Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Yeti Jr (RR and TT) Stock ESC/RX Issues and Replacement Options

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2017, 01:01 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Yeti Jr (RR and TT) Stock ESC/RX Issues and Replacement Options

The other thread was getting cluttered with various topics, so I figured there should be a few threads for the specific topics in that thread so that the information is easier to find.

This first post will hopefully help document the issues users are having with the stock electronics, the second post below will be some of the information quoted from the other thread for those that have replaced the electronics to show what aftermarket options are known to work.

Please feel free to post in this thread if you have had problems with the stock electronics, and what you have done to fix them or what you replaced them with.

There is a different thread for servos, so please keep this thread as OEM electronics issues and ESC/RX replacements.

Stock Electronics:
The stock electronics are known to be likely to fail very quickly in these little rigs. Axial provides a warranty, and you can contact them for a replacement if you want to receive the same Tactic 2-in-1 ESC/RX combo.

Often these fail when switching to 2S lipo. It is not clear if those users switched the setting in the ESC, but the slight increase in voltage should not have been the problem if they didn't.

If you are looking to swap to something better, see post 2 for some examples of what other users have swapped to.

Here are some examples of problems users have had with the stock ESC/RX:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cometcyclonemk View Post
Yes, while adjusting settings the receiver / ESC went non-responsive. Working with Axial now, trying to get a replacement in time to have some fun with it over the holiday break.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Torquepants View Post
Well, mine's dead. Got to work a few minutes ago. Plugged 'er up. Drove it around the side of the building and back, on pavement, and it suddenly came to a stop. No response at all. Unplugged, plugged, nothing. Started smelling hot electronics. Popped the top and the front half of the ESC/RX combo was getting really warm so I unplugged it. Nothing is pinched anywhere that I can see. It just up and died.
…So a lame servo out of the box and a dead RX/ESC within the first 3 days. This ready to run stuff is for the birds.
Quote:
*Edit* Not sure if it's disappointing or comforting that my rx/esc isn't the only one that died within minutes. Axial told me I have to ship them in before they'll send anything out - is that what everyone else has been told?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
Ran it around the kitchen for about 3 minutes then she stops dead. No steering, no throttle, nothing. Reset power 5 or 6 times in different order, ESC then remote, remote then ESC, nothing. Now I get to call Axial on Monday and tell them they sold me a complete lemon. What a disappointment. I'm replacing everything and taking this servo back for a better one. The stock electronics are garbage.
Quote:
Hmm. That's two replaced with HS-65MGs followed by an ESC shutdown after a short run. Surely the servo circuit isn't that weak. Still, sucks to hear about yet another one going down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavaheadache View Post
my esc burnt up and my servo was basically non functional out of box. It wouldn't center from a left turn at all, even lifted off the ground. I love the machine but the electronics are utter garbage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott1981 View Post
well, upgraded to 2s lipo and within 30 seconds esc went up in smoke. stock servo and everything else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiphead View Post
I nearly got two packs through the Jr with the new servo before the ESC ****-to-bed.
My son and I were taking turns doing laps around the kitchen and living room when the truck suddenly stopped. I opened it up, unplugged the battery and then burnt my finger touching the ESC. That thing was hotter than hell. I let it cool down and charged up the battery (still using stock). Before calling it a night, I plugged the battery in and nothing. No LED light, no sounds, the ESC/Receiver is toast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poprivet View Post
Well, like the rest, my electronics crapped out the second after i put a lipo in it. I never even hit the throttle. The second i touched the steering it went down unresponsive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpnalder1 View Post
Update to my issue. When I plug the battery in and turn on the transmitter the transmitter led light will flash red every little bit. Not sure if this is because of the esc/receiver combo being bad or could that be the transmitter itself? The esc doesn't even make a noise now when plugging the battery in. I'm irritated as many of you are and frustrated with the amount of money going in to this already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_yeti View Post
Did u change battery type as u switched to lipo ?
The RE20 ESC/RX has to be programmed if u change the battery type see instructions (Page 11).
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaPlagu3 View Post
Recieved my rock racer version about 90 mins ago. It drove a few ft and stopped. I figured the included battery was too low voltage. I have a few small packs I had pre charged waiting on just a dean's plug swap. After the plug swap, same thing, made it a few feet and it stopped. I could still steer at this point. I let it sit there for a few mins while I looked in the manual... it twitched the steering on its own, at this point I lost steering control on the transmitter. I started calling axial, while waiting on hold the car took off on its own, I had to disconnect the battery. While talking to the tech, I plugged it in again. It would twitch the steering every few seconds, then I saw what looked like an amber led start glowing not far from the red led on the reciever. But as the smell of burnt electronics hit my nose, I realized it wasn't an led:( so I get to ship it back, pretty bummed atm, I hope they don't hassle me over the dean's connector...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzican View Post
So i got it full knowing that a lot of people were having issues. Even ordered a new servo which came the same day the Yeti jr came. Charged the battery, and drove it around the living room and it just stopped. Servo was twitching a little bit. Turned it off, and let it sit awhile. Plugged it in again and same thing. Think I got a bad battery or the esc failing already?

It seems most ESCs fail with 2S lipo, but some are failing with the stock battery. Also some users report the ESC failed after they upgraded their servo.

If you want to upgrade to something better, check out post 2 for some examples that are known to work in these rigs:
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2017, 01:01 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Yeti Jr (RR and TT) Stock ESC/RX Issues and Replacement Options

If you want to replace the stock ESC/RX combo, you will need to find a new ESC, and a receiver that works for your existing radio, or a transmitter/receiver combo.

Some ESCs are compatible with the stock brushed motor, and some are only compatible with brushless motors. There are others that are compatible with both brushed and brushless, and can be switched through programming the ESC. Check with the manufacturer to see what the ESC is compatible with.

