Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: I'm at a crossroads...truck selection

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2017, 10:30 AM   #61
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: I'm at a crossroads...truck selection

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidH View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapes View Post
Quote:

I have also since GOOP'd the vent holes, to keep the water out of the foams. I got water in one of them, and it was #$@&%ing hard to squeeze it all out.
Dude just vent your tires. Put two small holes 180 degrees apart in your tires. When rotating the centripetal force will draw all the water out.

I hear you, but the 1:1 car guy in me cannot go there yet.
The answer to the question I was looking for! Unfortunately... I think I'll head towards blocking off the holes as well. I can't bring myself to cut the tires either.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2017, 12:22 PM   #62
I wanna be Dave

No need to cut or vent .Your tires will soon go out of balance or the foams will collapse and fail.
That must be why some manufacturers vent wheels

I'm glad that 1:1 stuff works on your RC's !

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 01:12 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
Smitty, i have an upgraded rtr yeti that i bought used back in november. I love it but it has had issues. That meme of rick talking to carl nailed it lol i kinda trail bash? First thing i broke its maiden voyage was the stock left chub and steering knuckle against a brock whilst crossing a small creek at 3/4 speed. I laughed, cursed, went to my lhs and bought replacement parts. 5 minutes after repair, hit a curb and broke another left knuckle on a curb. And now i have a plethora of right side knuckles lol

Finally bought ssd knuckles but havent installed them yet. Repaired both broken stock sets with gorilla glue and extra plastic to reinforce. Solid so far.
Currently sitting without a front driveshaft pin for the second time. Need to order a pack of screws from tower and either slather in loctite or a dab of gorilla glue.

This is all on stock rtr motor and esc with 3s. 2s would be too slow and its true 3s really brings the yeti to life.
Most important thing i think to upgrade on 3s i think is gears. Mine has hd axial set and havent nuked anything in the drivetrain yet.

I think you would be happy with a yeti. Just expect to throw a little cash at it where you need to. Depending on your driving style, that will determine what needs upgraded first. I have no problem upgrading and intended for this to be a money sponge. I bought proline xt shocks just for the hell of it. Ok and because my rtr shocks are dead anyway, but still... its a man toy and its fun. Yeti is often hailed as a 3 in 1 rig. Go for it!
I totally understand. I know no truck is indestructible. Hitting curbs at speed or rocks in the wrong way will break a lot of trucks. Landing most trucks like a lawn dart on one front wheel will break things. I am OK with upgrading parts as they break because of my driving. If I'm attempting to crawl, bury a wheel between rocks and attempt to power out and snap an axle...well my fault.

But if driving on grass and it traction rolls, breaks a hub or a-arm....well then I think that's an issue lol.

Looking at different style builds and wheel combos and the vast aftermarket, I'm interested to see what I may like to turn the truck into. Use some 2.8 MT wheels for backyard bashing but make some shock/spring/wheel changes and spend they day crawling. At least that's my idea lol.
smitty2919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 01:38 PM   #64
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanky View Post
Precisely!!! now you got it! Audi's are cute! my ol lady and sister both drive them!(seriously)

The reason I purchased the Baja Rey is because I liked it. If you think it compares to a Short course truck, I cannot help you, they are entirely different.
Indeed, one is nose-and top-heavy compared to the other, but I see no reason why they cannot be compared - I would want the one that performs better. Why do Rey owners get so evasive on this question?
Quote:
The wheels I run on my Baja Rey dictated me loosing the scale Brake rotors/ calipers. I'm not into the scale thing, so that doesn't bother me.

I'm sorry the used Canadian market is weak.

Personally I wouldn't run a MT tire on a yeti,
MT tires? Actually, they are Rustler tires, and they are smaller than what comes on the Yeti rock racer . I picked them as they have an offset that tucks them under the score bodywork.
Quote:
I am not saying your wrong or insulting you at all. My only experience with Desperado's was on a truggy in the grass they were amazing! I'd rather a flatter contact patch with tighter spacing for rocks, not a tire designed to "Clean out". Maybe from my close minded dirtbike background, racing in loose dirt MX style tire, goating rocky accents, trials tire... I do believe in people running whatever they want! So more power to you.

