Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Yeti suspension

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2017, 06:30 PM   #1

Default Yeti suspension

What is a good suspension set up for the stock shocks, pistons?,what weight oil? Or should I go with a aftermarket set of shocks. Pro line? Or 1/8 scale shocks? I'm not doing much crawling just running around the yard chasing the dog
RcHydronut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2017, 01:51 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Yeti suspension

This is what I am running now:

Axial stock RTR shock bodies all around.

Axial AX30222 Spring 14x70mm 3.55 lbs/in - Blue in the front.
Axial AX30214 Spring 14x90mm 1.71 lbs/in - White in the rear.

The three hole pistons #3 from the Axial AX80033 Shock Parts Tree all around.

Oil wt 20 in the front shocks.
Oil wt 10 in the rear shocks.

In my experience, this setup works very well on trails. Bumpy ones. At least, I like the Yeti "floating" forward while the wheels wobble away those bumps and holes.

The stiffer the springs and thicker the respective oil, the bouncier a car becomes. And with every vertical movement, the forward speed is reduced. Common thing.

With this setup, mainly the wheels go up and down, so that the car maintains a large portion of it's forward speed. And it just looks better and that's what we do it for as well.

Only downside of a soft setup is that the shocks bottom out easier, especially touching down after jumps. But with the Yeti this is about the same moment as when the chassis hits the ground. So not that bad.

Just try it and find out. Anyway no 4.95 lbs/in and 80 wt or double shock setup for me.

Yvo
Phaeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 03:57 PM   #3
RCC Addict

My current go fast setup front 700cst (think. approx 60wt) and the blue 70mm axial spring. Also good setup for trail crawling.
front diff right now has 1mio cst

i use the spring connectors out of the spare parts for double spring setup for the rear. which i use with the white and red ones out of the front spring set hr racing is offering (optional Front 14*54mm specs are 2.64 3.4 3.8 4.95 lbs/in). put the 500 ( think app. 40wt) cst in. Perfect for the surface i go fast (open gras with nasty little bumps and hidden holes). For trail crawling i have to test more to see if it's improves with an other setup.
my experience is that's the rear setup depends on weight, surface and driving style.

Best handling improvement for a yeti is using ci duece wild standard foams. day and night to the axial foams.
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 01:18 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_yeti View Post
Stiffen up parts will cause other parts to break ;)
Old 08-04-2017, 04:01 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Old 08-07-2017, 03:54 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Again, I don't exactly know what Axial was thinking when they decided 10wt shock oil was okay for normal everyday "rock racing". I built the kit with what was included. It didn't take long (3 minutes or so) to notice the Yeti was severely under dampened. Donkey kickin' the rear end on every bump/jump makes for wacky driving no matter how much reserved throttle you have to try and correct it in flight. I spent many weeks with different spring/shock oil/pistons setups trying to cure the rear end kick. I went back to stock pistons and I slowly increased thickness of rear shock oil every couple of runs. I believe I finally settled on 45wt oil for the front, and 35wt for the rear shocks (Associated shock oil). I'm not an extreme basher, but the rear end now has a shot to clear a jump without bottoming out first.

I run my Yeti almost like a SC truck at backyard rough off-road track. 2S LiPo packs only. Top speed 22mph.

Front:
Stock Shock Pistons
3.27 lbs/in 70mm Yellow Springs
45wt Shock Oil
Ride Height-Arms Level
30k Diff Fluid

Rear:
Stock Shock Pistons
1.71 lbs/in 90mm White Springs
35wt Shock Oil
Ride Height-Lower Link Level with Chassis

And like the others...DEUCE'S WILD 2.2 STANDARD FOAMS

Last edited by RustyUs; 08-07-2017 at 04:32 PM.
RustyUs is offline   Reply With Quote

Yeti suspension - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
axial yeti jr. suspension/steering thread Yeti guy Axial Yeti 0 05-03-2017 05:07 PM
Yeti kit front suspension travel Mitchell72 Axial Yeti 13 04-10-2016 09:18 AM
Tuned Yeti XL suspension BrandonM95 Axial Yeti XL 5 11-17-2015 05:27 PM
Yeti suspension thread? dusty husky Axial Yeti 17 11-08-2015 01:38 PM
Yeti with very little front suspension travel coreyfro Axial Yeti 7 06-26-2015 10:22 AM