last more than a day. He exchanged them and "stepped-up for the more expensive ones". They still didn't last long. He had seen the Jr. Yeti on Facebook, he heard that I was getting one and was excited to see it first hand before buying.

He was hopping to get a couple for his boys and forget the Wal-mart fiasco. When he heard that I had to start swapping electronics already, he said "No Way, why spend three times the price of the Wal-Mart RCs only to have it fail just as quick". I explained to him the difference between hobby grade and toy grade. He didn't care. No RCs for his boys.
Chiphead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:20 AM   #367

I had mine a couple of days now. During battery #3 (2s 2200mah lipo) it went totally unresponsive.

Castle Creations Mamba Micro and motor, HiTec HS-5085MG, and Tactic TR326 are on the way.

I love the truck. The electronics are crap.
Crashtack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 11:04 AM   #368
Quarry Creeper

Looks like mine is an exception here. Still working great with the stock electronics. The stock servo is weak and annoying but still works fine.

I do want to change all the electronics but for now I will wait you guys test all the servos/esc/motors before I make my decision.
DenisLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 12:40 PM   #369
I wanna be Dave

Keep calling Axial guys. The only way they'll turn this into a kit or put better components in, is if they hear enough feedback. Sheldon invited me to mail mine in so they can "figure out what's going on". I said no thanks, I've already diagnosed the problems and have quality replacements on the way. The money I saved in shipping it back to them so they could tell me what I already told them payed for the new ESC alone. It's infuriating dealing with the Magoo attitude of these "tech support" guys. I've had dealings with them in the past and it was always a much more pleasant experience. They must have the B team taking calls for this Yeti Jr. fiasco. I'm sure I'll turn this into a really fun truck to play with in the near future but what a disappointment this whole experience has been.
Old 12-21-2016, 04:36 PM   #370

Default Axial 1/18 Yeti (and Yeti Score)

Finally got the stuff to go 2S on mine today! The 2400 50C fit with room to spare in every direction. It's definitely spunkier. It can pick the front wheels up from a stop on a grippy surface, and I can slide it around or do donuts with ease on tile. Didn't help the worthless steering servo center better, though! I've got the Spektrum servo mentioned earlier on the way (I was going to go Hitec until I saw they were frying everyone's ESC), but I'm still leery of changing it, since mine seems to be one of the few working well out of the box so far.

Last edited by guards951; 12-21-2016 at 04:46 PM.
guards951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 09:15 PM   #371
Quarry Creeper

It's been cold and wet here so I just got the jr out for the first time today. Ripped a few laps around my mini track. It's fun. With stock motor on 2s, I had the throttle pinned for most of the lap. I've got an extra losi mini8 brushless setup I'll be putting in soon. My other minis are all brushless so it feels a little pokey, but it's got plenty of torque for screwing around/ bashing. I wanted to use my tx so I didn't even use the stock electronics, so I can't comment on how mine fared. Handled better than I expected- using a hs-225mg with no saver (crashed a few times hard no issues).

Had a wheel screw back out, only problem so far. Hope that doesn't become a usual thing. Wish it had threaded axles with nuts.

I had a 1/18 ECX ruckus for a bit, and on the track it feels very similar, but the yeti jr. has grippier tires and more suspension. Same size motor and speed. For $120 the ECX comes with a spektrum mini sized servo and a larger but more durable receiver/ esc. It's not as "cool" and ifs front and rear, but looks somewhat similar. If anyone wants something like the yeti jr but doesn't want to mess with upgrading electronics, check out the ECX ruckus as an alternative.

Fun truck though, definitely a keeper.

Last edited by TownsendTdi; 12-21-2016 at 09:17 PM.
TownsendTdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 09:52 PM   #372
Rock Stacker

Just picked up the hobbywing 7800 combo and a 65MG servo.

I'm taking this little monster to Iraq with me next month
abailey21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 02:28 AM   #373
I wanna be Dave

Great video Townsend, thanks for sharing. Nice little track you got there too. The truck looks like so much fun, I can't wait to drive mine for the first time after having it in hand for a couple weeks.
Old 12-22-2016, 06:50 AM   #374
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by abailey21 View Post
Just picked up the hobbywing 7800 combo and a 65MG servo.
that motor will not be happy in the yeti, the 5300 ezrun i have in my dromida is boiling hot after a 5 min indoor carpet race. the 2030 motors are just too small for in my opinion. I wouldnt try anything smaller than a 2040 in a yeti, but really would look for a 2440 or 2445 if I had one. Hopefully you at-least got the 25a esc combo

Last edited by StatGSR; 12-22-2016 at 06:52 AM.
StatGSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 07:24 AM   #375
Quarry Creeper

Nice video Townsendtdi....

finally after a week of ownership and basically zero driving, my servo (Hs-65) and Mamba micro x combo shows up today. I also have an hs-85 showing up today so I may go with that one instead if the 65 is lacking.

Sucks that my Jr. was a complete dud out of box. I hope people have been voicing their experiences to Axial.
Old 12-22-2016, 07:24 AM   #376
Quarry Creeper

Double Post

Last edited by Lavaheadache; 12-22-2016 at 07:45 AM.
Old 12-22-2016, 08:50 AM   #377
Rock Crawler

Townsendtdi- I have s 1/18 ruckus too but I dont run it much because it likes to eat diff gears and they dont make an upgrade for it. Did you have this problem?

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk
Jcplante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 08:52 AM   #378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiphead View Post
He was hopping to get a couple for his boys and forget the Wal-mart fiasco. When he heard that I had to start swapping electronics already, he said "No Way, why spend three times the price of the Wal-Mart RCs only to have it fail just as quick". I explained to him the difference between hobby grade and toy grade. He didn't care. No RCs for his boys.
Honestly I hardly consider this hobby grade. What makes something hobby grade? Better quality? It's not. Replacement parts availability? They aren't yet. A relatively standardized design (to swap wheels, a single piece of electronics, battery connectors, etc)? It's not. Don't get me wrong, I still like the little thing but I almost feel like I spent $180 on something I could've got at Walmart.
JDurgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 09:22 AM   #379
Quarry Creeper

I nearly got two packs through the Jr with the new servo before the ESC shit-to-bed.

My son and I were taking turns doing laps around the kitchen and living room when the truck suddenly stopped. I opened it up, unplugged the battery and then burnt my finger touching the ESC. That thing was hotter than hell. I let it cool down and charged up the battery (still using stock). Before calling it a night, I plugged the battery in and nothing. No LED light, no sounds, the ESC/Receiver is toast.

I ordered up a Mamba Micro X and a receiver for my 4PL. My wife is pissed. She surprised me with it for Christmas and it is already a paperweight.

It will be a great little rig once I dump some cash into it.
Chiphead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 09:29 AM   #380
Quarry Creeper

Yep, stock esc and servo is Rubbermaid worthy..... as in trash bin filler

Axial 1/18 Yeti (and Yeti Score) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial yeti turned into a score? 1964yeti Newbie General 6 08-18-2016 12:47 AM
Upgrading Axial yeti score Naosis Newbie General 3 08-11-2016 05:49 AM