Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Axial 1/18 Yeti (and Yeti Score)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2017, 07:03 PM   #701
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Axial 1/18 Yeti (and Yeti Score)

The Mini LST was nothing compared to these. The diff gears would disintegrate if you looked at them wrong. The yeti jr gears seem to have been holding up to some massive abuse. The typical breakage is somewhere else when it breaks.

Even with an extended chassis and full size servo:

The diffs were super weak. I ended up locking them, but then it loses the function of being a go-fast mini. (And other things started breaking, even on stock power.) (Post for those interested in it)

Compared to the Mini LST, the Yeti is awesome.
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2017, 07:47 PM   #702
I wanna be Dave

Monkey - how's the locker and shafts coming along?
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 08:17 PM   #703
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post
Monkey - how's the locker and shafts coming along?
Still waiting on the metal prototypes to come in.
Old 01-15-2017, 11:29 PM   #704
Quarry Creeper

I should have tried to address my tight steering before installing a second, upgraded servo. The Hitec 5085 lasted 7 minutes of doing donuts on my flat, slick basement floor. I've never burned through a $40 part so fast in my RC history. I took apart the front end and noticed there's a lot of drag in the steering rack - specifically where the steering posts (AX31512) rotate on the 2x20mm pins (AX31497). I tried to free it up with a few handtools, but it didn't make much of a difference. The next step might be to try use a drill to open up the steering posts a bit. Unless someone else has a better recommendation on how to free up the steering?

This is the last straw. If there's no easy solution for the steering issue I'm either going to sell this thing or attach one end to my Axial Bomber and the other end to my SCX10 ii and let them tear it in two.
colbynobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 12:59 AM   #705
I wanna be Dave

I had my servo off a couple times when swapping the stock for the 65 and then the 65 for the 85. I would play with the steering just to get an idea for geometry and just to mess around and I never noticed it being tight at all. In fact it was very smooth and free turning. I would fully compress one side and steer lock to lock then compress the other side then both. You know, just fooling with it. I think there may be something catching on yours. Mine was drag free from day one. I know because day one, I toasted the stock servo and yanked it immediately.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 06:30 AM   #706
I wanna be Dave

Same here. Mine was/is drag free. My guess is something is either tightened too tight, or something is not made correctly. I would recommend contacting Axial's customer service line to see if they can pinpoint the issue. The chances are they will help send the replacement parts. Also, the servo you toasted should be under warranty if it is brand new, so you should be able to get it replaced.
Old 01-16-2017, 02:06 PM   #707

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Wrangler View Post
My son received one from his grandparents today. Steering will not work. It makes a buzzing/crackling sound bit will not move.
Ours sounds like it is connecting but when you turn on the controller the light just blinks. We have out new batteries in the controller but still does the same thing.
RCCountryGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 01:07 AM   #708
Quarry Creeper

Got back from holiday with the Jr. on its last legs. Pleased with how well it's lasted tho, especially considering everyone else's issues. The servo was cutting out when it got too cold and the motor got full of gravel and rubbish. Washed the motor out (stripping 3 1.5mm hex head doing so cause of the stupid ball end hex keys - only ones I could find for sale in a small town on New Years Day!!!). Great way to introduce my mate to RCs. Couldn't believe the punishment it handles! However on like the 10th battery pack or so I managed to ram it real hard into a rabbit hole, shattering both front diff bearings! Kept driving tho until the servo completely stripped on the last day! Now completely torn down awaiting better bearings, new servo, Tx and Rx, ESC and battery. Also looking forward to a new locked 1 piece diff (hint hint). Tires also come unglued so with upgrade to metal beadlocks to add unsprung weight. Looking at the new RC4WD TRO wheels in1.7 for a bit of tire stretch. Currently rebuilding the shocks with Axial Supersoft springs and currently 20w oil (will move to 10w once I get a bottle).

But all in all.... VERY PLEASED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TrilloThrillo110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 09:22 AM   #709
Pebble Pounder

Exclamation Re: Axial 1/18 Yeti (and Yeti Score)

I have the TT version,I had a 2430 7200kv with an 11t pinion,the temps were perfect, but it cogged like crazy.I was forced to order a 2435 4800kv,atleast I'll be able to go up and down on the pinion now! I also use a set of rc4wd 12mm wideners,and I have some LaTrax wheels coming,I also have some mini rival tires brand new collecting dust, to give some more width to the truck, it flips too easy stock,and I also have a new body, Im keeping a secret until,Im ready to post pics! One more thing,I believe the Traxxas Latrax differentials look identical,and the LaTrax steering assembly has my attention,looks real close.This may turn out real good,also just to keep you guys busy,I'll give you something to keep you occupied until parts,and aftermarket support catches.,there actually are cvd's that fit the truck,which allows the use of a hex pin (I'll reveal that at some point) Hope everyone is enjoying their rigs,I am,and I haven even began to do what I call upgrading
im2tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 10:19 AM   #710
I wanna be Dave

