Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Yeti or Rock Rey

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2017, 02:33 PM   #1

Default Yeti or Rock Rey

thinking about getting a Yeti; however, now that the Rock Rey is coming out I'am having second thoughts...

Yeti owners: if you were in my situation with your experience would you still go Yeti or take a risk (considering the success of the Baja Rey) on a Rock Rey?

Yeti kit price plus what it will need to be built will end up being more than the stock Rock Rey RTR...
hozzerr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2017, 02:44 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Yeti or Rock Rey

If you already have another axial rig (bomber/wraith/exo), get the Yeti. If you don't get the Losi
DenisLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 03:26 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hozzerr1 View Post
thinking about getting a Yeti; however, now that the Rock Rey is coming out I'am having second thoughts...

Yeti owners: if you were in my situation with your experience would you still go Yeti or take a risk (considering the success of the Baja Rey) on a Rock Rey?

Yeti kit price plus what it will need to be built will end up being more than the stock Rock Rey RTR...
Tell us more about how and where you are going to drive it.

If you want a general basher, with low gear for trails and such, the yeti does well.

If you want something for the street, the SCT track, and jumping, get a 4wd SCT/Slash/buggy.
DavidH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 03:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenisLM View Post
If you already have another axial rig (bomber/wraith/exo), get the Yeti. If you don't get the Losi
I do already have an SCX10 2, and a Bomber that my boy pilots most of the time.

I see the advantage of keeping it in the Axial family for parts to play nice with each other and swapping things back and forth if needed...
Old 01-09-2017, 04:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidH View Post
Tell us more about how and where you are going to drive it.

If you want a general basher, with low gear for trails and such, the yeti does well.

If you want something for the street, the SCT track, and jumping, get a 4wd SCT/Slash/buggy.
I do also have a ECX go fast 2WD that I jumb and bash around...

this rig would be used on surfaces like rocky stream beds, sand stone trails, etc. I live in Simi Valley, CA (So Cal) and we are surrounded by trials that are mostly rocky...

I envision a rig that can haul and soak up the bumps at speed approaching the walls, then drop it in to low and crawl
Old 01-09-2017, 05:29 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I do also have a ECX go fast 2WD that I jumb and bash around...

this rig would be used on surfaces like rocky stream beds, sand stone trails, etc. I live in Simi Valley, CA (So Cal) and we are surrounded by trials that are mostly rocky...

I envision a rig that can haul and soak up the bumps at speed approaching the walls, then drop it in to low and crawl
Then the yeti with the two-speed transmission upgrade should do you fine.

I would recommend that you use waterproof servos (I use a savox sw-1210sg for the steering, and a traxxas 2075 for the shifter), and move the receiver up into the fuel cell, and/or get a waterproof receiver. Water would not stay out of the rx box under the esc even with Vaseline on the seals.

And if I had one disappointment with the axial product, it is with the *rust* that appears on all of the fasteners. I used silicone spray, and changed to dabbing each bolt and nut with Corrosion-X, and have now asked the LHS to order me in a stainless set of fasteners.

The only thing I wonder is that, if I had started with a Bomber+two speed upgrade, could I have made it as fast as the Yeti?
Old 01-09-2017, 05:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidH View Post
The only thing I wonder is that, if I had started with a Bomber+two speed upgrade, could I have made it as fast as the Yeti?
I am wondering that too. By the time I am done upgrading it though (this is a RTR version), would I had been better off going for the Yeti? and I would have two trucks...

I am ordering the two speed set up for the Bomber already.

I was reading some other tread that to make the Yeti capable, the axles and drive line has to be upgraded too. this is one of the points that had me looking at the Rock Rey.

At least on paper it looks like it's well equipped.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:22 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I am wondering that too. By the time I am done upgrading it though (this is a RTR version), would I had been better off going for the Yeti? and I would have two trucks...

I am ordering the two speed set up for the Bomber already.

I was reading some other tread that to make the Yeti capable, the axles and drive line has to be upgraded too. this is one of the points that had me looking at the Rock Rey.

At least on paper it looks like it's well equipped.
I considered the rey, but it is disadvantaged by a lack of a two-speed option, which you may or may not be able to accommodate with a sensored ($) motor, and they are not without their list of weak points. It strikes me as more of a track truck than a part-time crawler.

I have not had any mechanical breakage on my yeti yet, running only 3s in on the rocks and trails.

