Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Axial 1/18 Yeti (and Yeti Score)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2016, 05:41 PM   #401
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Axial 1/18 Yeti (and Yeti Score)

Sorry to hear about the issues with some units. I received mine and have had no issues to date. Maybe the air here in Canada's north is different and things aren't causing problems with electrics (kidding). finger on the trigger however for mamba system in case things go wrong. So far so good!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Fookison is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2016, 06:02 PM   #402
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuanies View Post
So anyone dropping in the Losi sensored brushless 1/18 setup into the Yeti Jr? Is a sensored motor even necessary?

Losi: 1/18 Xcelorin Sensored ESC/Motor Combo: MRC: Losi (LOSB9567)
Im sure nobody will be buying it, since you know, its not for sale anymore.... but yeah, if sensored was an option people would be buying it because its better.
StatGSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 06:40 PM   #403
I wanna be Dave

The real question is, why don't we have a sub forum yet?
XSRCdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 07:40 PM   #404
I wanna be Dave

Got the 1711mg installed:

Fits REALLY well in there.
Good strong servo that doesn't cost alot:

Pololu - $12
Aloft Hobbies - $7.30

Double the torque of the stock servo (49oz-in @ 6v). Also the 23 spline servo saver that comes in the kit works, but I didn't want a servo saver for my build.

You don't have to spend a lot to get better stuff installed...
By the way, I tried this on the stock RX/ESC and it didn't like it. I have a feeling there is something weird about using other servos on the 2-in-1 unit that comes with these.
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 08:40 PM   #405

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavaheadache View Post

Mamba Micro Yeti X
Very nice! What pinion? Everything fit without issue? I might be doing this sooner than later...unexpectedly...
guards951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 09:00 PM   #406
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by guards951 View Post
Very nice! What pinion? Everything fit without issue? I might be doing this sooner than later...unexpectedly...
Just using the stock pinion for now, everything fit fine
Lavaheadache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 09:45 PM   #407
Quarry Creeper

Well, I think it's been established that the electronics side of things is looking a bit rough, but what's everyone's opinions on the chassis side of things???? I doubt I'll have mine before the new year so anything to torture me less is good (so tell me that chassis is good!) Anyone locked the rear diff yet? I'm also thinking I might go ahead and purchase a Mamba Micro system before it arrives, just to save down time
TrilloThrillo110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 09:59 PM   #408

Quote:
Just using the stock pinion for now, everything fit fine
Sweet! Just got everything ordered.
I wonder which plastic driveline component will let go first... Haha
guards951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 06:38 AM   #409

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrilloThrillo110 View Post
Well, I think it's been established that the electronics side of things is looking a bit rough, but what's everyone's opinions on the chassis side of things???? I doubt I'll have mine before the new year so anything to torture me less is good (so tell me that chassis is good!) Anyone locked the rear diff yet? I'm also thinking I might go ahead and purchase a Mamba Micro system before it arrives, just to save down time
I love the chassis. Easy to work on and seems to perform great. Suspension is set up pretty good out of the box for my terrain. It does traction roll pretty easily with the relatively sticky tires and the battery mounted so high but it's a lot of fun. I suspect it'll be my favorite RC once I get the electronics sorted out.
JDurgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 07:34 AM   #410
I wanna be Dave

I was looking at some inexpensive electronics upgrades for this:

Servo - Power HD 1711mg - $12
ESC - Hobbywing Quicrun 1625 (Waterproof) - $20
Radio - FlySky FS-GT2E (with receiver) - $25
Deans Connector pair - $3 (to upgrade stock battery and HW ESC Connectors, allows easy upgrade in the future to LiPo.)

So, $60 to swap to better electronics (less if you already have a radio. Also, you might be able to find a set of used electronics for cheap as well.)

If you want a little more power, there are other 380 brushed motors out there, like the Traxxas Titan 380, Xtreme 380X heli motor, etc. Most of the 380 Brushed motors are fairly inexpensive as well.

You could also swap the motor for a brushless system:

ESC - Hobbywing Quicrun 16BL30 with 2435 motor - $55

This would be $95 total including the radio and servo above.

Of course there are other options, but I think that this would be a decent, inexpensive step up from the stock electronics.

Yes, it sucks that you would have to immediately pay for electronics, but it doesn't have to be expensive. If my son was old enough to play with RC cars, this brushed set up above would be what I would get for him.

It would just be nice to have the option to not pay for the stock electronics and just get the above stuff.

As far as the vehicle is concerned, it is pretty awesome. It traction rolls really easy, but the heaviest part of it (the battery) sits almost completely above the height of the tires. If we could mount that closer to center and lower down, that would help a lot with that. (JC Auto Design might look into an alternative battery mount)

Also... When do we get a sub-forum for these?
Old 12-23-2016, 08:52 AM   #411
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post
Exactly.

BUT if anyone wants to let there's go for cheap without electronics, Ill take it.
X2 for me to this thread is really funny and interesting...
rustneversleeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 09:05 AM   #412
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustneversleeps View Post
X2 for me to this thread is really funny and interesting...
Ya hold on, let me buy a few more of these to keep the electronics and sell the roller.
Old 12-23-2016, 09:12 AM   #413
I wanna be Dave

Honestly, I don't know who would sell theirs at a loss. It is still new enough to return to Axial if you are unhappy with it. No one wants the electronics from these, so it is in no one's interest to buy one to sell cheaper.
Old 12-23-2016, 09:16 AM   #414
Quarry Creeper

For kicks I hooked up the stock servo to my new esc fed power from the Mamba micro x and low and behold it no longer has centering problems. Now, I didn't go as far as to put it back in and take it for a drive but literally before it wouldn't even center not hooked up to the bell crank.
Old 12-23-2016, 09:32 AM   #415
I wanna be Dave

It's too bad the electronics are what you guys are encountering. This vehicle has 427 replies and 26,500 views in just a few short weeks. That to me says it was sorely wanted and just wish the electronics were at least worthy of a few battery packs cause that is usually when we upgrade anyhow. If they make a Bomber Kit I will definitely get one but not a RTR in either flavor.
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 09:43 AM   #416
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracer View Post
Honestly, I don't know who would sell theirs at a loss. It is still new enough to return to Axial if you are unhappy with it. No one wants the electronics from these, so it is in no one's interest to buy one to sell cheaper.

I stated that Axial should pull the electronics and keep them to hash out as replacements for all the previously sold RTR unit's warranty claims. Then sell the rollers to those of us that only want/need a roller. Granted they'd take a loss but which is less loss: taking returns/warranty claims for entire units or replacing the electronics. Maybe they need to start a 'Scratch and Dent' sale section to recoup some losses.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 10:55 AM   #417
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
I stated that Axial should pull the electronics and keep them to hash out as replacements for all the previously sold RTR unit's warranty claims. Then sell the rollers to those of us that only want/need a roller. Granted they'd take a loss but which is less loss: taking returns/warranty claims for entire units or replacing the electronics. Maybe they need to start a 'Scratch and Dent' sale section to recoup some losses.
I know that is what you were talking about, but there have been a few people on here offering to buy these from other forum members without electronics at a discounted price.

I doubt Axial will do what you were talking about though, because at that point, they could just re-package it as an ARTR, rather than selling it as an Open Box unit missing parts.
Old 12-23-2016, 11:18 AM   #418
I wanna be Dave

Default Axial 1/18 Yeti (and Yeti Score)

Quote:
I know that is what you were talking about, but there have been a few people on here offering to buy these from other forum members without electronics at a discounted price.

I doubt Axial will do what you were talking about though, because at that point, they could just re-package it as an ARTR, rather than selling it as an Open Box unit missing parts.

Others may not want to sell them off at a loss. But Christmas is near, money may be tight, and kids want toys that work. PMs have been sent by multiple members. Not everyone is a fanboy and will make it work. Several bought the gimmick and realized it's a RTR POS.

True, I doubt Axial would ever do anything like that. That's what one would do at a grass roots level, not corporate. They'd need new packaging to put them in and that takes time. We want them now. They can't really use the RTR box for it.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 11:46 AM   #419
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
The problem, MonkeyRacer, is that most of our electronics couldn't survive the 10 minute out of the box session messing around in the kitchen/living room/garage. My stock Wraith electronics were fine for at least a month of outside crawling and playing. My Bomber RTR electronics didn't give me any problems. I replaced them because I was ready to upgrade. Look at the failure rate that's being displayed here and the timeline in which these parts are failing. Even if they are surviving for one or two people, the performance is so bad because the components won't even let you control the truck. This is not one of those cases where we all know we will want to upgrade eventually. This is a case where Axial cut too many corners and we had to pay good money for trash parts.
X2, an RTR should run well right out of the box and not require any upgrades. The electronics will probably not be awesome, but they should fully operate as intended for a year or more. I prefer kits, but have bought several RTRs due to lack of time and that is how they were only available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
That's a 280 size can. The specs on Axial's website say it's a 380. IIRC, a 40t brushed is mid 2000kV and that Losi combo is sub 20t. I would imagine it would cog and overheat due to its size. I wouldn't think a sensored would be needed for bashing about unless high kV for high speeds are wanted.

28mm OD brushless motor is a 380-390 equivalent size. The length will be the deciding factor in making it fit.

Previously posted pic. Note the clearance at the end of the can.
Great advice, thanks for the pics to check motor fitment! Brushless non-sensored will be fine for bashing and racing around. I would keep the kv around 4000, as somebody said 380BL is good motor so that it doesn't overheat and die. Yes, gotta watch motor can length, that Traxxas mini brushless is almost too long.

Quote:
Mamba Micro Yeti X

Also put the hitec hs-85 mg. Beastly steering with beastly power. It has the 4100 kv motor and I kid you not there is a bit of torque twist on acceleration.

I dropped a spare vxl 380 in the slot cause somebody wanted to know if it fits... well it does.
Mamba Micro X esc/motor combo with 0808-4100KV MOTOR would prolly be good in these. Run the HK 380 BL motor or Traxxas Mini BL if you want a little more.

Mamba Micro X Extreme 1:18 Scale Combo with 0808-4100Kv Motor

Quote:
Got the 1711mg installed:
Fits REALLY well in there.
Good strong servo that doesn't cost alot:

Pololu - $12
Aloft Hobbies - $7.30

Double the torque of the stock servo (49oz-in @ 6v). Also the 23 spline servo saver that comes in the kit works, but I didn't want a servo saver for my build.

You don't have to spend a lot to get better stuff installed...
By the way, I tried this on the stock RX/ESC and it didn't like it. I have a feeling there is something weird about using other servos on the 2-in-1 unit that comes with these.
Good recomendation on replacement electronics for good price...I'd run those!

Quote:
I was looking at some inexpensive electronics upgrades for this:

Servo - Power HD 1711mg - $12
ESC - Hobbywing Quicrun 1625 (Waterproof) - $20
Radio - FlySky FS-GT2E (with receiver) - $25
Deans Connector pair - $3 (to upgrade stock battery and HW ESC Connectors, allows easy upgrade in the future to LiPo.)

So, $60 to swap to better electronics (less if you already have a radio. Also, you might be able to find a set of used electronics for cheap as well.)

If you want a little more power, there are other 380 brushed motors out there, like the Traxxas Titan 380, Xtreme 380X heli motor, etc. Most of the 380 Brushed motors are fairly inexpensive as well.

You could also swap the motor for a brushless system:

ESC - Hobbywing Quicrun 16BL30 with 2435 motor - $55

This would be $95 total including the radio and servo above.

Of course there are other options, but I think that this would be a decent, inexpensive step up from the stock electronics.

Yes, it sucks that you would have to immediately pay for electronics, but it doesn't have to be expensive. If my son was old enough to play with RC cars, this brushed set up above would be what I would get for him.

It would just be nice to have the option to not pay for the stock electronics and just get the above stuff.

As far as the vehicle is concerned, it is pretty awesome. It traction rolls really easy, but the heaviest part of it (the battery) sits almost completely above the height of the tires. If we could mount that closer to center and lower down, that would help a lot with that. (JC Auto Design might look into an alternative battery mount)

... When do we get a sub-forum for these?
Good recomendation on replacement electronics for good price...I'd run those!

Yes, hop-ups should not be required right away, where's the kit or ARTR? Love these little 1/18th, Axial just needs to perfect the electronics and/or sell ARTR or kit!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 12:40 PM   #420

FWIW I just put the HS-65MG in and ran a pack through it with no issues. Steering is pretty good now. They're still big, soft tires for a tiny servo but it's controllable and a lot of fun now. I beat it pretty hard and couldn't break anything so there's a positive lol.
JDurgin is offline   Reply With Quote

Axial 1/18 Yeti (and Yeti Score) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial yeti turned into a score? 1964yeti Newbie General 6 08-18-2016 12:47 AM
Upgrading Axial yeti score Naosis Newbie General 3 08-11-2016 05:49 AM