Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Axial 1/18 Yeti (and Yeti Score)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2016, 03:24 PM   #461
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Axial 1/18 Yeti (and Yeti Score)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrible1 View Post
I am having the same exact issue. My son is super disappointed and I'm obviously irritated. I held off the temptation of opening this gift (that I've been holding onto now since the 13th) and figured I'd let it all be a surprise for him. This was not the surprise I was hoping for. I knew I should've opened it and checked everything before giving it to him. Yes, the battery is charged. Yes I've tried a couple sets of fresh new AA transmitter batteries. There is no "binding procedure" that I can find and the transmitter red led has been flashing since the initial power up. Already sent a message to Axial but it's Christmas, I'm not expecting a response any time soon but...I'm curious to see how their customer support is.

There has to be a way to bind.
Lavaheadache is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-2016, 07:33 PM   #462
Quarry Creeper

There is no binding procedure. It's an auto-bind transmitter.
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 07:46 PM   #463
Quarry Creeper

Yeah, I looked. Manual says it binds automatically. I ended up tearing it down and removing the stock esc/receiver. I installed a used esc I had laying around and using an older Axial TX/RX. And wouldn't you know it, the S.O.B. worked as soon as I powered up! I had to do a bit of modifying but I squeezed a Dynamite ESC (can't remember where it came from) with the Axial RX under the hood. I even swapped out the stock connector on the NiMH battery for a deans. Stock TX and ESC/RX are lost to the junk pile now. Most importantly, my little one got to play with his first RC!
Terrible1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 07:49 PM   #464
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavaheadache View Post
I'd offer to send either of you my stock transmitter and the new esc axial sent me to replace the one that blew immediately on me. Both are unused.
I appreciate the offer! Had I not had plenty of spares, I would've definitely taken you up on it.
Terrible1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 10:46 PM   #465
I wanna be Dave

I attempted to install a Redcat motor from the MOA they have. I bought a pair of motors to use on another RC I've got and only needed the one.

The can is longer but the shaft is the same size. The problem with this one was to rotate the motor away from the mount to the back I ended up with a 24 tooth pinion. Then it would contact the bottom of the chassis but clear the mount. So I got pissed and put the short can back in. I did notice the shaft on the Axial motor was only a half shaft whereas every other motor I've got was maybe a 5/8 cut.

On 2s brushed it's still fun. The speeds are manageable and the rollovers are a lot less frequent.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 12:17 AM   #466
I wanna be Dave

I've got a pack of Losi Mini pinions buried somewhere and IIRC they are 48p. I'll find them and measure them at their widest to see if they'll fit into the motor plate. Most hobby shops should carry these.
Old 12-26-2016, 08:21 AM   #467
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
I wouldn't think they'd get much smaller. Maybe some of the Dromida guys can pitch in.
Dromidas run 0.6Mod pinions (2.00mm shaft for stock motor and most 2040 brushless motors), I have never seen anything smaller than a 10t in that size/pitch.
StatGSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 08:34 AM   #468
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatGSR View Post
Dromidas run 0.6Mod pinions (2.00mm shaft for stock motor and most 2040 brushless motors), I have never seen anything smaller than a 10t in that size/pitch.

Gotcha. Is it the 0.5Mod that is nearly equivalent to the 48p?
Old 12-26-2016, 10:37 AM   #469
I wanna be Dave

I think 0.6 is close to 48p but won't work. Bergs run 0.6 pinions.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 02:38 PM   #470
Quarry Creeper

This was on post #230, looks like Castle used a losi mini pinion. .5m

"Note that use of a specific pinion, for example the LOSB1261, is required for a proper installation"

Some general bashing in the woods:

And some slow motion, left all that crap in a separate one

Last edited by TownsendTdi; 12-26-2016 at 05:29 PM.
TownsendTdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 03:57 PM   #471
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for sharing another great video, Townsend.

I trimmed my battery and motor leads down on the new ESC and got rid of the installed XT60 connector in favor of a deans plug. Also installed bullets on the motor leads. I figured I'd throw the ESC on the new fancy scale Santa brought me to see the "RTR" weight after the mods. My monster ESC weighs in at an even 39 grams now so it shouldn't be too much of an anchor on performance Also picked up a servo horn from the LHS so I'm hoping to have her running soon. More to come.
Attached Images

SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 04:22 PM   #472
I wanna be Dave

I also wanted to show a quick comparison of the stock brick of a battery to a couple lipos. This is a great way to increase performance, increase runtime (on the 1800 pack), reduce weight, and significantly enhance the handling characteristics of the truck for less than $30. Nothing wrong with the stock pack if you're limited on funds and need to focus on electronics replacement but if/when you do go to replace the stock battery do yourself a favor and go lipo, only positives to be had from the swap. Here's the stocker on top with an 1800mah below it and an 1100mah below that. The weight difference surprised me especially with the 1800mah lipo where you lose 39g of weight up high but gain more than 30% runtime and obviously better performance over NiMH.
Attached Images

