Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Axial 1/18 Yeti (and Yeti Score)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2016, 09:06 PM   #261
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Axial 1/18 Yeti (and Yeti Score)

So, just a few minutes ago, a neighbor from up the street knocks on the door holding a little box. It seems that the UPS driver delivered it to them. But here's the problem, they are about 1/2 mile up the road, and the address is not even close to mine.
I'm lucky they are honest neighbors, and didn't open it or try to keep it, etc. But I am not happy with UPS. The driver is supposed to contact me tomorrow to let me know where he left it, and I am interested to see what he says now that I know he left it at the neighbors' house.
But, now it is too late to tear into the thing tonight, so I will start messing with it tomorrow.

I'm relieved it is here though, and excited to start messing with it!
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2016, 09:14 PM   #262
I wanna be Dave

Really glad you got it MR. Thank God for good neighbors!
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 09:22 PM   #263
Quarry Creeper

Threw some other sized tires on

1.9 stock mrc

1.55 dirt grabbers

TownsendTdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 09:51 PM   #264
I wanna be Dave

Those 1.9s and a brushless setup would be perfect.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 10:33 PM   #265
I wanna be Dave

Well, finally got the battery charged, popped it in, quick check and everything looks good to go. Ran it for 10 minutes and the servo is toast. This was in the garage. You guys weren't kidding either. That 25oz/in servo is hilariously underpowered and would not self center, even holding the truck off the ground. I'll call Axial tomorrow just to let them know but I won't even ask for a replacement. That stock servo is bad. The search is on for at least twice the torque out of a better servo. I can't even really say anything about the truck's performance because my time was so short but the motor did feel like it had a good amount of speed and torque to it. Fully open diffs handle great but the tires spin freely over the slightest obstacle. I'm bummed I couldn't drive it more but excited to get it fixed and run her again.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:36 PM   #266

So what is a good servo that will drop in with little to no modification?
axialshipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 10:44 PM   #267
I wanna be Dave

Captain mentioned the Hitec HS-65mg being a drop in but that servos torque rating is the same as stock. The Hitec HS5070MH was also mentioned by blackbart and is a bit bigger but doubles the torque so I'm hoping I can get that one to fit. My LHS has a million servos to choose from in this size category so I'll have a solution this weekend. Thank goodness these smaller servos are so cheap compared to what I'm used to paying for my crawlers.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:58 PM   #268
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracer View Post
So, just a few minutes ago, a neighbor from up the street knocks on the door holding a little box. It seems that the UPS driver delivered it to them. But here's the problem, they are about 1/2 mile up the road, and the address is not even close to mine.

I'm lucky they are honest neighbors, and didn't open it or try to keep it, etc. But I am not happy with UPS. The driver is supposed to contact me tomorrow to let me know where he left it, and I am interested to see what he says now that I know he left it at the neighbors' house.

But, now it is too late to tear into the thing tonight, so I will start messing with it tomorrow.

I'm relieved it is here though, and excited to start messing with it!

I had the SAME issue with UPS last week.. eve. Had the driver come her and scream at my girlfriend saying the GPS shows he left it in my garage. Turns out it spent the week in the neighbors garage. Now I have to sign for anything UPS cause he messed up..
XSRCdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 10:58 PM   #269
I wanna be Dave

Check out hitec 225mg, 54oz at 4.8v or 66oz at 6v.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 12:05 AM   #270
I wanna be Dave

The dimensions on that one say it's way too big to fit. If nothing good is available in the stock size catagory we may have to mod anyway.
Old 12-16-2016, 12:45 AM   #271

HS5070MH should work fine. It is an HV servo though so it's torque ratings are at 6 and 7.4V. Looks like it's a little deeper than the HS65MG. There's room back there, plus with no 22T spline adapter for the stock servo saver, there's plenty of room in front of it too.
Captain_Torquepants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 12:50 AM   #272
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post
Check out hitec 225mg, 54oz at 4.8v or 66oz at 6v.
Working on installing one at the moment. It's tight, but I think it'll work. The slot on the bottom of the chassis will need to be extended about 2mm longer to mount it. It's neat they include a 24t servo saver piece but I don't have a long enough screw and it's an odd size, like m2.8 or something, plus there's not room in the chassis, so I hope its strong enough.