FYI no need to "fabricate" anything, you can run old HPI RS4 3 sway bars and Losi Eight sway bar links (just what I had on hand) and im positive a multitude of other combo's....
Do you expect everyone to have such parts laying around?
Quote:
In an effort to not de rail the thread anymore, I'll gracefully bow out.

Good luck Smitty, no matter what you decide on you'll have a blast, you'll be making tweaks, and having fun. You can't make a bad decision
Does this mean that we won't be seeing the elusive sensored brushless climbing demo, or the 30+ mph Bomber?
DavidH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 03:00 PM   #65
Rock Crawler

The yeti sounds like the best rig for what your interested in doing. Adding a front sway bar and better shocks would be in order for your use. Look into beef tubes to strengthen the rear axle and upgrade the driveshaft to MIP. Balanced jumping is easy to do with a bit of throttle control(I know you don't plan to launch it much). If you were looking to heavily bash it I'd probably recommend you stay away from the yeti unless your wallet likes to thin out. Ive only broke a rear axle/bent shaft, bent plastic trailing arm, the crappy rtr servo/servo arm and a driveshaft all on 3S. I did a bunch of upgrades before I broke much but now my rig is a heavy pig. I do launch my rig 7-8' in the air because that's my driving style. The bomber is a cool option but I personally like the ifs of my yeti over the solid front axle on my bomber. The Rock Rey looks really nice too but there's very limited info out on it because it's so new.
shiftauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 04:59 PM   #66
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
No need to cut or vent .Your tires will soon go out of balance or the foams will collapse and fail.
No problems so far. Does this happen to you a lot?

A replacement pair of foams and tires are only US$16 if they do go bad.
Quote:
That must be why some manufacturers vent wheels
I dunno. I expect that most, like Axial, vent so as to make the tire behave more realistically when it would otherwise be bouncy or lack compliance. Happily, these tires are very compliant and about bouncy as a dead fish, even sealed. I am amazed at how they let the truck climb.
Quote:
I'm glad that 1:1 stuff works on your RC's !
So far so good. The nice thing about the switch to modding RC is that - beyond the costs - I don't have to listen to the wife grouse incessantly about the rough ride and huge spring rates, deep racing bucket seats (she is only 5' tall ), climbing in over 6-point roll cages, and the lack of mufflers on my project cars.
Old 01-25-2017, 05:25 PM   #67
I wanna be Dave

Default I'm at a crossroads...truck selection

I use the dense (closed)inner foams with the softer (open) and always spin my tires after sitting so the water is flung out. The difference I've seen with proper venting and proper foams is the proverbial night and day.
The reason to vent RC tires is quite simple, you can't air them down..... tires, wheels, and foams are a system that work if used properly.
I pay about 12.00 per pair of foams(CI DW) tires are 25 to 35 per pair, for ones I run. I rarely use stock foams anymore after learning

I offer advice from $$$ and experience and never offended if folks don't listen, as y'all spend YOUR money the way YOU want !

Hang up and Drive

Last edited by mikemcE; 01-25-2017 at 05:39 PM.
Old 01-25-2017, 05:36 PM   #68
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Indeed, one is nose-and top-heavy compared to the other, but I see no reason why they cannot be compared - I would want the one that performs better. Why do Rey owners get so evasive on this question?

MT tires? Actually, they are Rustler tires, and they are smaller than what comes on the Yeti rock racer . I picked them as they have an offset that tucks them under the score bodywork.

Do you expect everyone to have such parts laying around?

