Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: I'm at a crossroads...truck selection

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2017, 03:39 PM   #41
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: I'm at a crossroads...truck selection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanky View Post
I have a Baja Rey, and a yeti, I also happen to have owned a SCTE 3.0. If the OP wanted a track racer no doubt a Short Course truck is the way to go. For his use, Id point him toward a slash 4x4.

Yeti is more top heavy then the Baja rey and narrower

My Baja Rey has been Straight Flogged by my 2 Nephews and my Son. all 3s HV use. Out of the box, I sold the Transmitter/RX/Servo back to my LHS, and got a Savox 1270TG, and Castle BEC. Ive Replaced the front and rear pinion bearings, and "upgraded" them to ones I had on hand from my Losi Eight T 3.0 Truggy I had on hand. Other then the pinion bearings, and a stripped rear drive couple, zero issues. Center Diff is also a huge benefit from a track tuning option. I simply put 1m fluid in it, and greased the front diff making it spin free.
I would expect a new product to have some teething issues, but which handles better, the Rey or the SCTE?
Quote:
2-speeds are cool on brushed summits, or a super low geared scale crawler. However, in my humble opinion to add weight to a yeti is nuts, and to add more electronics/ another linkage / and moving parts in the transmission is making it more of a headache. Why not add a better sensored brushless syetem. It will crawl awesome, and have more top end, be less complex, have less parts to break, and not need any maintenance?
Why not go to sensored brushless? Simple: I have not seen an example of where sensored brushless has been used as a substitute for gearing, and I don't have the budget to experiment, and the two speed is proven to work; on the weekend I was out testing the recent 4WS install, and spent an hour and a half on the rocks and trails and never took it out of low gear. And the truck is still only at 6.6 pounds w/o battery.

If you have an example of a 30+ mph sensored-brushless wraith/bomber/yeti crawling on the rocks (with comparable costs to the rtr+2-speed option), let me know.

Last edited by DavidH; 01-23-2017 at 03:45 PM.
DavidH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2017, 04:01 PM   #42

There's a Non Crawler section. You should probably have posted this question there.

Anytime you buy a compromise truck for multiple purposes it typically ends up not being good at either.

Axial doesn't make a good, durable basher in stock form. You'll need lots of upgrades and money to make it withstand punishment of bashing.

The Bomber kit is Axial's best dual purpose rig. It can crawl and do light bashing. It's also the most well equipped/upgraded kit out of the box. You're not going to get a durable, dual purpose one for $400 though. It's solid axle so it's more geared towards crawling rather than bashing.

A Yeti can be a dual purpose rig, but it needs a lot of upgrades and money thrown at it. It's a better go fast rig, but IFS is not for crawling. And it has little ground clearance with the huge tub chassis that hurts it crawling and going fast.

So you don't really want an Axial in my opinion.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 04:17 PM   #43

I'm heavily leaning toward the Yeti and here's why.
1) Aftermarket and modding following is amazing and huge, I hear nothing but great things about Axial customer service.
2) Still allows me to run single batteries vs a larger 1/8th truck.
3) To convert between a TT and a RR is fairly easy (will keep me entertained)
4) The truck can be "bashed" and have decent top speed all while still capable to "crawl" and scale things. I use "" because I know many would disagree in the technical sense of the words but again I'm not launching it 10ft in the air nor am I entering crawling competitions. Like someone mentioned it's swiss army knife like. "Jack of all trades master of none".

I have been watching a ton of reviews/builds/driving videos and keeping an eye on what all of them have in common.
Stronger rear lower and upper links (already on kit version)
shim steering servo
upgrade driveshafts
Go Kit version with 1/8th censored brushless motor on 2S...3S if I'm feeling spunky.
2 setups of wheels+springs+diff tune combos. One for bashing and then one for scaling/crawling.

With the amount of support and commonality between the Score/Wraith the conversions and builds will keep me busy for some time. I accept it can get pricey, but the fun is in the journey of modding lol. I'll get annoyed if there was an inherent design flaw (the Yeti XL ring/pinion HD gear issue comes to mind that BarHarborBasher seemed to have solved).
smitty2919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 04:23 PM   #44
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidH View Post
I would expect a new product to have some teething issues, but which handles better, the Rey or the SCTE?

