Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: A Yeti Jr Experience

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2017, 06:51 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default A Yeti Jr Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by odomandr View Post
Got a TT today from my lhs. First impressions are that the electronics are insufficient. The battery and charger were red for nearly 4 hours before I unplugged it to run it. Manual said 2-3 hours so that was of concern. The servo is weak, the motor seems sufficient enough for me as my scx10 is a slow crawl. The TX needs some time setting the trim and reverse does not seem to want to work and instead glitches. I bought a servo anticipating this and will move ahead on a rx and esc next. I still think it looks sweet and will keep an eye out for some of the RR wheels and tires. Some improvements out of the box seems easy enough for axial. If I can't figure out the reverse I'll join the masses and make a phone call
So I figured I'd start a thread about my TT Yeti Jr. I have to assume that based on the arrival to my lhs last week and my purchase of the rtr in April that mine is not from the original release in late 2016.

As we know the electronics do not cut it in most rtr axial vehicles. This one is worse than most it seems based off what I have read. I'm also pretty easy going and dontt have high expectations beyond functioning. However all but the motor seem to have some issue upon arrival. I bought a hitec 5245mg but an esc and receiver are necessity too it seems. My lhs had a mamba micro and Ill grab another spektrum for my dx4c. I will probably grab a lipo too to really get the most of the stock motor. Overall I still really like this little truck. The setbacks are minor and easy enough to remedy I hope the rest of it can manage with a proper setup.

Can we get a subforum dedicated now that they released more beyond the initial allotment?
odomandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2017, 07:35 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: A Yeti Jr Experience

With the current lack of support and the 'buzz' gone, people don't think these will survive long enough to warrant a subforum.

A sticky-subforum in the 1:10 Yeti forum would suffice for myself. Just something to consolidate that dozen or so threads.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:20 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Yup, Axial had a good idea but missed the mark by cutting too many corners. The only way these will have lasting success is if the aftermarket embraces them. Axial has obviously turned their back on them. I just found out today that after 3 of the 5 units sold at my LHS failed out of the box, the last two were removed from the shelf and all 5 will be returning to Axial. The LHS owner was skeptical that all of these trucks were somehow malfunctioning so quickly so he opened up a brand new one and tried to give it a rip to see for himself. It made half a lap around the store before losing steering control. He ran it back and forth a couple more times before the ESC started buzzing then died. I just laughed when he looked at me and said, "Well, I guess these things are garbage!" He's canceling his order for the next 5 too. It's good that he saw for himself after taking care of his customers like a good business owner should.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 05:28 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

My LHS never got any. I don't know if he knew or just because. He's a finicky guy.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by odomandr View Post
So I figured I'd start a thread about my TT Yeti Jr. I have to assume that based on the arrival to my lhs last week and my purchase of the rtr in April that mine is not from the original release in late 2016.

As we know the electronics do not cut it in most rtr axial vehicles. This one is worse than most it seems based off what I have read. I'm also pretty easy going and dontt have high expectations beyond functioning. However all but the motor seem to have some issue upon arrival. I bought a hitec 5245mg but an esc and receiver are necessity too it seems. My lhs had a mamba micro and Ill grab another spektrum for my dx4c. I will probably grab a lipo too to really get the most of the stock motor. Overall I still really like this little truck. The setbacks are minor and easy enough to remedy I hope the rest of it can manage with a proper setup.