Last edited by TownsendTdi; 12-16-2016 at 01:26 AM.
TownsendTdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 06:46 AM   #273
I wanna be Dave

I'm tempted to try out a Goteck servo from Hobbyking. 80oz of torque at 6V and only a few MMs taller than the stock servo. At a whopping $18, its no big loss if its terrible.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/goteck-d...g-0-12sec.html
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 07:41 AM   #274

Well, mine's dead. Got to work a few minutes ago. Plugged 'er up. Drove it around the side of the building and back, on pavement, and it suddenly came to a stop. No response at all. Unplugged, plugged, nothing. Started smelling hot electronics. Popped the top and the front half of the ESC/RX combo was getting really warm so I unplugged it. Nothing is pinched anywhere that I can see. It just up and died.

I would unplug the servo and test it again but the brick must be removed to do so and I'm at work for the next 6.5 hours or so. No big deal. I had already planned on converting it to Spektrum tonight anyway but I did want to run it at the LHS's today. That's not gonna happen now.

So a lame servo out of the box and a dead RX/ESC within the first 3 days. This ready to run stuff is for the birds.

Last edited by Captain_Torquepants; 12-16-2016 at 09:26 AM.
Captain_Torquepants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 10:05 AM   #275
Quarry Creeper

There are right angle pieces included in the spare parts to use different size servos without use of the re20 mount

Last edited by Lavaheadache; 12-17-2016 at 07:39 AM.
Lavaheadache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 10:09 AM   #276
I wanna be Dave

Called Axial this morning and they're doing what they can to take care of me. He said parts availability is so scarce right now because the truck is so new but he's getting parts on order for me. I feel bad for any kids getting one of these for Christmas having the same issue. I hope none do. That would put a bad taste in people's mouths if this was their first Axial purchase.
Old 12-16-2016, 10:16 AM   #277
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Torquepants View Post
HS5070MH should work fine. It is an HV servo though so it's torque ratings are at 6 and 7.4V. Looks like it's a little deeper than the HS65MG. There's room back there, plus with no 22T spline adapter for the stock servo saver, there's plenty of room in front of it too.
Sounds good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownsendTdi View Post
Working on installing one at the moment. It's neat they include a 24t servo saver piece but I don't have a long enough screw and it's an odd size, like m2.8 or something, plus there's not room in the chassis, so I hope its strong enough.
Screw is probably 2.6mm if it's same as other Hitec. The new Hitec supposed to all go to 3mm, much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
I'm tempted to try out a Goteck servo from Hobbyking. 80oz of torque at 6V and only a few MMs taller than the stock servo. At a whopping $18, its no big loss if its terrible.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/goteck-d...g-0-12sec.html
Do it!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 11:16 AM   #278
I wanna be Dave

I don't know if it has been posted or not, but max battery dimensions are:

38mm wide, 107mm long, 22mm (or so) thick.

For servos, I was planning on trying out the Power HD 1711MG:

48.61 oz-in (6V)

It's a little wider than the stock servo, but with the servo mounts that Lavaheadache mentioned, it should fit fine. I'll probably just use one of the horn that it comes with, at least to start. I have a couple left over from a robotics project from school that I wasn't using otherwise.

I'll try to get a pic later when I install it.

Last edited by monkeyracer; 12-16-2016 at 12:49 PM.
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 11:38 AM   #279

*Edit* Not sure if it's disappointing or comforting that my rx/esc isn't the only one that died within minutes. Axial told me I have to ship them in before they'll send anything out - is that what everyone else has been told?

This is what I ended up ordering. Should show up Monday, and I hope to have it all in by Monday night.

Hobbywing QuicRun 1625 ESC

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hitec HS-65MG Servo

RadioLink RC4G Transmitter/Receiver with Gyro

I didn't notice until after ordering that the servo has roughly the same torque as stock... Hopefully it's still better. The RC4G seems to have good reviews, and I'm thinking the gyro will be fun to play with - all at much less money than the Spektrum.

Last edited by Cometcyclonemk; 12-16-2016 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Noted in text
Cometcyclonemk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 11:54 AM   #280

Ah man... this is just like watching people buy the 1st year of a new car. So many problems right out of the factory. I'm gonna wait a few months, probably jump on the 2nd shipment (if it happens) hoping that maybe this RX/ESC thing is fixed. (I'm no good with binding a TX/RX and such, so I'm most likely just going to keep that stock whenever I get one). I have a HiTec HS-65HB+ that wouldn't work in my Trail Trekker w/o dropping more money into it, hopefully that will work with the Yeti Jr.

Last edited by curvedwallride; 12-16-2016 at 12:01 PM.
curvedwallride is offline   Reply With Quote

Axial 1/18 Yeti (and Yeti Score) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial yeti turned into a score? 1964yeti Newbie General 6 08-18-2016 12:47 AM
Upgrading Axial yeti score Naosis Newbie General 3 08-11-2016 05:49 AM