Why not go to sensored brushless? Simple: I have not seen an example of where sensored brushless has been used as a substitute for gearing, and I don't have the budget to experiment, and the two speed is proven to work; on the weekend I was out testing the recent 4WS install, and spent an hour and a half on the rocks and trails and never took it out of low gear. And the truck is still only at 6.6 pounds w/o battery.

If you have an example of a 30+ mph sensored-brushless wraith/bomber/yeti crawling on the rocks (with comparable costs to the rtr+2-speed option), let me know.
Baja rey handles its intended use better then the SCTE, SCTE handles its intended use better then the Baja Rey(My serpent cobra GTE 3.0 handles better then both of them, my MGT7e is faster then them all). Where I race my BR, not sure I'd even take a Shortcourse. I admit, when I purchased the Rey, I was planning on pulling the smaller size tires to add 5.5" 2.2 tires. I absolutely love the truck. without much setup time, it handles very flat extremely balanced, and is much less squirly then my yeti. (front sway, Center diff, lower COG, and much more steering angle)

When the weather Clears up/this weekend, I'll get you a video of both my yeti n Bomber... Both are capable of crawling Dead Smooth, and go 30+. I'll also shoot a video of the BR as comparison.

I spent $90 on the MMX, and $100 on the 3500XL, both off of the classifieds in this forum.

Not exactly sure what 2 speed setup you have, or what electronics you have, I may be a few dollars ahead of you... by the time you add in two additional servos, C-hubs/Knuckles, steering links, and UNi's, I gotta be dollars ahead, with better steering with a Blip of the throttle I'd have to assume much more reliable as well...

All in all, That is the best part of the hobby. Building a truck that works for YOU. Putting all the parts into a truck that makes the most sense for your maximum enjoyment. I know I can fall in love with one setup, completely change it 180* and love it just the same...
Lanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 05:37 PM   #45
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty2919 View Post
1) Aftermarket and modding following is amazing and huge, I hear nothing but great things about Axial customer service.
4) The truck can be "bashed" and have decent top speed all while still capable to "crawl" and scale things. I use "" because I know many would disagree in the technical sense of the words but again I'm not launching it 10ft in the air nor am I entering crawling competitions. Like someone mentioned it's swiss army knife like. "Jack of all trades master of none".

I have been watching a ton of reviews/builds/driving videos and keeping an eye on what all of them have in common.
shim steering servo
upgrade driveshafts
Go Kit version with 1/8th censored brushless motor on 2S...3S if I'm feeling spunky.
2 setups of wheels+springs+diff tune combos. One for bashing and then one for scaling/crawling.

With the amount of support and commonality between the Score/Wraith the conversions and builds will keep me busy for some time. I accept it can get pricey, but the fun is in the journey of modding lol. I'll get annoyed if there was an inherent design flaw (the Yeti XL ring/pinion HD gear issue comes to mind that BarHarborBasher seemed to have solved).
Sounds like you are working it out, and I agree with most of what you put there.

However, if I see you complain about how the Yeti jumps, I'll link back to this thread.

As an aside, whenever I see the "Jack of all trades master of none" quote, I always think of the Robert A. Heinlein counter-quote, "Specialization is for insects" (obviously not what I would apply to a competition rig.)

Last edited by DavidH; 01-23-2017 at 05:40 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:58 PM   #46

Quote:

shim steering servo
upgrade driveshafts

The Yeti can't be bashed without throwing money at it. You will quickly find that out.

Axial's customer service is hit and miss.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 07:49 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
The Yeti can't be bashed without throwing money at it. You will quickly find that out.

Axial's customer service is hit and miss.
Depends on your idea of what "bashing" is. To me, it's anything that is not on course, in a competition, not crawling/slow driving. It is do whatever I want jump it couple feet off the ground, rip across the yard and chase the dogs. Some jump 20ft...I get that, but I'm asking for trouble doing that. But I also want a rig that can entertain me trail driving if needed and give me some technical aspect.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:45 PM   #48
Quarry Creeper

Old 01-23-2017, 11:16 PM   #49
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanky View Post
Baja rey handles its intended use better then the SCTE, SCTE handles its intended use better then the Baja Rey(My serpent cobra GTE 3.0 handles better then both of them, my MGT7e is faster then them all). Where I race my BR, not sure I'd even take a Shortcourse. I admit, when I purchased the Rey, I was planning on pulling the smaller size tires to add 5.5" 2.2 tires. I absolutely love the truck. without much setup time, it handles very flat extremely balanced, and is much less squirly then my yeti. (front sway, Center diff, lower COG, and much more steering angle)
As my Audi S5 handles better than my neighbour's Jeep Grand Cherokee.

My question was more aimed at, why buy the Rey over the SCTE? Is it those fancy fake disc brakes? It's okay to admit that here.
Quote:
When the weather Clears up/this weekend, I'll get you a video of both my yeti n Bomber... Both are capable of crawling Dead Smooth, and go 30+. I'll also shoot a video of the BR as comparison.
Cool. Steeper the better.
Quote:
I spent $90 on the MMX, and $100 on the 3500XL, both off of the classifieds in this forum.
Shame that those in the used market here in Canada try to get 85% of their money back on used suff. I'd rather buy new.
Quote:
Not exactly sure what 2 speed setup you have, or what electronics you have,
Axial + stock rtr motor/esc.+ 3s
Quote:
I may be a few dollars ahead of you... by the time you add in two additional servos, C-hubs/Knuckles, steering links, and UNi's, I gotta be dollars ahead, with better steering with a Blip of the throttle I'd have to assume much more reliable as well...
I can't steer with the throttle. Too much traction.

But nothing has broken yet.
Quote:
All in all, That is the best part of the hobby. Building a truck that works for YOU. Putting all the parts into a truck that makes the most sense for your maximum enjoyment. I know I can fall in love with one setup, completely change it 180* and love it just the same...
Indeed. Out of curiosity, I fabricated and installed a front sway bar, and got the f/r roll stiffness balanced for road handling... and then realized I never drive this thing on the road, or on any tracks. Back to the off-road (or no-road) tune it went.
Old 01-24-2017, 04:59 AM   #50

DavidH, what wheel/tire combos that on the Yeti? That's what I would be looking to do.
Old 01-24-2017, 11:00 AM   #51
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
DavidH, what wheel/tire combos that on the Yeti? That's what I would be looking to do.
Pro-Line PRO10125-14 MX28 Badlands 2.8 on F-11 wheels, big offset
Pro-Line PRO10125-15 MX28 Badlands 2.8 on F-11 wheels, small offset
Axial AXI30427 Narrow 12 mm hub set

Important: I use double Nyloc nuts on rear tightened with a 1/4" socket wrench; between the traction and the 3s torque they didn't want to stay on with the factory wrench. If they get loose, you can easily strip the plastic hex (which I almost did). And, they are relatively inexpensive, and easily sourced.

I have also since GOOP'd the vent holes, to keep the water out of the foams. I got water in one of them, and it was #$@&%ing hard to squeeze it all out.

Here is a better look at them on the truck:

I feel that while the positive offset does not add to the width (stability) of the truck, it does make for comparatively less stress on the front spindles and c-hubs than the smaller 2.2" wheels and taller tires that stick out to the sides.
Old 01-24-2017, 11:27 AM   #52
Pebble Pounder

Quote:

I have also since GOOP'd the vent holes, to keep the water out of the foams. I got water in one of them, and it was #$@&%ing hard to squeeze it all out.
Dude just vent your tires. Put two small holes 180 degrees apart in your tires. When rotating the centripetal force will draw all the water out.
Sapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 12:05 PM   #53
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapes View Post
Dude just vent your tires. Put two small holes 180 degrees apart in your tires. When rotating the centripetal force will draw all the water out.
I hear you, but the 1:1 car guy in me cannot go there yet.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:44 PM   #54
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I hear you, but the 1:1 car guy in me cannot go there yet.

You have foams in your 1:1 ???

Vent them for open cell foams.

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 01:16 PM   #55
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
You have foams in your 1:1 ???
No, but I don't go cutting holes in their tires either.
Old 01-24-2017, 01:19 PM   #56
RCC Addict

You've got to have a crazy ex-girlfriend that will do it for you, right?
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 02:08 PM   #57
I wanna be Dave

In RC you want both foams and holes !

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 03:44 PM   #58
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
As my Audi S5 handles better than my neighbour's Jeep Grand Cherokee.

My question was more aimed at, why buy the Rey over the SCTE? Is it those fancy fake disc brakes? It's okay to admit that here.

Cool. Steeper the better.

Shame that those in the used market here in Canada try to get 85% of their money back on used suff. I'd rather buy new.

Axial + stock rtr motor/esc.+ 3s

I can't steer with the throttle. Too much traction.

But nothing has broken yet.

