Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Axial 1/18 Yeti (and Yeti Score)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2016, 12:15 PM   #321
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Axial 1/18 Yeti (and Yeti Score)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkbart00 View Post
The servo was terrible as I'd imagined but I ordered a Hitec HS-5070MG as a stocking stuffer to go with it.

My question is that it seems a few of you have had issues with the ESC quitting. Was not planning on upgrading that but if it doesn't work I've got no choice. I'm leaving on vacation for a week after Xmas and was planning on taking it with me. Do I get an ESC just to be safe? I really did not want to have to upgrade so quick. Buying the dam thing was a splurge. I'm crossing my fingers mine works. But I don't want to be staring at a broken truck for a week either.

I'd like to put in Mamba Micro X Extreme 1:18 Scale ESC eventually. Didn't think I'd have to do it right away.
Good idea on upgraded servo stocking stuffer, I'd buy ESC and be ready for all electronics to fail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Wrangler View Post
My son received one from his grandparents today. Steering will not work. It makes a buzzing/crackling sound bit will not move.
Sorry to hear that, please call Axial for warranty replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcplante View Post
Blkbart00 if you have a tx/rx you can put in it I would suggest getting a hobbywing 1060wp its cheap at under $20 and should work fine if the stocker craps out
Those are excellent and waterproof budget esc should be right at home in this truck. These are basically same as Ascender RTR esc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
Yeah my servo sounded like a Skrillex song right before it stopped doing anything at all. This is exactly what I was talking about. These are the kinds of things that kill a sport. New buyers having horrible first experiences with a company and turning to Walmart or Amazon for Chinese knockoffs that perform better or at least run for a month or so before breaking because they crashed hard into the garage door. Sure there are those of us that are the understanding faithful customer but we were all new buyers at one time and if I had had this experience with my first Axial truck out of the gate, I would've returned it and said never again. Some wonder why Traxxas has such a large market share. Their cars are truly reliable with stock everything. I have a friend who's been abusing a 1/16 slash for 6-7 months now with no issues. I got this Yeti Jr. So I could show him up.
X2. My 1/16 Slash has been run hard and so far only thing besides body and worn tires is VXL ESC died without letting smoke out, Traxxas warrantied that. Now I'm swapping it out for Sidewinder 3 and HK BL motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracer View Post
I hope the forum adds a section specific to the Yeti Jr's soon. This thread is starting to get cluttered with things that could be their own thread...

I somehow doubt that they will release a kit version, but I could see them release an ARTR version that is sans electronics. (Or release a "pro" version with some aluminum hop-ups and no electronics... I could see them do that too.)

I'm having some good fun with this thing though, and despite the crap electronics, I highly recommend getting one. You could swap to some inexpensive electronics and still have a ton of fun with these.
Yes, needs it's own section please. An ARTR or kit would be great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavaheadache View Post
I have a feeling Axial's phone is going to ring off the hook tomorrow. I can't get over how terrible the stock electronics are. For $180 I'm pretty pissed. My Latrax Teton was a far better value at $130.

Quote:
Teton is awesome. A few of us race them at our local indoor carpet track. We have all gone brushless and they rip. A quick upgrade to rc18 ball diffs along with the brushless setup and aluminum axles and you're off. Servo will inevitably strip out after a few crashes into walls but then you can step up to a metal gear servo and it'll be bullet proof.

Waiting on brushless system and servo. The Latrax brushed ESC is actually a great replacement system for the stock junk.
Thanks for the comparison pics, love your clan, minis and micros are tons of fun too! Great use for old LaTrax ESC.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2016, 12:54 PM   #322
Quarry Creeper

I called this morning and got the ball rolling, the rest of your guys need to call too so we can get some acceptable results. I was told that I was the first they have heard regarding faulty servos and esc's...
Lavaheadache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 01:04 PM   #323

I have been discussing it with 'Adam W." via email starting on December 13th. Only answer I was given was to send it in. I'll give them a call tonight before I send in the parts.
Cometcyclonemk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 01:45 PM   #324
Quarry Creeper

They wanted me to send in the whole thing... ya not gonna happen. I'm convinced anything I got back would be much of the same. Utter crap. Love the truck and want to work with what I have. A discount, partial credit, future upgraded part when they get it sorted is what I want. I don't want that particular servo or esc/rx combo. I was told I would get an email tomorrow. Not gonna hold my breath but will reach out to them after some time has passed to see what we can work out. I'm not an unreasonable person.
Old 12-19-2016, 01:49 PM   #325

I asked, and they agreed to let me send in the RX/TX. If they fix it and get it reliable - it'll be a nice upgrade to my little Gelande II 1:18 (which makes the Axial look like a 1:10).
Cometcyclonemk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 01:50 PM   #326
Pebble Pounder

too bad these are not on tower hobbies yet, seems like i may be able to raid the scratch and dent section in the future for a good deal on one with bad electronics.
StatGSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 02:34 PM   #327

I think that's the standard Hobbico phone support response. "First we've heard of it!" Seems like I hear those words every time I call them.