Does this mean that we won't be seeing the elusive sensored brushless climbing demo, or the 30+ mph Bomber?
Anything can be compared, even the Baja Rey, and a short course, however they are not alike... IFS solid locked rear end VS FIS with an open rear (with a recommended 7k diff fluid) could never handle alike... remember the S5 / Grand Cherokee? Now if it were an SRT8 maybe they would be very much alike.... So when you ask "what handles better?" It becomes a non direct answer. If you simply want to be right, the short course handles better on a track and in the street!(happy now?)

Proline's site seems to indicate that your wheels are for a stampede/ rustler (1/10 monster and stadium trucks)... Traxxas seems to think the stampede is a MT... So you could possibly have MT tires on your yeti. If you simply want to be right, you have stadium truck tires!!!

Elusive? only about a 100,000 people have sensored brushless systems that an "crawl" as well as go fast... Just seems you have never seen one. Hardly a unicorn bud. I'll post the video in the "video" section.

I'd agree loose the holes in the wheels, vent the tires and run a closed cell foam in a RC like the yeti. Like many others I've have had great success with Crawler Innovations Deuces Wild's, so he always gets my recommendation!
Lanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 06:19 PM   #69
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I use the dense (closed)inner foams with the softer (open) and always spin my tires after sitting so the water is flung out. The difference I've seen with proper venting and proper foams is the proverbial night and day.
The reason to vent RC tires is quite simple, you can't air them down..... tires, wheels, and foams are a system that work if used properly.
I pay about 12.00 per pair of foams(CI DW) tires are 25 to 35 per pair, for ones I run. I rarely use stock foams anymore after learning

I offer advice from $$$ and experience and never offended if folks don't listen, as y'all spend YOUR money the way YOU want !
I understand clearly how it works (as per the link to axial's site) - it seemed that it was you that implied that the venting somehow stopped the tires from going out of balance or the foams from collapsing and failing.

I experimented with black tape on the vents prior to sealing them up, and there was no appreciable difference in their performance. They are well balanced, stick like crazy, don't balloon out at 30 mph, and have that great offset you can't get with the 2.2 wheels. They'll do me for now.

And, I am not aware of any aftermarket foams made for this tire/wheel combination, and I am not about to make the effort to hack together foams from another set to fit these.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:45 PM   #70
I wanna be Dave

Default I'm at a crossroads...truck selection

Quote:
I understand clearly how it works (as per the link to axial's site) - it seemed that it was you that implied that the venting somehow stopped the tires from going out of balance or the foams from collapsing and failing.

I experimented with black tape on the vents prior to sealing them up, and there was no appreciable difference in their performance. They are well balanced, stick like crazy, don't balloon out at 30 mph, and have that great offset you can't get with the 2.2 wheels. They'll do me for now.

And, I am not aware of any aftermarket foams made for this tire/wheel combination, and I am not about to make the effort to hack together foams from another set to fit these.

Water in the tires left in over time destroys single cell foam, water trapped inside nonvented unbalances, that's all. Venting wheels only will trap water in
I'm also not aware of foams by CI now, but Eddie will make some to try.

If YOUR combination works on YOUR rig, that's what's it is all about , along with playing with little trucks !
I will add my 2.8 glued tires with factory foams look like pizza cutters when powered with 3s.... that's why I don't use them on the yeti.

Hang up and Drive

Last edited by mikemcE; 01-25-2017 at 06:49 PM.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:09 AM   #71
I wanna be Dave

I have 2.2 badlands with unkown foams because they came with the car. Also came with rtr tires on upgraded axial beadlock wheels with foams by...?

I recently ran it in snow and im sure the foams are soaked. Maybe i will try ci foams when these rot. Sucky thing is the badlands are glued to the stock rtr walker evans wheels. Not a fan of how they look, despite being 2.2 they look like tires from a quad or 4 wheeler. Not much sidewall. However they do grip like crazy and the accelleration is nice!
But i usually run the rtr tires because it looks better? Little more ground clearance and cusioning too.