Indeed. Out of curiosity, I fabricated and installed a front sway bar, and got the f/r roll stiffness balanced for road handling... and then realized I never drive this thing on the road, or on any tracks. Back to the off-road (or no-road) tune it went.

Precisely!!! now you got it! Audi's are cute! my ol lady and sister both drive them!(seriously)

The reason I purchased the Baja Rey is because I liked it. If you think it compares to a Short course truck, I cannot help you, they are entirely different. The wheels I run on my Baja Rey dictated me loosing the scale Brake rotors/ calipers. I'm not into the scale thing, so that doesn't bother me.

I'm sorry the used Canadian market is weak.

Personally I wouldn't run a MT tire on a yeti, I am not saying your wrong or insulting you at all. My only experience with Badlands was on a truggy in the grass they were amazing! I'd rather a flatter contact patch with tighter spacing for rocks, not a tire designed to "Clean out". Maybe from my close minded dirtbike background, racing in loose dirt MX style tire, goating rocky accents, trials tire... I do believe in people running whatever they want! So more power to you.

FYI no need to "fabricate" anything, you can run old HPI RS4 3 sway bars and Losi Eight sway bar links (just what I had on hand) and im positive a multitude of other combo's....

In an effort to not de rail the thread anymore, I'll gracefully bow out.

Good luck Smitty, no matter what you decide on you'll have a blast, you'll be making tweaks, and having fun. You can't make a bad decision

Last edited by Lanky; 01-25-2017 at 06:22 AM.
Lanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 04:50 PM   #59
Quarry Creeper

One of my favorite bash spots is a construction zone just up the road. I used to go there a lot with my LCG Slash 4x4 and my Troy Lee SCTE. The Slash was just okay, but the SCTE was fast and agile. Unfortunately, I could only get about a battery pack or two in the SCTE before a pebble would eventually destroy the spur gear. The Slash would occasionally get a rock wedged in the driveshaft. I eventually sold both and purchased a Baja Rey. It handles the conditions in a fantastic manner and the drivetrain never gets stopped by rocks. I've never driven a Yeti, but I could see where it would do well there as well. If I lived some place with less rocks and more soft dirt then maybe I would still be driving the SCTE.

Also, while the SCTE doesn't handle the rough ground quite as well as the Baja Rey, it was much easier to drive on pavement. Fortunately, I have things that drive much better on pavement.
colbynobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 07:42 AM   #60
I wanna be Dave

Smitty, i have an upgraded rtr yeti that i bought used back in november. I love it but it has had issues. That meme of rick talking to carl nailed it lol i kinda trail bash? First thing i broke its maiden voyage was the stock left chub and steering knuckle against a brock whilst crossing a small creek at 3/4 speed. I laughed, cursed, went to my lhs and bought replacement parts. 5 minutes after repair, hit a curb and broke another left knuckle on a curb. And now i have a plethora of right side knuckles lol

Finally bought ssd knuckles but havent installed them yet. Repaired both broken stock sets with gorilla glue and extra plastic to reinforce. Solid so far.
Currently sitting without a front driveshaft pin for the second time. Need to order a pack of screws from tower and either slather in loctite or a dab of gorilla glue.

This is all on stock rtr motor and esc with 3s. 2s would be too slow and its true 3s really brings the yeti to life.
Most important thing i think to upgrade on 3s i think is gears. Mine has hd axial set and havent nuked anything in the drivetrain yet.

I think you would be happy with a yeti. Just expect to throw a little cash at it where you need to. Depending on your driving style, that will determine what needs upgraded first. I have no problem upgrading and intended for this to be a money sponge. I bought proline xt shocks just for the hell of it. Ok and because my rtr shocks are dead anyway, but still... its a man toy and its fun. Yeti is often hailed as a 3 in 1 rig. Go for it!

Last edited by Shinchu; 01-25-2017 at 07:45 AM. Reason: I hate touch screen typing.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote

I'm at a crossroads...truck selection - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shock selection & locker selection 701scaler Axial SCX-10 1 02-24-2016 09:29 PM
Carnes Crossroads Satheddal South Carolina 7 03-22-2015 03:20 PM
Newbie at a crossroads Verewolf Newbie General 3 08-27-2014 10:54 PM
Crawling in Carbes crossroads. Satheddal South Carolina 2 06-14-2014 08:47 AM
Carnes crossroads Arock87 South Carolina 8 03-30-2014 08:32 PM