Here are some examples of upgraded electronics other users are reporting to work with these little rigs:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
"An exciting new contender in the smaller scale RC world was announced right before the weekend, and we couldīt resist the urge to instantly overpower it! Axial Racing's BRAND NEW Yeti JR. got the Castle treatment by installing a Mamba Micro X brushless system, adding a lot of spice in a small size!
Our range of 1/18th scale products can be found by following this link: Mamba Micro X
*Note that use of a specific pinion, for example the LOSB1261, is required for a proper installation"
Edit, they used the 4,100 for first tests.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StatGSR View Post
Quote:
Hobbywing QuicRun 1625 ESC
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
RadioLink RC4G Transmitter/Receiver with Gyro
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TownsendTdi View Post
I wanted to use the same multi- model tx I use for everything so swapped out the esc/rx combo for a spektrum rx and an old losi brushed esc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracer View Post
Page 8 of user manual lists accessories for the radio system, two of which being receivers with no ESC built in.
TACL0325 - TR325 3Ch 2.4GHz Receiver Only
TACL0326 - TR326 3Ch 2.4GHz RX Only HV
The second is the High Voltage (lipo) capable one. 6.0V max for the TR325, 8.4V max for the TR326. Should bind up with the stock transmitter. (But I have not tried this myself.)
I've had great luck with my FlySky GT3 system. It was like $35 and with some other mods, it programmable for multiple channels, models, etc.
Quote:
The stock electronics block is gone. It has been replaced with a Spektrum SR210 receiver and an HPI SC-3SWP2 waterproof, 3S capable brushed ESC. I taped the RX to the servo and made an ESC tray out of ABS plastic. I used the battery adjuster slots to bolt the tray to the chassis. Worked out really well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abailey21 View Post
Just picked up the hobbywing 7800 combo and a 65MG servo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiphead View Post
I ordered up a Mamba Micro X and a receiver for my 4PL. My wife is pissed. She surprised me with it for Christmas and it is already a paperweight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavaheadache View Post
Mamba Micro Yeti X
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracer View Post
I was looking at some inexpensive electronics upgrades for this:
ESC - Hobbywing Quicrun 1625 (Waterproof) - $20
Radio - FlySky FS-GT2E (with receiver) - $25
You could also swap the motor for a brushless system:
ESC - Hobbywing Quicrun 16BL30 with 2435 motor - $55
Of course there are other options, but I think that this would be a decent, inexpensive step up from the stock electronics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poprivet View Post
Ae-5- from my bomber (now sold)
Spektrum sr3100 rx- i always have a couple extra rx, just in case.
I had to make a little bracket to mount the servo. I hate cutting up a new chassis. The bracket was pretty simple to make. Im using a stock wraith servo mount on the other side.
Ae-5, already had the stock bullets, so no soldering required. Servo taped to the top of the servo. Rx servo taped to the side of the esc heat sink.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
Got my replacement ESC in. Took advantage of an Amain coupon and free shipping so it only ran me $35. Overkill for sure but it's small and waterproof, switchable 3amp BEC for 6v or 7.4v, good for 2s or 3s, and many other programmable features with the included card. I've wanted to try one of these new Hobbywing 1080 ESCs for a while and this was the perfect application for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by guards951 View Post
Got my Mamba Micro X today! It's definitely spunky just on 2S
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaryan654 View Post
Mamba micro x combo is a beast in this little guy on 3s it does back flips on carpet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Nice, could use Hobbywing WP1625: HOBBYWING North America — QUICRUN Brushed System
Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
In case anyone was wondering, the Tactic TX300 radio (from any other Axial RTR) will bind straight to the stock electronics. It feels like a high end radio after using the awful stock one for about 5 minutes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicostaxxs007 View Post
just ordered quickrun 1625 brushed esc $23,flysky transmitter, reciever n power HD 1711 servo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyHILL View Post
Yeti score 5300kv Castle brushless 26mph 12t pinion

Keep in mind, most of the above users replaced the entire electronics set-up, including the motor, battery, and servo. It isn't required, but recommended to do this to get the best performance from your Yeti Jr.

Last edited by monkeyracer; 01-11-2017 at 01:12 PM.
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:27 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I didn't even test stock electronics, I just pulled them out.

Im running a mamba micro x combo 4100kv, and picked up a tactic 3 channel tx/rx to use aux wire for on the fly switching.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 07:28 PM   #4

Having these very issues myself after only 40min of operation. interestingly enough after changing to lipo mode, I never smelt or saw anything unusual, then after failing the esc flashes its red light constantly. I managed to get it working again with a nimh from the box, no issue.. tried a different lipo.. seems no issue with that one either .. also the esc no longer beeps or lights up when on. I am now no longer sure if its the ESC, a bad lipo or both!.
reaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 03:46 AM   #5

Have replaced servo but haven't really ran it until in last two weeks (backyard & living room). I noticed it loses power after running 10 minutes or so. Charged it up and same thing happens. I then tried to unplug/replug battery and few runs again the power dies. Reconnect battery - runs then dies again.

Battery is stock no other mods other than micro servo savox.

Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
ViperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote

Yeti Jr (RR and TT) Stock ESC/RX Issues and Replacement Options - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yeti Jr (RR and TT) Stock Servo Issues and Replacement Options monkeyracer Axial Yeti 16 06-17-2017 07:47 PM
Diagnose connection issues AX-3+stock receiver w/BRXL ESC azlnick Newbie General 5 10-23-2015 10:44 AM
Yeti Xl Replacement ESC doesn't have cap installed ednerin Electronics 1 01-20-2015 05:24 PM