Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Yeti Jr. and Spektrum Servo Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2017, 11:45 AM   #1

Default Yeti Jr. and Spektrum Servo Help

My local hobby store sold me a Spektrum SPMSH3050 Sub-Micro Digital Cyclic 12g Metal Gear Servo as a replacement for the stock Yeti Jr. servo.

When I plug this servo in and connect the battery the electronics make a beeping sound and the servo acts erratically never fully stopping movement and/or sound. If I leave it all connected long enough the ESC finally just shuts itself off.

Explanation from Axial is "Spektrum servos sometimes do not play nicely with our electronics".

Any help to make this servo work would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

PS - Great site. I've learned a lot over the past couple years reading. I also have a 1/10 scale Yeti.

Last edited by rivermh; 04-24-2017 at 11:58 AM.
rivermh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2017, 12:02 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Yeti Jr. and Spektrum Servo Help

The stock electronics are not worth keeping in there because they will fail sooner or even sooner. The only thing worth keeping is the stock motor. Get yourself a better receiver and ESC and enjoy the truck instead of trying to make things work with the awful stock receiver/ESC combo. They are not worth nursing along for another half pack until they die anyway.

Classy move how your Axial rep told you it was the servos fault. Hey Axial, your electronics don't play nicely with your battery, other batteries, or your own electronics! Your electronics don't play nicely with the customer that paid for them. Your electronics don't play period!!!

Rivermh, you need to return that servo and get something with at least 50oz/in of torque. Your local hobby guy sold you a servo that's weaker than stock. Pickup a Hitec 5085 for the same price.

Last edited by SCREAMER; 04-24-2017 at 12:10 PM.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 12:08 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Lol. Sadly, SCREAMER is correct.
Brake Weight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 12:21 PM   #4

Screamer, thank you for the information and advice. I'm learning as I go here.

It seems the best move would be to order the Hitec 5085 servo and go ahead and buy a new radio, receiver/esc.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:27 PM   #5

I suggest you to do what screamer writes. Keep the motor and swap esc and servo. Then enjoy the ride!

Sent fra min HTC One_M8 via Tapatalk
redeyechris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 01:40 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

You may be able to get a cheap Tactic pull off receiver from one of the new Axial products. HobbyWing makes good brushed ESCs that aren't very expensive.

How deep your pockets are for this venture will determine it.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:05 PM   #7

Thank you for the continued responses.

I don't really want to spend a lot on this Yeti Jr. With that said, I am NOT a buy cheap, buy twice person so cost is what it is but I do not need the best. As a point of reference, my 7 and 4 year olds end up driving the 1/10 Yeti and Yeti Jr. the most.

So it sounds like I can use the existing transmitter that came with the kit and I just need to get the Hitec servo (also read Savox make a good one that fits nicely). After that I buy a new ESC and receiver. Does the upgraded ESC come as a single unit with a receiver or do I now have two separate pieces to get mounted in the truck? If I need to replace the transmitter as well just let me know. The one that came with it does seems to be on the cheaper side.

Thanks again for the advice.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:53 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I have one of these and it's a good replacement. It doesn't have a drag brake but is 3s capable and has a small foot print.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/191438925774

You'll still need a Tx/Rx.
Old 04-29-2017, 06:36 AM   #9

My update is I got a good deal on a Hitec HS-82 MG servo. I know I need to replace the ESC and receiver but thought I'd let the kids play with the truck for a bit since I had the servo in hand. My issue is when I plug the servo in to the ESC/Rx it shuts the ESC/Rx down after one steering turn on the transmitter (red light on ESC/Rx shuts off and as if no power to truck). Likely I'm just ignorant on how to do this and am doing something wrong. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you in advance
Old 05-02-2017, 10:49 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivermh View Post
I know I need to replace the ESC and receiver
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 06:25 AM   #11

Thats what I figured, Screamer.

So looks like the Hobbywing ESC is the way to go. I have taught the kids to use the drag break to keep from hitting trees, house, etc. so I need to get one that has that feature.

What receiver would you guys recommend? And, will my existing transmitter work with this new receiver or do I need to buy a new transmitter?

Yeti Jr. and Spektrum Servo Help - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yeti XL with Spektrum AVC Gso125 Axial Yeti XL 10 12-16-2014 08:51 PM
Stock RTR servo or Spektrum Servo? RickM Axial AX-10 Scorpion 6 02-18-2010 01:01 PM