Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Yeti Front Shocks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2017, 07:37 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Yeti Front Shocks

Hey, guys. Just got my Yeti kit built a few days ago and noticed the front sags a lot. It makes it hard to drive cause it flips during turns and bottoms out on the smallest of bumps. What are my options for a stiffer spring that'll increase the height? I have the yellow in front.
Ryanf58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2017, 08:07 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Yeti Front Shocks

Crawler Innovation foams will help you a whole lot from flipping on turns. I also switched to Losi shocks to lift my front end. It worked out great on both counts.

mtr1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 08:22 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

This is what I have for the Axial Yeti spring rate chart; try the AX30230 springs.

Front (14mm x 54mm):
AX30226 - 2.64 lbs/in (red) Super Soft
AX30227 - 3.40 lbs/in (white)
AX30228 - 3.85 lbs/in (green)
AX31298 - 4.33 lbs/in (yellow) RR/TT FRONT STOCK
AX30230 - 4.95 lbs/in (blue) Super Firm
Rear (14mm x 90mm):
AX31153 - 0.90 lbs/in (black)
AX31154 - 1.01 lbs/in (purple)
AX31155 - 1.14 lbs/in (orange) RR Rear Stock
AX30213 - 1.32 lbs/in (red)
AX30214 - 1.71 lbs/in (white)
AX31297 - 2.25 lbs/in (blue springs with green) RTR/Kit TT Rear Stock
AX30215 - 2.25 lbs/in (green)
AX30216 - 2.78 lbs/in (yellow)*Kit only TT Rear Included
AX30217 - 3.01 lbs/in (blue)

Also, use the shock mounting holes that are further out from the chassis.
DavidH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:31 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Just found the Vanquish Shock Adjuster. Are those any good? Or would the blue springs probably set me up right?

Last edited by Ryanf58; 05-24-2017 at 09:36 PM.
Ryanf58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 10:13 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanf58 View Post
Just found the Vanquish Shock Adjuster. Are those any good? Or would the blue springs probably set me up right?
Hard to say. I have heard that it may not fit under the rock racer cage.

The vanquish part will move the shock out, effectively increasing the rate of the spring and viscosity of the oil. this could be good for you.

It also moves the shock down, so that the shock bottoms out earlier (before the chassis). This fixes one problem with another, and may not directly address the change to the spring rate you really need for how you drive your yeti, how heavy it is, etc.

You can also slightly raise the yeti by installing some RC4WD Z-S0403 end-links in place of the factory ends, and this will address the bottoming (on the chassis) problem for just a few $. they can be trimmed down if they lift it too much for your taste.

Oil weight (and shock piston selection) then depends on similar factors (weight, driving style, personal preference). Be prepared to experiment. What works in a heavy truck will make a lighter truck ride like a shopping cart.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:47 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Just use the axial blue 70mm spring for the Front shock. Plus 700cst oil and CI Duece Wild Standard foams.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5 mit Tapatalk
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 06:11 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_yeti View Post
Just use the axial blue 70mm spring for the Front shock. Plus 700cst oil and CI Duece Wild Standard foams.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5 mit Tapatalk
ding, ding, dingWhat magic yeti said.

For me, I am using the 70mm AX30221 - 3.27 lbs/in (yellow) springs. The 3.55 lbs/in (blue) springs surely would be too stiff for the bone level setup that I use on a mostly stock Yeti. The shock spring collars are only a couple mm from the top of shock using the yellow springs. 45wt (Associated) shock oil with 1.2 pistons.

Rear springs were also way too soft for the type of running that I do. With a spare tire strapped on the back of the Yeti, I was using 2.25 lbs/in (green) springs. Without the spare tire, I'm running the AX30214 - 1.71 lbs/in (white) springs to level out the chassis with lots of room for adjustment of the collars. 35wt (Associated) shock oil with 1.2 pistons.

My flyig pig (Yeti) jumps pretty darn good now .
RustyUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 07:47 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

What Losi shocks are they?

My front isn't A1 but it's better than the rear.

I'm having most issues with the rear of the Yeti. It either handles good with plenty of spring preload and flips forward on every single jump or it is far too floppy in the back and only flips on every second jump.

I've been wondering if Rock Rey rear springs fit as they seem to be far better shocks and match the RR great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtr1514 View Post
Crawler Innovation foams will help you a whole lot from flipping on turns. I also switched to Losi shocks to lift my front end. It worked out great on both counts.

CoolRunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 01:34 AM   #9
RCC Addict

The rear is another story regarding setup.

It's depending much more on the terrain and weight.
I came out with an dual spring setup (with 54mm spring from Hot Racing) with 500 cst.

Working perfect on my running ground. Just switched back to the stock from my proline XT.
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 06:43 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I am using the Axial superstiff (4.95) springs and stock front shocks with 35wt. oil in my Yeti Score.

They settle the front down alittle bit, give you slightly better ride height control and slightly better handling characteristics.

But that's my experience with it, its NOT going to keep it from bottoming out without some super thick fluid in there or some other mods.

I have the Proline powerstroke shocks in the back and those are just great. I feel like with the right preload adjustment and oil weight you would be able to make the rear end behave however you like with those.
Mountainsofbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 12:02 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolRunning View Post

I'm having most issues with the rear of the Yeti. It either handles good with plenty of spring preload and flips forward on every single jump or it is far too floppy in the back and only flips on every second jump.

I've been wondering if Rock Rey rear springs fit as they seem to be far better shocks and match the RR great.
Did you try adjusting the amount of anti-squat?

How To: Tune with Anti-Squat

Anti squat

Old 05-28-2017, 11:03 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolRunning View Post

I used the Losi 8ight front shocks for the front and the Associated RC8 shocks for the rear. They are bigger than the stock shocks and fit. Gave me the add support I was looking for. I tried the blue spring for the front but the way I drive, and I do a lot of jumps, I needed more. My rig is plush now.
mtr1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 01:27 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Im running proline xt yeti shocks all around.
45 wt oil front, 15 out back.
I dont really jump it much, mostly aggressive high speed driving over rugged terrain and some crawling.
Arriculates perfectly right now but the front has a bit of sag. Need next higher spring rate as the fronts only came with one pair of springs with no option of going more firm unless you buy extra. Oddly enough, the rear included an extra set of springs.
The helper coils on top are useless, and really just there to keep tension when the shock extends fully on jumps.

I plan on stiffer springs up front, and maybe upping to 55 or 60 wt
Rear just needs maybe 25wt as its pretty dialed, happy with the rear.

I tried adjusting the fronts higher with the shock perch, but it just popped the dogbones out and made them into deadly c hub and knuckle destroyers of death. Like a blender set for plastic.
I have alum ssd knuckles but i fear what would happen if i had those on when this happens.
Need to get this sorted before i try blending a nice set of ssd equipment. Or before the nice ssd stuff destroys my dogbones.
Sure, a nice set of vanquish cvd would fix 90% of the issue, but... $$$$

So far, so good. Just need to stiffen up with springs up front to remove some sag.
Hold fast boys...
Fathers day is coming... ;)
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote

Yeti Front Shocks - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yeti front locker Pfeifer426 Axial Yeti 4 01-12-2017 04:08 PM
Will yeti XL shocks fit 1:10 yeti rear? Yeti guy Axial Yeti 5 11-17-2016 05:10 PM
BEST front links for yeti le varan Axial Yeti 24 04-25-2015 07:52 PM