Old 12-26-2016, 04:43 PM   #473
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownsendTdi View Post

"Note that use of a specific pinion, for example the LOSB1261, is required for a proper installation"
if you go with a 2mm shaft motor, you can also get a 2mm to 1/8 adapter sleeve and use any 1/8" pinion out there, robinson has several for 48p
StatGSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 05:32 PM   #474
I wanna be Dave

Ok, steering is finished. I used a Losi servo arm with my HS-85 servo and was able to reuse the stock ball end on the horn and the stock drag link. There was more than enough steering throw so I had to dial back about 40% on the steering rate. Everything swings lock to lock with no contact or interference anywhere and the servo has enough torque to push steer the front of the truck so I'm really happy with the results. After dinner, I'll try and get the ESC and RX mounted and run this thing.
Attached Images

Old 12-26-2016, 05:38 PM   #475
Quarry Creeper

Dang that stock battery is a pig. I like that ESC, especially the higher voltage BEC, mine doesn't give a lot of love to the servo.
Might try swapping the electronics and battery, could help the handling (flips). I think I've got a flat 1000mah that's just the right width.
It would be nice to have a section for the axial 1/18. This thread is getting cluttered and hard to find stuff I'd previously seen.
TownsendTdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 05:47 PM   #476
I wanna be Dave

I took a long time for the Bomber to get its own sub forum. I wouldn't hold my breath on a Yeti Jr. sub forum.
Old 12-26-2016, 08:24 PM   #477
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatGSR View Post
if you go with a 2mm shaft motor, you can also get a 2mm to 1/8 adapter sleeve and use any 1/8" pinion out there, robinson has several for 48p

The problem I ran into using a 1/8 shafted motor was the set screw would contact the motor plate. The set screw would need to be shortened for anything besides the stock motor. The stock motor also has a shaft that is cut in half. Not the regular 5/8 or so.
Old 12-26-2016, 09:38 PM   #478
Rock Crawler

I got the HS-85MG installed tonight with a Dynamite servo arm. Also has the larger holes so the ball joint dropped right in. Wow, the truck turns great now. I decided to cut off the motor plugs and soldered them direct to the motor. I'm not sure if I missed it in the thread, but to get the HS-85mg installed with the stock ESC case, I had to use a cut off wheel/Dremel off the servo ear from the ESC case to get it to fit as the servo is wider. No problem. The ear I cut off I still used to mount the servo.

MaxxPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 11:11 PM   #479
I wanna be Dave

I was able to get everything installed and connected, ESC options set, radio calibrated, and a quick 20 minute test run in. First off, the ESC was a breeze to get setup and calibrated. The included program card is easy to use and even has all the options and values printed right on the case, no instructions needed. I made 2-3 changes as needed and calibrated it with my radio in less than 5 minutes. After 20 minutes of full throttle bashing, it wasn't even the slightest bit warm. Not a huge surprise given the fact that this is a 1/10 scale, 80amp ESC but very satisfying none the less.

The servo performed flawlessly as well. Plenty of torque whether crawling or going fast, centered itself without issue, and really just had a good overall feel. Plenty of tumbles and rough driving, so far so good.

As far as the total package goes, now that I have some quality electronics in the Jr., it's an absolute delight to drive. I'm actually really happy with the stock motor. Coupled with the Hobbywing ESC, it's very smooth at low speed, has plenty of wheelspeed for me and has enough torque to kick plenty of rocks and roost up behind itself as you lay into it. The truck handles very well and only traction rolls if you push it hard at full tilt. It's not difficult at all to drive the little Yeti at its limit but still keep things under control and the rubber side down on high traction concrete or asphalt. In the rocks and dirt it slides and drifts very satisfyingly. There's very little if any torque twist and the Jr. turns a very tight circle and is incredibly maneuverable at any speed. Like I said, I've only had around 20 quality minutes driving this truck but so far I'm very happy with my electronics choices and I'm definitely impressed with the chassis and suspension. I'm excited to get more time behind the wheel but things are looking good for my latest addition to the fleet.

Here's a pic of the receiver mounted on top of the servo and the ESC mounted on top of that. Everything nestled in there nicely and let me maintain a nice low CG. I'm very happy with the way everything came out and I can't wait to drive it more.
Attached Images

Old 12-26-2016, 11:25 PM   #480
I wanna be Dave

Anyone going to try 3s?

Is it possible to fit a smaller 1100-1300 or maybe a 1800mah battery right in front of the spur cover area?
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote

Axial 1/18 Yeti (and Yeti Score) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial yeti turned into a score? 1964yeti Newbie General 6 08-18-2016 12:47 AM
Upgrading Axial yeti score Naosis Newbie General 3 08-11-2016 05:49 AM