I sent an email to Axial support. Told em what was going on and that I was not concerned with replacements or trying to warranty this stuff. I honestly don't need any more RC junk to store and sift through.
Captain_Torquepants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 02:40 PM   #328
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Torquepants View Post
I think that's the standard Hobbico phone support response. "First we've heard of it!" Seems like I hear those words every time I call them.

Call and ask for Mike he is a supervisor and has helped me

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 02:46 PM   #329
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatGSR View Post
too bad these are not on tower hobbies yet, seems like i may be able to raid the scratch and dent section in the future for a good deal on one with bad electronics.
Considering that 9/10 of their scratch and dent rtr's are 1/18 cars with bad rx/esc combo's, I could see that happening with the Yeti Jr's... in which case I'm sure most of us here will be buying several!
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 04:07 PM   #330

Thanks, Lavaheadache, for the picture comparison back at post #328. Yeti, Jr. is either a big 1/18 or my MRC and Temper are small 1/18. Turns out it is too big for my rock table anyway. That and reading the electronics issues here, shying away from it for now.
arnieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 05:07 PM   #331
Pebble Pounder

^ yeti is actually shorter than both of those based on published information, probably wider than either though.
StatGSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 05:24 PM   #332
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I called this morning and got the ball rolling, the rest of your guys need to call too so we can get some acceptable results. I was told that I was the first they have heard regarding faulty servos and esc's...
Yeah that's total horseshit, Sheldon had a servo on order for me last week and ordered an ESC today. I called him back and told him don't bother, they are unacceptable sub par electronics and I don't want to keep having the same issues. I asked if he could have his supervisor call me so I could get some credit towards parts on Axial's website. No call back yet. "First we've heard of it" I'm gonna call them back tomorrow and ask if they've had any other issues with these cars and God help him if he lies to me. We need to get more names guys. Let's hold them accountable for this pile of shit. It really is the only way we'll get acceptable results. I wish Brandon would chime in on this. We need help from someone on our side or at least someone on our forum.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 05:34 PM   #333
I wanna be Dave

Lol. I'll buy anyone's roller for $120.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 05:45 PM   #334
I wanna be Dave

Me too. I wish they would've spared us all the disappointment and only sold us the parts that were worth buying.
Old 12-19-2016, 06:29 PM   #335
Quarry Creeper

Before I sell to you guys for $120 I would push for a refund but I'm not going that route.
Old 12-19-2016, 07:47 PM   #336
I wanna be Dave

Of course and I'm not returning mine either because I feel like it's a good roller that just needs good electronics. I want Axial to take care of us though. I picked up a new servo today, still need to check the fit, I've got an RX/TX and the motor is fine. I just need to find a good small reliable ESC and I'll be all set. I'm thinking Hobbywing or Castle for the ESC. Still shopping around.
Old 12-19-2016, 08:20 PM   #337

I haven't seen many people discuss the TT specifically. I got really excited about it when I saw it and went ahead with the order last week. (Just getting back into RC after 12-15 years out and only a nitro buggy guy back then). I haven't been able to really do much since mine arrived today but the tooling around in my spare bedroom has been great so far. My servo does whine on startup but I just ignore that and if it ever does go I'll just replace with a recommendation here. I hope to keep track and hear more about everyone's condition and replacement parts.
iholmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 09:00 PM   #338
Quarry Creeper

Question, would the mini revo brushless system from traxxas fit? Otherwise I'm thinking Hobbywing is the way to go for affordable and waterproof stuff.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 09:15 PM   #339
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiwolfman View Post
Question, would the mini revo brushless system from traxxas fit? Otherwise I'm thinking Hobbywing is the way to go for affordable and waterproof stuff.

The vxl 380 looks like it fits but honestly that is wayyy too much power for this rig. I could test fit my spare one if you actually are interested
Old 12-19-2016, 09:17 PM   #340
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
The vxl 380 looks like it fits but honestly that is wayyy too much power for this rig. I could test fit my spare one if you actually are interested
That would be awesome, reason I ask is cos it's easily available here in Canada anything else has to be ordered online.
Agreed maybe little much for the drive train, run it in learning mode at 50% lol

Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote

Axial 1/18 Yeti (and Yeti Score) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial yeti turned into a score? 1964yeti Newbie General 6 08-18-2016 12:47 AM
Upgrading Axial yeti score Naosis Newbie General 3 08-11-2016 05:49 AM