Smitty i hope you decide on a rig soon! I think we have the same ideas for these and cant wait to see what you do!
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 11:28 AM   #72
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanky View Post
Anything can be compared, even the Baja Rey, and a short course, however they are not alike... IFS solid locked rear end VS FIS with an open rear (with a recommended 7k diff fluid) could never handle alike...
What is that difference? Given similar tires, gearing, electrics, etc, does the Baja Rey have any sort of performance advantage over the SCTE?
Quote:
remember the S5 / Grand Cherokee? Now if it were an SRT8 maybe they would be very much alike....
The Grand Cherokee is available as a convertible? I had no idea. Just wait until those Jeep owners realize the mistake they have made.

And, I doubt the s5 would fail the moose test.

Quote:
So when you ask "what handles better?" It becomes a non direct answer. If you simply want to be right, the short course handles better on a track and in the street!(happy now?)

Quote:
Proline's site seems to indicate that your wheels are for a stampede/ rustler (1/10 monster and stadium trucks)... Traxxas seems to think the stampede is a MT... So you could possibly have MT tires on your yeti. If you simply want to be right, you have stadium truck tires!!!
It's not so much about being right, but your use of the "MT" label in the pejorative, and as if the label matters. The Yeti rock racer comes with even bigger tires, if you have not noticed.
Quote:
Elusive? only about a 100,000 people have sensored brushless systems that an "crawl" as well as go fast... Just seems you have never seen one. Hardly a unicorn bud.
If they are posting clearly documented demonstrations and means of accomplishing this here or on youtube, feel free to point them out. The internet is awash with varying and often contradictory claims and opinion.
Quote:
I'll post the video in the "video" section.
Cool.
Quote:
I'd agree loose the holes in the wheels, vent the tires and run a closed cell foam in a RC like the yeti. Like many others I've have had great success with Crawler Innovations Deuces Wild's, so he always gets my recommendation!
He doesn't make them for my tires.

Last edited by DavidH; 01-26-2017 at 11:37 AM.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:08 PM   #73
I wanna be Dave

Yikes, my wife has a grand cherokee lol
I have an frs so no rollovers for me haha although, i drive the jeep when its more than just me going anywhere...

Been on the fence about getting that jeep yeti body from proline. Leaning more towards aluminum panels though.

So uh, smitty?
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 11:37 AM   #74

So I'll probably make some people mad or do a face palm, but once I came across Jang's Shapeshifter project I'm having a hard time looking into the Yeti anymore. Project: ShapeShifter - Stampede 4x4 conversions It's a Stampede 4x4 made into multiple different combinations. The ones that interest me the most are the Chimera B trail truck and Rustler 4x4/Truggy setup.
The Stampede or Slash into a "crawler" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f-XmaaMz8k This is similar to my idea of crawling, not hardcore, but something different than high speed bashing.

I can swap on longer arms and play with wheel offsets to give it a wider footprint for high speed bashing or go shorter arms and tall crawler tires with a "crawler" motor.

I can find Stampede 4x4's at least $100 cheaper than people are asking for their slash 4x4's with similar mods. Stampede is a shorter wheelbase with a HCG chassis decent for crawling setup.

Like many have said, the Yeti will take $$$ to beef it up where the stampede/slash is very durable. I needed to sell my slash to get some things pad off, if I didn't have to I may have just converted to HCG chassis and gone from there.

Once bonus checks come out, I may pick one up.
smitty2919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 11:00 PM   #75
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty2919 View Post
So I'll probably make some people mad or do a face palm, but once I came across Jang's Shapeshifter project I'm having a hard time looking into the Yeti anymore. Project: ShapeShifter - Stampede 4x4 conversions It's a Stampede 4x4 made into multiple different combinations. The ones that interest me the most are the Chimera B trail truck and Rustler 4x4/Truggy setup.
The Stampede or Slash into a "crawler" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f-XmaaMz8k This is similar to my idea of crawling, not hardcore, but something different than high speed bashing.

I can swap on longer arms and play with wheel offsets to give it a wider footprint for high speed bashing or go shorter arms and tall crawler tires with a "crawler" motor.

