Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Steering links

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2017, 02:43 AM   #1
dav

Default Steering links

Gday guys,

Went for a run today & half way through the session the steering link arm popped off, so i put it back on but it kept coming off. I noticed you can just pop it off quite easily when the car is sitting on the ground. So do you think the plastic arm joint has worn away a bit or the ball joint? It happens on both sides, left & right sides. Iam going to replace the front end of the yeti (knuckles, links etc..) soon, iam just working on the rear end at the moment. BTW the yeti is 2 weeks old.

Last edited by dav; 06-30-2017 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Useless photobucket, changed pic hosting site
dav is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2017, 02:53 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Steering links

A bit of both? Stick a washer under the screw and over the link end until you get to replace the links.
Ninomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 03:06 AM   #3
dav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninomaniac View Post
A bit of both? Stick a washer under the screw and over the link end until you get to replace the links.
Cheers mate thanks for the reply.

Was going to try that till i buy the new links, but i was wondering why it happened? like, what caused it to happened & why both sides at the same time.
Old 06-26-2017, 04:25 AM   #4
dav

Just came across new ball joints 'eyelets' in the extra parts packets that came with the Yeti & what do you know it was those that were the problem. Replaced both sides & the steering link 'clicked' into the eyelet. Might have look into getting metal eyelets all round if these two only lasted six sessions of light to medium runs.

Cheers.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:15 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dav View Post
Gday guys,

Went for a run today & half way through the session the steering link arm popped off, so i put it back on but it kept coming off. I noticed you can just pop it off quite easily when the car is sitting on the ground. So do you think the plastic arm joint has worn away a bit or the ball joint? It happens on both sides, left & right sides. Iam going to replace the front end of the yeti (knuckles, links etc..) soon, iam just working on the rear end at the moment. BTW the yeti is 2 weeks old.

Hard to tell from the picture, but if you remove the pivot ball from the knuckle (or any of the other pivot balls, from other links) you will see that they are asymmetrical; if you install it with the wide "base" on the outside of the link, it will help hold the link on.

Last edited by DavidH; 06-26-2017 at 11:19 AM.
DavidH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 03:21 AM   #6
RCC Addict

After i killed my kit steering links (alu version) i replaced them with traxxas links and revo rod ends, never had an issue again.

magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote