Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: I'm at a crossroads...truck selection

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2017, 09:10 AM   #1

Default I'm at a crossroads...truck selection

I'm not sure where to ask this, but the Yeti section seemed best due to the truck I'm asking about. Little history...I got back into RC's after YEARS away with a Yeti XL kit version bought used. It was a blast in my back yard but I cringed every time I would jump it more than 5 ft. Ran a CC SW 8th motor/esc on 4S and it would MOVE for a big truck. Torque steer sucked and was annoying how it would turn better one way than the other.

Sold that off and picked up a Slash 4x4 Ultimate LCG version. Liked the ability to run one battery, parts are cheaper and easier to get, truck would take a beating and I didn't worry if it would break. It was stock electronics on 4S and it seemed just as fast as the XL which is what I liked. Downside was the LCG, even after I did a Proline Protrac kit with 2.8 Desperado wheels with Trenchers...on normal length grass it would drag all over the place. JUST sold that to pay off some things since it was sitting in the basement.

Now...I realized (after the fact) I could have converted to a HCG chassis and MAYBE solved all my problems? Maybe not.

Then I looked into the Yeti, Yeti Score TT/ Vaterra Twin Hammers. Yes I realize they are all SRA/IFS setups and torque steer could be an issue. But the videos I have seen on these smaller trucks don't seem to have that as bad.

These are the trucks I'm looking into:
Yeti
Run on 2S
Run 2.8 style MT wheels for a basher/jumper style (more stable around turns?)
Make it as fast as a stock Slash 4x4 on 2S (asking for trouble?)
Huge aftermarket support

Yeti Score
Same as Yeti requirements but structurally not sure the difference other than the body?
Huge aftermarket support
Slightly larger footprint than Slash 4x4?

Vaterra Twin Hammers
Again same build with MT wheels
How is the aftermarket?
Front cantilever suspension seems "cool" but seems to limit the mods/upgrades. I see there is a aluminum bulkhead/shock hoop conversion you can do though.

Slash 4x4 HCG
Protrac kit
MT wheels
stock electronics on 2s

Arrma Kraton
I know I know WAY different than the above, but about the same price as above trucks.
Makes a great basher, mods/aftermarket seems plentiful
Is fast on 4S (downside running 2 batteries)
Buy and drive, 1/8 scale allows ground clearance for yard bashing.

I read old posts about Yeti RTR vs Kit and how "robust/durable" they are...or are not. I'm not one to fully upgrade ( have a 95 camaro I autocross for that), I just like things to not break every time I run it, and I do bash mindfully.

Thanks for any suggestions/opinions! (sorry for long post). These things aren't quite cheap at ~$400 so I won't be owning multiple trucks. I like to have one that can do 90% of what I want lol.
smitty2919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2017, 10:39 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I own a few of both.......I would go slash 4x4, and upgrade with 1/8th power......
The yeti or score will cost lots more in the end....

My slash will out run and jump my Yeti.
My Yeti can crawl, not a thought with the slash

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 10:43 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: I'm at a crossroads...truck selection

I help run the WARCRC U4RC series and I tell people to buy the Bomber...great truck.
justinart24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 11:47 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I have a hopped up Yeti and the Kraton.
For turn key bashing I go with the Kraton hands down.
Have it for 6 months no issues worth mentioning, despite many cartwheels, landing on the roof or wing even a collision with a steel post. A pillow ball popped of, just mounted it back and it's ready for more. Stupid fast on 6s.
Keep in mind that the rougher the terrain gets the better off you are with a yeti on capability to progress.

My friend has a Yeti XL and we drive together sometimes.
Kraton is a rally car in its handling vs the Yeti xl that is more like a ford raptor.

Hope this helps

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
OvrKll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 12:33 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

When I wanted to get back into RC last year, I initially looked at the Slash (or Rally), with the intent of putting the MX28 tires and wheels on it.

However, when I looked at the places we had to run the trucks, there was less open space, and more rocks and trails, so I ended up with a Yeti RTR with the 2-speed and MX28 Badlands on it. It crawls better than I expected, and does 30+ mph on the flats. I have had no mechanical failures and run only on 3s (2s is a bit zzzzzz)

However, it is nose- and top-heavy, jumps poorly, and with the Badlands tires, traction rolling is never far away.