Thank for that info? ^^^
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 10:47 AM   #711
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by im2tall View Post
I have the TT version,I had a 2430 7200kv with an 11t pinion,the temps were perfect, but it cogged like crazy.I was forced to order a 2435 4800kv,atleast I'll be able to go up and down on the pinion now! I also use a set of rc4wd 12mm wideners,and I have some LaTrax wheels coming,I also have some mini rival tires brand new collecting dust, to give some more width to the truck, it flips too easy stock,and I also have a new body, Im keeping a secret until,Im ready to post pics! One more thing,I believe the Traxxas Latrax differentials look identical,and the LaTrax steering assembly has my attention,looks real close.This may turn out real good,also just to keep you guys busy,I'll give you something to keep you occupied until parts,and aftermarket support catches.,there actually are cvd's that fit the truck,which allows the use of a hex pin (I'll reveal that at some point) Hope everyone is enjoying their rigs,I am,and I haven even began to do what I call upgrading
I hope your suspicions about the Latrax differentials and steering might be true. I'll have to put my Rally next to my TT and make the comparison. After upgrading to ball bearings, I love my Rally. After killing the 3rd steering servo in my TT, I hate it. I'm going to try one more thing with the steering. If that doesn't work then I'll have to move on. It's encouraging to see that others are having positive experiences. I haven't even been able to put more than 8 battery packs through it - even after all of the electronics have been updated.
colbynobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 02:13 PM   #712

For anyone looking to squeeze the biggest 3S in the battery tray... This just barely fits (you have to move the battery door to the top notch). 2200mAh!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Running the stock motor/gears (SCORE) on 3S - it has way more go than reasonable. Have a heatsink on the way to hopefully keep the motor temps down, otherwise seems to handle it fine!

It might be just my imagination, but it actually feels less prone to traction roll - might be riding lower on account of the weight.
Cometcyclonemk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 02:28 PM   #713

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cometcyclonemk View Post
For anyone looking to squeeze the biggest 3S in the battery tray... This just barely fits (you have to move the battery door to the top notch). 2200mAh!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Running the stock motor/gears (SCORE) on 3S - it has way more go than reasonable. Have a heatsink on the way to hopefully keep the motor temps down, otherwise seems to handle it fine!

It might be just my imagination, but it actually feels less prone to traction roll - might be riding lower on account of the weight.

Have you had to replace your servo after switches to lips and 3s?
iholmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 06:05 PM   #714

Quote:
Originally Posted by iholmes View Post
Have you had to replace your servo after switches to lips and 3s?
Yes, all electronics were replaced (spektrum servo, hobbywing esc, radiolink rx).
Cometcyclonemk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 09:49 PM   #715
Quarry Creeper

Axial Yeti jr basically a roller but will include stock radio and ESC original servo broke also extra hole drilled out to run full size servo but any micro will fit ...Also stock battery and box .

Great condition with extra front suspension arms and one CVD ,just replaced right one .
Awesome little truck and not easy to come by .

Looking for trades mainly electric crawler but open to other electronic cars or trucks .

Will also consider best reasonable offer.

Tamiya, axial , Traxxas , HPI , ofna, Redcat

Canada Collingwood Ontario area so if trades it would have to be local otherwise PayPal ... Shipping not included.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 08:46 AM   #716
RCC Addict

The CBERCFAB goods are almost ready! Got mine all painted up!

Tgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 12:46 PM   #717
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgreer View Post
The CBERCFAB goods are almost ready! Got mine all painted up!

I want this right meow!
abailey21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 01:24 PM   #718
Quarry Creeper

Is that notch in the sides of the battery plate so you can run a battery longways?
TrilloThrillo110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 01:46 PM   #719
I wanna be Dave

Yup.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 03:09 PM   #720
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrilloThrillo110 View Post
Is that notch in the sides of the battery plate so you can run a battery longways?
Absolutely, the plate is design to have as many options as possible. Weight is important on faster rigs. Depending on where it's located will play a large effect on how it handles corners, jumps, etc. The idea of the plate was for people to move the location of their battery to a sweet spot on their rig for the most optimal weight balance
Tgreer is offline   Reply With Quote

Axial 1/18 Yeti (and Yeti Score) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial yeti turned into a score? 1964yeti Newbie General 6 08-18-2016 12:47 AM
Upgrading Axial yeti score Naosis Newbie General 3 08-11-2016 05:49 AM