Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Axial 1/18 Yeti (and Yeti Score)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2017, 07:03 PM   #641
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Axial 1/18 Yeti (and Yeti Score)

Just FYI for anyone wanting to run smaller losi micro pinions (mmx combo), LOSB1260 is 9T-12T pinions.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2017, 07:09 PM   #642
I wanna be Dave

In case anyone was wondering, the Tactic TX300 radio (from any other Axial RTR) will bind straight to the stock electronics. It feels like a high end radio after using the awful stock one for about 5 minutes.

Of course, most people will be tossing more of the stock electronics than just the radio.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 08:08 PM   #643
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
In case anyone was wondering, the Tactic TX300 radio (from any other Axial RTR) will bind straight to the stock electronics. It feels like a high end radio after using the awful stock one for about 5 minutes.
That's really good to know. The battery for my Score Jr. is sitting underneath my desk, charging right now. When it's done, I'll pop the AA batteries into the stock transmitter and take it for its first run. I have a stock RTR radio left over from my Bomber that'll be a good match for my subsequent runs. Thanks for giving this tip.
colbynobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 08:57 PM   #644
Rock Stacker

Everyone! Stop what your doing and immediately slap a new esc that is 3s capable in it and go bash. Holy crap this was a brilliant idea! So freaking fun on 3s
racinfast002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 06:57 AM   #645
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by racinfast002 View Post
Everyone! Stop what your doing and immediately slap a new esc that is 3s capable in it and go bash. Holy crap this was a brilliant idea! So freaking fun on 3s
We already did, what took you so long?
Lavaheadache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 08:41 AM   #646
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavaheadache View Post
We already did, what took you so long?
Just got it 2 days ago hahaha. It's a blast on 3s. Worried about burning that little motor up, but will see how long it last.
racinfast002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 03:23 PM   #647
Quarry Creeper

Just broke a rear axle shaft and there seems to be nowhere to get one. I'm not pissed it broke just bummed I can't use the truck till I find a replacement. Watch out for high grip surfaces and extreme brushless power =)
Old 01-07-2017, 06:37 PM   #648
RCC Addict

so whats the best servo for this yeti jr something that'll drop right in?thanks
chicostaxxs007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 08:03 PM   #649
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicostaxxs007 View Post
Apparently the answer is something with the dimensions of 22.8X12.0X25.4, but with more than Torque(@6.0V oz-in): 30.6. When I purchased a Yeti Jr. Trophy last night at my local hobby shop, these are the specifications of the best micro server they had available - a Savox 253. It does a marginally better job than the stock servo at centering the wheels. I'm going to need something more powerful.

I learned today that both the stock servo and the Savox 253 do not like the cold. When I ran the Yeti Jr. last night when it was -4 with the stock servo it stopped moving the wheels. I assumed it was bad, installed the Savox and had the same result. Today, I removed the stock receiver/ESC, installed a different receiver and a Dynamite WP 60A and experienced the same thing when it was 22 degrees. Both servos acted fine (except for not centering) when I ran the truck inside my office building. I have not encountered this with any of my vehicles with full-sized servos. I guess the Yeti Jr. questions my sanity.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:35 PM   #650
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbynobo View Post
I learned today that both the stock servo and the Savox 253 do not like the cold. When I ran the Yeti Jr. last night when it was -4 with the stock servo it stopped moving the wheels. I assumed it was bad, installed the Savox and had the same result. Today, I removed the stock receiver/ESC, installed a different receiver and a Dynamite WP 60A and experienced the same thing when it was 22 degrees. Both servos acted fine (except for not centering) when I ran the truck inside my office building. I have not encountered this with any of my vehicles with full-sized servos. I guess the Yeti Jr. questions my sanity.
Did you reuse the stock servo saver?

The spring in the servo saver is incredibly weak and is as much to blame for the mushy steering as the weak servo. Any extra steering torque would just be wasted by the servo saver.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:16 PM   #651
I wanna be Dave

Picked up a hitec 225mg (67oz at 6v). Standard 24t spline and 2.6mm servo screw. Also picked up losi mrc servo posts.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:58 PM   #652
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicostaxxs007 View Post
Not a drop in but I'm running a full size servo .

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 12:48 AM   #653
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
Did you reuse the stock servo saver?

The spring in the servo saver is incredibly weak and is as much to blame for the mushy steering as the weak servo. Any extra steering torque would just be wasted by the servo saver.
Does this mean that I should remove the servo saver and in the interest of gaining better/more consistent steering just accept the risk of destroying more servos?

Is it possible that the cold air is causing something else in the steering to contract or bind and overwhelming the small amount of torque generating by the servo?
Old 01-08-2017, 11:27 AM   #654
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Does this mean that I should remove the servo saver and in the interest of gaining better/more consistent steering just accept the risk of destroying more servos?
Yes, absolutely.

Between the plastic tierods, steering rack, and steering link, there is more than enough flex in the steering system to absorb crashes. The ball cups will also pop off in a big enough crash to prevent too much strain on the servo. I have no worries of ruining a quality metal gear servo in this truck (or any of my trucks for that matter) by not running a servo saver.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:45 AM   #655

I was thinking of using a standard servo horn on Hitec 5085. Is it possible?
redeyechris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 12:03 PM   #656
Quarry Creeper

anyone have rear axles they can help a brother out with?
Old 01-08-2017, 05:05 PM   #657
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxxPain View Post
I got the HS-85MG installed tonight with a Dynamite servo arm. Also has the larger holes so the ball joint dropped right in. Wow, the truck turns great now. I decided to cut off the motor plugs and soldered them direct to the motor. I'm not sure if I missed it in the thread, but to get the HS-85mg installed with the stock ESC case, I had to use a cut off wheel/Dremel off the servo ear from the ESC case to get it to fit as the servo is wider. No problem. The ear I cut off I still used to mount the servo.

MaxxPain is the HS-85MG 24 t or 25? thanks
Old 01-08-2017, 06:59 PM   #658
I wanna be Dave

Hitec is 24T.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:17 PM   #659
RCC Addict

just ordered quickrun 1625 brushed esc $23,flysky transmitter, reciever n power HD 1711 servo. if it works out i'll have to order 2 more of everything. i should've stayed in the 1/10 scale
Old 01-08-2017, 07:26 PM   #660

Quote:
Apparently the answer is something with the dimensions of 22.8X12.0X25.4, but with more than Torque(@6.0V oz-in): 30.6. When I purchased a Yeti Jr. Trophy last night at my local hobby shop, these are the specifications of the best micro server they had available - a Savox 253. It does a marginally better job than the stock servo at centering the wheels. I'm going to need something more powerful.

Ive found that the steering linkages are tight and add to the drag. Next time you remove the servo linkage swing your steering and note how tight it is. Add subzero temps and that plastic would be even tighter. I've spun the ball ends with a ball and some graphite to try to loosen the steering. Helped a bit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Jrardon is offline   Reply With Quote

Axial 1/18 Yeti (and Yeti Score) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial yeti turned into a score? 1964yeti Newbie General 6 08-18-2016 12:47 AM
Upgrading Axial yeti score Naosis Newbie General 3 08-11-2016 05:49 AM