And, with the yeti and the bomber, you can easily do this:

Old 02-21-2017, 10:13 PM   #9

So Yeti it is.
Finished building and painting.

ESC: Tekin RX8 Gen 2
Motor: Tekin Pro 4HD
Servo: Savox 1230SG

Old 02-22-2017, 09:21 AM   #10
33m
Pebble Pounder

Nice paint scheme!
33m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:59 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Looks great I really enjoy driving my YETI.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 10:13 AM   #12

Do you want a rig to drive (Losi) or a rig to upgrade and work on and then drive (Axial)?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:58 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Axial owners sure get trolled in these forums, lol. I wonder why this forum remains so quiet?

I made my decision before I knew of the rey's teething problems, or that the yeti RTR would be so reliable even on 3s.

I like losi, I own losi stuff, and losi was what I first looked at when I went shopping, but then axial looked like they had a product better suited to how and where I would use my RC, and losi did not - and still doesn't - make an equivalent product. :shrug:
Old 02-22-2017, 08:01 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Do you want a rig to drive (Losi) or a rig to upgrade and work on and then drive (Axial)?
I prefer building, modifying and upgrading to driving. Call me crazy.
Phylodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:56 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phylodog View Post
I wrench on mine WAY more than I drive it. Usually because my buddy bails on me and it's not as fun alone.
Vedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:24 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phylodog View Post
I love building and modifying. I don't like breaking or being forced to upgrade due to weak parts or poor designs.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:30 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

I'll be getting the rok rey, and what I wish Losi would do is come out with an 8th scale version of it to compete against the YXL, I'm not to fond of upgrading every other part on an rc, which seems to be the case with many axial rigs.
jump_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 04:55 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Haven't owned a Yeti though I own a Bomber which was briefly brushless on 3S and a 3S brushless SCX10 and now a Rock Roy.

Firstly it seems big. 1/8 sized I'd say. It's bigger than the Bomber.

Secondly it's very powerful and fast and it crawls 'ok'. I had no trouble equalling and surpassing the Bomber in regards to getting up 'stuff'. It's a brute in comparison (no delicacy or lack of wheel spin but it does often hook up without fuss and just throw itself up stuff in a ridiculously fast manner which is awesome) and so far I seriously like it.

I like the metal and solid feel of the drivetrain. Cage is a bit flimsy. It is crying out for a killer aftermarket cage.

From my time with the Bomber I'd say the RRey looks fairly solid mechanically.
CoolRunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 11:32 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I love building and modifying. I don't like breaking or being forced to upgrade due to weak parts or poor designs.
Indeed. Following the threads on the baja rey here and elsewhere it sounds like the bearing issues are something you need to deal with before you start to really use it.

I wonder if Losi/Horizon Hobby as has officially addressed this issue. I don't think this is typical of Losi products.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:39 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolRunning View Post
Haven't owned a Yeti though I own a Bomber which was briefly brushless on 3S and a 3S brushless SCX10 and now a Rock Roy.

Firstly it seems big. 1/8 sized I'd say. It's bigger than the Bomber.

Secondly it's very powerful and fast and it crawls 'ok'. I had no trouble equalling and surpassing the Bomber in regards to getting up 'stuff'. It's a brute in comparison (no delicacy or lack of wheel spin but it does often hook up without fuss and just throw itself up stuff in a ridiculously fast manner which is awesome) and so far I seriously like it.

I like the metal and solid feel of the drivetrain. Cage is a bit flimsy. It is crying out for a killer aftermarket cage.

From my time with the Bomber I'd say the RRey looks fairly solid mechanically.
My son was looking at a slash as the go-fast rig to compliment his summit, and I have been steering him towards the the Losi Ten-SCBE. Did you consider the SCBE before buying the Rock Rey?

Yeti or Rock Rey - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yeti vs Rock Rey Rybroca Non Crawler RC's 121 04-19-2017 05:18 PM
Losi Rock Rey 4WD Rock Racer Open for Pre-Order RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 1 01-04-2017 06:18 PM
Added section for Baja/Rock Rey Wes S. Comments, Suggestions, and Help 2 01-04-2017 09:28 AM
Renegade Rock Runners @ Marina Del Rey, CA + 4 Wheel Steer YETI!!! 4x4Jay Videos! 2 02-13-2015 04:53 PM