4wd buggies like the Slash and Arrma stunt trucks will jump far better and out run it and out corner it on the flats - but that sounds more like what you want.
DavidH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 01:01 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

People keep saying the Slash 4x4 is more durable than the Yeti and they're are probably right but mine was a money pit and ended up being broken more than it was running. It ended up not doing what I wanted.after tons of upgrades. My Yeti is kind of it's replacement.
Rumpelhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 01:52 PM   #7

I'm not against "crawling" but it's not my go-to thing. I have 1/2 acre of all mowed back yard with 2 dogs. So MOST of the time it will be zipping around the back yard and terrorize the dogs with it. The jumping I have done was putting ply-wood on the top of my fire pit (stacked paving stones 3 high which is about 2ft if that) and launching the truck. I can get maybe 5 ft of air again landing on grass.

The XL doing these jumps made me cringe if it landed anyway except on all 4 wheels. The Slash I did not worry one bit....took tumbles A LOT worse than the XL and never broke...but again it's a lot less weight too.

Last edited by smitty2919; 01-20-2017 at 06:35 AM.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
I own a few of both.......I would go slash 4x4, and upgrade with 1/8th power......
The yeti or score will cost lots more in the end....
Slash 4x4 with 1/8th power seems like a sure way to destroy diffs and drivetrain LOL But I do like your idea! I'm not against that either. I didn't want to turn the truck into something that needs to be torn down for inspection of the diffs every time I run it on 2S with 1/8th power fearing I roasted something lol.

Last edited by smitty2919; 01-19-2017 at 02:33 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:46 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

XO1 diffs will run 4s and are drop in, mip drive shafts and a big clutch.

I don't break, just fly MM2/ CC2650

Hang up and Drive
Old 01-19-2017, 03:18 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

1/8th power is the way to go, doesn't matter if is Yeti or Slash. Some upgrades are needed, others can wait (My slash 4x4 have MIPs and Tekno driveshafts, but still with stock diffs, Yeti have MIP rear and Incision front VDI)

Twin hammers is way smaller than the other trucks in your list.

Armma may be your best bet if you just want to bash and go fast on grass.
DenisLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 04:11 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

A note, I run MIP and tekno big bone on the slash, I have to run titanium on my yeti, I've never broken any MIP shaft

Hang up and Drive
Old 01-19-2017, 04:36 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Add a Losi Baja Rey and Rock Rey to your list....

I love my yeti, and have tons of fun with it, but don't know many people I would suggest to buy one. Steering angle sucks, so you better get real good at throttle steering it. To get the most out of it you will be messing with the suspension/ sway bar, and front diff fluid a bunch to get it where it needs to be. I've also noticed the more you overpower it, the more fun you will have.
Lanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 06:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
XO1 diffs will run 4s and are drop in, mip drive shafts and a big clutch.

I don't break, just fly MM2/ CC2650

Hang up and Drive
Ahh good point on the XO1 diffs. How much you have in the slash for diffs and MIP axles? I would be looking for a used truck and upgrade accordingly. Somewhat keeping an eye out for a used HCG slash 4x4, but most I see are LCG. I can convert, but one less thing I need to do lol.

Is that truck a HCG or LCG? I feel I'd need the HCG in order to get more clearance. How much ground clearance do you have?

The LCG even with the 2.8 desperados and trenchers was too low. I realize the front/rear bulkheads will be the same height since it is the size of the wheels only that will gain more clearance in that area...

Honestly the stock traxxas electronics (yea I said it! lol) were OK to me...it was fast enough on 2S, but more speed is never bad LOL I think the ESC was going out though. It would get across the yard, but felt it struggled too much.

The Yeti seems to have less "belly pan" to create drag....but it doesn't seem too many people make it into a basher/MT wheels. I have typically seen larger diameter rock racer style wheels (tall but narrow).

