Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Axial 1/18 Yeti (and Yeti Score)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2016, 09:58 AM   #381
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Axial 1/18 Yeti (and Yeti Score)

kikcaffine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2016, 10:01 AM   #382
I wanna be Dave

It seems a few of you are mad that the electronics are not great out of the box. It has been my experience that RTR electronics are almost always crap, no matter the brand. They need to make a profit of course, and they need to hit a target price point. How are they going to do that? Cheap electronics. It isn't rocket science. It is industry standard.
Yes, there should be an electronics free version, but that can't be marketed to the new guy. The RTR can work ok out of the box with the stock electronics. The ARTR version is hopefully coming though.

Hobby grade is becoming a grayer line than it has been in the past. Hobby grade meant something that was upgradeable, or with replacement parts and made with slightly better components. With brands trying to compete with the "Wal-Mart" or toy grade prices, they have reduced quality in some areas.
Upgrades and replacement parts are coming. Axial already has almost all replacement parts loaded to their website (you can "pre-order" them right now), and other sales channels are going to be seeing those soon as well.

Sure, for the guy buying these for the kids to play with, there's a chance they would be disappointed, but if Axial had put higher quality electronics in this, the price point would have been higher. And there are a lot of you that would not have bought one at that higher price, or would complain that it is a higher price than it should be. They really can't win with you guys sometimes.

Can you get a replacement driveshaft for your Wal Mart RC? What about when the kid runs it flat out into a wall and breaks the suspension arms, or whatever else could break... I bet you'll be mad that now you have something totally unusable VS being able to (very soon) just swap in a replacement part if you had the Yeti Jr.
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 10:15 AM   #383
Quarry Creeper

I get it with the toy grade versus hobby grade. The Yeti Jr. is an awesome platform!

It has been my experience with Axial RTRs is their RTR electronics are sub-par. I have bought Traxxas and Team Associated RTRs, with those I upgraded when I wanted to. With every Axial RTR I have bought I have to buy electronics within the first week just to keep them running. I wouldn't be so butthurt if I could at least a few battery packs through them before I have to turn around and spend more money.

Monkeyracer, have you seen the size of the servo they put in the Yeti Jr?
Chiphead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 10:25 AM   #384
I wanna be Dave

The problem, MonkeyRacer, is that most of our electronics couldn't survive the 10 minute out of the box session messing around in the kitchen/living room/garage. My stock Wraith electronics were fine for at least a month of outside crawling and playing. My Bomber RTR electronics didn't give me any problems. I replaced them because I was ready to upgrade. Look at the failure rate that's being displayed here and the timeline in which these parts are failing. Even if they are surviving for one or two people, the performance is so bad because the components won't even let you control the truck. This is not one of those cases where we all know we will want to upgrade eventually. This is a case where Axial cut too many corners and we had to pay good money for trash parts.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 10:43 AM   #385
I wanna be Dave

x2.

Pull the junk electronics at the warehouse to sell as spares and sell the rollers as rollers. Buyers of rollers would know enough to understand an opened box purchase.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 10:48 AM   #386
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiphead View Post
Monkeyracer, have you seen the size of the servo they put in the Yeti Jr?
Yes, I've already got a new servo roughly mounted. They are tiny for sure though, and the servo saver hurts the performance of it as well.

To be honest, this servo has been MUCH better than the last 1/18 RTR I had, the Losi Mini LST2. The gears stripped in that servo by the end of the driveway. I was able to swap the chassis for an extended length one that fit a standard servo on the MLST2, but then the diffs stripped immediately after. I didn't get that thing to drive more than a few feet without completely breaking. The yeti has yet to break on me, but it's apart right now to test fit the products I am developing for it.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:53 AM   #387
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
This is not one of those cases where we all know we will want to upgrade eventually. This is a case where Axial cut too many corners and we had to pay good money for trash parts.
I agree. Too many corners cut.
But it gets the truck to market, and a hobby shop is more likely to sell the RTR, and use the crap electronics as an excuse to upsell to better stuff. As much as we don't like it, it was a business decision. Sure there will be some people that will be mad, but most newbies are going to buy one, ignore the hobby shop upsell, then when they try to bring it back, they buy some cheap, but a little better than stock electronics.
I would much rather have not wasted my money on the electronics, but I wanted to start making parts right away, so I was fine with paying a little more up front to get one of the first batch, knowing the electronics would be coming out and replaced with better stuff.

Last edited by monkeyracer; 12-22-2016 at 10:58 AM.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:16 AM   #388
RCC Addict

To be honest with cheaper electronics u just save a few cents in production costs.
I think axial knows that they are at the limit with this Electro Setup and that's the reason they only sell it directly. And don't forget it's the first batch. Like a beta test.

I will get one for sure if it will be available here in germany for a decent price.

sent by magic_yeti
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 11:55 AM   #389
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracer View Post
It seems a few of you are mad that the electronics are not great out of the box. It has been my experience that RTR electronics are almost always crap, no matter the brand. They need to make a profit of course, and they need to hit a target price point. How are they going to do that? Cheap electronics. It isn't rocket science. It is industry standard.
Yes, there should be an electronics free version, but that can't be marketed to the new guy. The RTR can work ok out of the box with the stock electronics. The ARTR version is hopefully coming though.

Hobby grade is becoming a grayer line than it has been in the past. Hobby grade meant something that was upgradeable, or with replacement parts and made with slightly better components. With brands trying to compete with the "Wal-Mart" or toy grade prices, they have reduced quality in some areas.
Upgrades and replacement parts are coming. Axial already has almost all replacement parts loaded to their website (you can "pre-order" them right now), and other sales channels are going to be seeing those soon as well.

Sure, for the guy buying these for the kids to play with, there's a chance they would be disappointed, but if Axial had put higher quality electronics in this, the price point would have been higher. And there are a lot of you that would not have bought one at that higher price, or would complain that it is a higher price than it should be. They really can't win with you guys sometimes.

Can you get a replacement driveshaft for your Wal Mart RC? What about when the kid runs it flat out into a wall and breaks the suspension arms, or whatever else could break... I bet you'll be mad that now you have something totally unusable VS being able to (very soon) just swap in a replacement part if you had the Yeti Jr.
Who do you think the target audience will be for this vehicle? My guess would be first time hobby grade RC buyers. Folks with little experience and probably less patience. At a minimum, sell them something that makes it down the driveway a few times.
If the target audience was us (axial fans, rc fanatics, forum readers) it would have been a kit.
Since they sold it directly and with no marketing, my guess is we are the guinea pigs for this experiment.
Hopefully this is just a growing pain for stepping into a new market. Maybe next batches will be better....I hope.

Also if someone did buy this for there kid, to be opened Christmas morning. They will be sadly disappointed. At least a walmart toy will probably work through the weekend.
raul shabinguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 12:12 PM   #390
Quarry Creeper

So anyone dropping in the Losi sensored brushless 1/18 setup into the Yeti Jr? Is a sensored motor even necessary?

Losi: 1/18 Xcelorin Sensored ESC/Motor Combo: MRC: Losi (LOSB9567)
tuanies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 12:55 PM   #391
I wanna be Dave

That's a 280 size can. The specs on Axial's website say it's a 380. IIRC, a 40t brushed is mid 2000kV and that Losi combo is sub 20t. I would imagine it would cog and overheat due to its size. I wouldn't think a sensored would be needed for bashing about unless high kV for high speeds are wanted.

28mm OD brushless motor is a 380-390 equivalent size. The length will be the deciding factor in making it fit.

Previously posted pic. Note the clearance at the end of the can.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 01:01 PM   #392

Wow. So we should expect to be buying trash for $180? There's no justifying the fact Axial HAD to have known the electronics would fail more often than not within the first couple packs. That's ridiculous. My $180 truck doesn't even steer and I'm a lucky one! I've never had an RTR that didn't at least function. Sure there are plenty that exaggerate their performance claims a little bit but come on... people buy RTR because they don't want to buy their own electronics. Servo is trash, ESCs smoke right away, and the TX is built in. So here we are paying for an operational RC, expecting an operational RC, and basically receiving a roller with a side of disappointment and frustration.
JDurgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 02:30 PM   #393

If anyone wants to sell one to me for $120 send me a msg
Michael22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 02:59 PM   #394
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael22 View Post
If anyone wants to sell one to me for $120 send me a msg
Or that same person could return it to Axial for $180. Maybe I'll just go outside and light $60 on fire in my driveway.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 03:28 PM   #395
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Or that same person could return it to Axial for $180. Maybe I'll just go outside and light $60 on fire in my driveway.
lol
Lavaheadache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 03:45 PM   #396

Quote:
Ya you could do both but the second part I wouldn't recommend as I believe you could get fined or sent to prison for a yr if your caught
Michael22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 03:49 PM   #397

Well they are in stock at Tower.
singletracksean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 04:22 PM   #398
Quarry Creeper

Mamba Micro Yeti X

Also

Mamba Monster Yeti XL X. Lol.

Too bad my Score only has a sidewinder 8th.

Guess I'll have to build an 1/10 Yeti RR with a new Mamba X when it comes out.

Also put the hitec hs-85 mg. Beastly steering with beastly power. It has the 4100 kv motor and I kid you not there is a bit of torque twist on acceleration.

I dropped a spare vxl 380 in the slot cause somebody wanted to know if it fits... well it does.

Last edited by Lavaheadache; 12-22-2016 at 04:33 PM.
Lavaheadache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 05:30 PM   #399
I wanna be Dave

I am going to jump on the complain wagon, well, cause I can, my money and a free country.

Put a 2s in it and no excite, at all. Probably won't spend the $100 on the castle system. Not sure what I will do with it now. Looks cool sitting on the shelf though.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 05:37 PM   #400
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavaheadache View Post

I dropped a spare vxl 380 in the slot cause somebody wanted to know if it fits... well it does.

It looks like it fits, but what pinion do you have to go with? What I am looking at: what if you went with a small pinion, can you get the ass end of the can close enough without hitting the rear driveshaft housing? Looks tight.
Chiphead is offline   Reply With Quote

Axial 1/18 Yeti (and Yeti Score) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial yeti turned into a score? 1964yeti Newbie General 6 08-18-2016 12:47 AM
Upgrading Axial yeti score Naosis Newbie General 3 08-11-2016 05:49 AM