I can find Stampede 4x4's at least $100 cheaper than people are asking for their slash 4x4's with similar mods. Stampede is a shorter wheelbase with a HCG chassis decent for crawling setup.

Like many have said, the Yeti will take $$$ to beef it up where the stampede/slash is very durable. I needed to sell my slash to get some things pad off, if I didn't have to I may have just converted to HCG chassis and gone from there.

Once bonus checks come out, I may pick one up.
Having been on a similar path to this, I have few comments.

I agree that the slash platform should be more durable than the more complex Yeti. And what the Slash will give up to the Yeti on the rocks, it will give back with higher top speed.

A $100 savings at the start should not be enough to sway your decision in any particular direction, as that perceived savings will quickly disappear with repairs, upgrades, and the purchase of new tires, wheels, batteries, bodies, and various electronics.

While I admire Jang's ability to re-purpose the traxxas chassis, I don't want to wrench on the truck when switching between venues, beyond perhaps adjusting the spring perches.

But, put me down for a Traxxas Rally with an MX28 tire/wheel combo as my next vehicle, to complement my Yeti Score.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:26 PM   #76
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Water in the tires left in over time destroys single cell foam, water trapped inside nonvented unbalances, that's all. Venting wheels only will trap water in
I'm also not aware of foams by CI now, but Eddie will make some to try.

If YOUR combination works on YOUR rig, that's what's it is all about , along with playing with little trucks !
I will add my 2.8 glued tires with factory foams look like pizza cutters when powered with 3s.... that's why I don't use them on the yeti.

Hang up and Drive
On the weekend my son and I went out to our usual spot to hike with the trucks, lots of water, mud, and streams to cross. At the end of it, the yeti front tires ballooning a little bit from the accumulated water in them, but my son's Summit was like a clown car, with its tires so out of balance.

Back in my shop, I used a leather hole punch to add some holes to the yeti tires, and spun them with the truck on its stand on the floor, a bit of water came out.

I invited my son to the shop, where he enthusiastically punched the holes in the tires of his summit. He then tried to hold the truck on a block of wood with one hand as the truck bucked and wobbled and sprayed him with water.

I let him do that for a minute or so before telling him he would be much better off just driving it around on the driveway.

Oh, and I found out the proline makes closed cell foams for their 2.8" tires, so I am off to order me a set.
Old 05-04-2020, 06:45 PM   #77

Quote:
I own a few of both.......I would go slash 4x4, and upgrade with 1/8th power......
The yeti or score will cost lots more in the end....

My slash will out run and jump my Yeti.
My Yeti can crawl, not a thought with the slash

Hang up and Drive

Hi Mike, would the yeti Raptor body fit the slash 4x4? I want use for my slash monster truck with that body without the frames and interiors.

Many thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 04:39 AM   #78
I wanna be Dave

It might, I think it’s too narrow to cover tires though

Hang up and Drive
Old 05-05-2020, 04:45 AM   #79

I run 2.8 trencher. Will be good if it doesn’t. Wheelbase wise ok? Mind posting some shots with the Raptor sit over the slash?

gaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 06:36 AM   #80
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaba View Post
I run 2.8 trencher. Will be good if it doesn’t. Wheelbase wise ok? Mind posting some shots with the Raptor sit over the slash?

I’ll see what I can do, slash is buried deep, I run the trenchers also

Hang up and Drive

I'm at a crossroads...truck selection - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shock selection & locker selection 701scaler Axial SCX-10 1 02-24-2016 09:29 PM
Carnes Crossroads Satheddal South Carolina 7 03-22-2015 03:20 PM
Newbie at a crossroads Verewolf Newbie General 3 08-27-2014 10:54 PM
Crawling in Carbes crossroads. Satheddal South Carolina 2 06-14-2014 08:47 AM
Carnes crossroads Arock87 South Carolina 8 03-30-2014 08:32 PM