The Bomber seems cool too, but seems more top heavy/bad handing than the Yeti or TH. It is 15mm longer wheelbase but 32mm narrower than a Yeti. Now if you could widen the Bomber to match the Yeti....lol
Old 01-19-2017, 06:42 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

yes you can widen the bomber. mine is same width as the yeti...
there's plenty or parts to make any truck perform nicely in almost any situation. It's just a matter if you want to spent the time and money to do it.
Just make sure you start with the platform that is good in your objective. (don't get a slash to crawl or a bomber to go 60mph...)
DenisLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 06:43 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

LGC, I have 120 in mip axles, XO1 diffs from Jennys RC , about 20 each plus fluid.
I upgraded everything, once I got my clutch sorted out, this rig is bulletproof on 3s.
I run on limerock or dirt, pavement I prefer to run primes instead of the trenchers. With the trenchers ballooning, I have few clearance issues
I am also running the HR 17mm conversions

Hang up and Drive

Last edited by mikemcE; 01-19-2017 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:45 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

I changed the hcg chassis on mine to a lcg. With the high center of gravity chassis my Slash spent almost as much time on its roof as on its wheels. The lcg chassis all but eliminated that problem.

Last edited by Rumpelhardt; 01-19-2017 at 10:40 PM.
Rumpelhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 06:50 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenisLM View Post
yes you can widen the bomber. mine is same width as the yeti...
there's plenty or parts to make any truck perform nicely in almost any situation. It's just a matter if you want to spent the time and money to do it.
Just make sure you start with the platform that is good in your objective. (don't get a slash to crawl or a bomber to go 60mph...)
You got my attention with the widening ability...and if I can toss on some tires that mikemCE is running on his slash LOL.

What if I want half assed crawling ability and 40mph that DOESN'T flip over every mild speed turn LOL. Or am I asking too much?
Old 01-19-2017, 06:57 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidH View Post
When I wanted to get back into RC last year, I initially looked at the Slash (or Rally), with the intent of putting the MX28 tires and wheels on it.

However, when I looked at the places we had to run the trucks, there was less open space, and more rocks and trails, so I ended up with a Yeti RTR with the 2-speed and MX28 Badlands on it. It crawls better than I expected, and does 30+ mph on the flats. I have had no mechanical failures and run only on 3s (2s is a bit zzzzzz)
I would agree....

2S
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_QoOEq40143S
3S
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh3KJwePO1U
Old 01-19-2017, 07:18 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty2919 View Post
You got my attention with the widening ability...and if I can toss on some tires that mikemCE is running on his slash LOL.

What if I want half assed crawling ability and 40mph that DOESN'T flip over every mild speed turn LOL. Or am I asking too much?

My 2.8 Trenchers are on 17mm proline wheels, no premounts for 17mm , just the 12.
My slash power wheelies at 40, and sticks like glue, I'm running the stock GTRS with losi black springs.

To half assed crawl and go 40 a yeti will get you there. Open the wallet wide, it takes a lot of upgrades and then hours of tuning..... I run the two speed set up in low for sorta crawling and run the high gear and can go 40, but I will have to adjust sway bar and shocks to keep it planted.

It wants to go 8 to 12 on hard loose rock and once tuned it does work well.
But it was an expensive journey
I like to bring both, and run them in the same stuff...... some great some suck.

Hang up and Drive
Old 01-19-2017, 07:43 PM   #20

What is it about the yeti that gets so pricey to get it durable/bashable/quick? Seeing the speed ability of the Yeti on 3s would be OK with me...but is the driveline being ripped apart at 3s?

I'm fine with upgrading spur gears to metal etc but if driveshafts are constantly breaking and if diffs are blowing out due to larger wheels/loads then down the rabbit hole you go LOL.

I'm at a crossroads...truck selection - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shock selection & locker selection 701scaler Axial SCX-10 1 02-24-2016 09:29 PM
Carnes Crossroads Satheddal South Carolina 7 03-22-2015 03:20 PM
Newbie at a crossroads Verewolf Newbie General 3 08-27-2014 10:54 PM
Crawling in Carbes crossroads. Satheddal South Carolina 2 06-14-2014 08:47 AM
Carnes crossroads Arock87 South Carolina 8 03-30-2014 08:32 PM