Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Waterproof Motor/ESV for Yeti?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2017, 06:44 PM   #1

Default Waterproof Motor/ESV for Yeti?

I was going to buy the Tekin ProHD4 3000k and the RX8 Gen2 but these are not waterproof. I am not always crashing through the mud and water, but it happens at time. Thought on alternatives? Also any recommendations on servo upgrades to the stock RTR?

Thanks in advance.
winemoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2017, 09:27 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Waterproof Motor/ESV for Yeti?

Best ESC is easy. Either the new Castle Mamba X or the Mamba Monster X. Both waterproof, both have a programmable aux wire, both have a good internal BEC, both are 6s rated. The motor is a bit harder. Waterproof is easy for unsensored but I don't know of any sensored and factory waterproof motors. In that case I'd buy a 540XL from Holmes in whatever kv you like and add his waterproofing or do it yourself.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 03:45 PM   #3

Will a little dampness and or occasional splash do in a non-waterproof motor?
winemoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 03:56 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

I just swapped out my M.M.P. ( self waterproofed ) for the Mamba X, and I love it. I also am running 3 MMX's ( in other rigs ) and it has definitely become my favourite ESC. I had one MMX short out and smoke me out of the room, probably my fault, but Castle replaced it "no questions asked"

Great products, even better customer service. ( my experiences )
rcbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 04:01 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

As to the motor ... I spoke with Castle and they tell me that they apply two coats of conformal coating on the sensor boards of their new "sensored" line-up. I just seal up the rest of the can with some liquid electrical tape, and cover up the sensor plugs ( after you install obviously ) with some silicone caulking.

I have done the same to the boards in all my Tekin sensored motors and have never had a problem ... coat the sensor board, seal up the can good and drive it like you stole it.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:16 PM   #6

I have waterproofed my tekin pro 4hd 3000kv the MTRanger way in this movie he is using a tekin roc 412 but it is the same way to make it waterproof
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO9C8tXU1Jo
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 05:51 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

i pretty much do the same thing as in the video you posted, except I have been using corrosion X instead of a silicone / urethane conformal coating. ( next one I will try silicone conformal coating ). I also plug any holes ( motor mounting holes ) that are not being used in the front of the motor and pack a little marine grease around the shaft were it enters the can. So far any Tekin I have done ( T8 / Pro4HD / Roc 412 ) have all had the same sensor board set-up. I assume you are aware that doing this will void any warranty from your motor manufacturer, but IMO it is still something that should be done.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:36 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Can't go wrong with a Holmes Hobbies Puller Pro BL and Trailmaster BLE Pro ESC. Both can be ordered in waterproof.
Vedo is offline   Reply With Quote

Waterproof Motor/ESV for Yeti? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yeti xl kit... Best waterproof servo Motorider Axial Yeti XL 5 07-07-2015 03:21 PM
Need recommendation for waterproof Yeti ESC 1BAMFR Axial Yeti 4 09-30-2014 06:24 PM
Brushed motor for some speed or waterproof sensored esc/motor. Wehan G-Made Crawlers 13 01-30-2014 07:15 PM