Can we get a subforum dedicated now that they released more beyond the initial allotment?
All things seem to indicate they won't be around long. They don't seem to deserve their own sub forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
Yup, Axial had a good idea but missed the mark by cutting too many corners. The only way these will have lasting success is if the aftermarket embraces them. Axial has obviously turned their back on them. I just found out today that after 3 of the 5 units sold at my LHS failed out of the box, the last two were removed from the shelf and all 5 will be returning to Axial. The LHS owner was skeptical that all of these trucks were somehow malfunctioning so quickly so he opened up a brand new one and tried to give it a rip to see for himself. It made half a lap around the store before losing steering control. He ran it back and forth a couple more times before the ESC started buzzing then died. I just laughed when he looked at me and said, "Well, I guess these things are garbage!" He's canceling his order for the next 5 too. It's good that he saw for himself after taking care of his customers like a good business owner should.
Man, what happened to the Axial that blew our minds with the original SCX10? I know they existed way before that, but that's when myself and a lot of others started caring about them. I guess it all went downhill when they were bought by HobbiCo.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:21 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Yeah, the electronics are beyond garbage. The stock servo could barely turn the wheels, the ESC/receiver unit has a high probability of early death, and the radio is the clunkiest, most uncomfortable one I have ever used. The stock motor is good on a 2S voltage though, I haven't changed that out yet.

It really is a shame that the electronics are so bad because it really is fun to drive once some good electronics are installed. A rolling chassis version would be perfect.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 03:15 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

So I had the electronics completely go out before the 10 day warranty, I contacted axial and less than a week later new stuff was in my mailbox. I explained I didn't want them replaced but wanted to report another one dying in hopes they change something or find the fix to make this stuff reliable. I knew when I bought this truck I would need to upgrade electronics so I didn't expect a lot, but Axial has done well to right the issue so promptly. Says a lot that they didn't tell me I was SOL.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:19 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Instead of installing the replacement stuff, I went for the upgrades. Started with a sidewinder micro esc and a Hitec HS5245 MG. Add to that a spektrum sr210 and the factory 40t. Powered by 2s. This little guy screams at a very fun manageable pace
Old 06-12-2018, 04:55 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Well after playing for a while with the rock racer wheels and tires on the score truck, I began to smell a bit of something getting too hot. It still runs but the 15t pinion needs to be replaced with a 10t from the rock racer as well. may be time to put a castle motor in it too. I will see what comes of my visit to the lhs tomorrow.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:53 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

FYI, castle micro x with 4100kv, 10t pinion and 3s is absolutely fun as shit but total over kill, lol. I run 70% punch and its still ridiculous. And you will destroy parts. Like the front end. I got everything upgraded drivetrain wise to handle it but the front diff is stock and problematic. So if you go this route, stick to 2s. LOL.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 11:27 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

after reassessing that truck I think I will try to keep running it on the stock motor its still super quick especially compared to my honchos. My initial hesitation was breaking things on it with too much giddy up
Old 06-17-2018, 02:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post
FYI, castle micro x with 4100kv, 10t pinion and 3s is absolutely fun as shit but total over kill, lol. I run 70% punch and its still ridiculous. And you will destroy parts. Like the front end. I got everything upgraded drivetrain wise to handle it but the front diff is stock and problematic. So if you go this route, stick to 2s. LOL.
I'd love to hear about your runtimes and temps in this scenario.

I haven't found a motor I can't raise above 150 in less than 10 minutes, all using a 12T pinion. I have not tried a neu motor yet, but I'm still researching.

I wish there were more options for the transmission. The lack of spur customization leaves a lot to be desired.

If you put anything aluminium into the stearing, expect to need a much better servo. I optted for the 3d printed battery tray, previously sold on ebay. It allows for a full size servo to be installed, overpowered but awesome.

I enjoy this car and I've bashed a good amount, but maybe not hard enough since I haven't broke anything yet; just gets dirty and rolls a lot. Obviously not the cars fault, still hard to lower the center of gravity. Currently looking into a good dust cover and roll cage.
dEuuCe is offline   Reply With Quote

A Yeti Jr Experience - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any Experience with SK-1 FourDogs General Scale Talk 0 07-15-2016 09:36 PM
A Newbies Experience with the Yeti XL Kit gotcorey Axial Yeti XL 9 03-20-2015 07:29 PM
My Yeti XL experience Sneetches Axial Yeti XL 14 12-09-2014 02:18 PM
Does anyone have any experience with.... kaetwo General Scale Talk 4 07-16-2008 11:05 AM