Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Baddest motor /esc set up for the Yeti

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2017, 05:55 PM   #1

Default Baddest motor /esc set up for the Yeti

Hey guys looking for the top 3 set ups to go with. I recently got a Yeti 1/10 and already had a Yeti XL. The regular Yeti is SLOW. I need more speed and power! Lol. I have 3s batteries 11.1v from my XL that I dont mind using for the yeti. Ok what your top choice set ups!
TrIkKeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2017, 06:11 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Baddest motor /esc set up for the Yeti

What is slow? I have 1/10 and 1/8 .....apples and oranges!
There are several guys here whose opinions you might want to respect.
You are going to want to research gearing.
Cheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 06:29 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Default Baddest motor /esc set up for the Yeti

I'd say step up to a 40xx sized motor.

Power - check
Torque - check
Gearing - does it matter
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 06:53 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

What do you mean by slow? My rtr yeti on 3s does 30+ mph on gravel, while still being usable in the trails and on the rocks. On pavement... well, I wouldn't use a yeti on pavement.
DavidH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 09:03 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrIkKeD View Post
Hey guys looking for the top 3 set ups to go with. I recently got a Yeti 1/10 and already had a Yeti XL. The regular Yeti is SLOW. I need more speed and power! Lol. I have 3s batteries 11.1v from my XL that I dont mind using for the yeti. Ok what your top choice set ups!
https://static.summitracing.com/glob....jpg?rep=False
Cheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 10:38 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheez View Post
Old 08-26-2017, 01:40 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I know nothing and have no experience but have read up on the matter and top picks seem to be the Mamba X, 25.2V WP ESC with either a Tekin Pro4 HD 3000kv or a Holmes Hobbies Puller Pro XL 3500kv, with Tekin ROC412coming up as an interesting contender. I think we are quite a few who are eagerly waiting for DavidH:s judgement on the ROC.

I have just ordered the Mamba X and will get one of the Tekins, since I due to fiscal reasons (shipping and customs to Sweden) can get them way cheaper than the HH. Either 100$ for a Tekin (with some Tower cash back) or 200$ (due to customs) for a HH. I reckon that while the HH seems to be slightly better, it won't be worth another 100$ to me. Same price, I would choose HH.

Last edited by Antsiranean; 08-26-2017 at 01:46 AM. Reason: Added links
Antsiranean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 03:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidH View Post
What do you mean by slow? My rtr yeti on 3s does 30+ mph on gravel, while still being usable in the trails and on the rocks. On pavement... well, I wouldn't use a yeti on pavement.
Sorry dude 30mph is SLOW in my book. I know The Rustler is a completely different truck but out of the box 50-70mph. I'll run my XL then run the 1/10 and I just fall asleep
TrIkKeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 08:20 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Sorry dude 30mph is SLOW in my book. I know The Rustler is a completely different truck but out of the box 50-70mph. I'll run my XL then run the 1/10 and I just fall asleep

I doubt if you could keep a yeti on its wheels at 70 mph. It's not made for that. The Tekin HD3000 is a beast on Yeti, for speed drop to a 2500 or 1850

I run a Slash4x4 with a castle 2600/MM2 and it does do 70, totally different rigs, it can't crawl though.

Reason why is suspension , the slash is low, stays on the ground.Yeti is nose heavy and too tall for speed, lowered it won't crawl.

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 09:59 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Simply put, it sounds like the wrong truck for you. The strength of the yeti is scale appearance and versatility. It's not an arrma stunt truck, and more power won't change that. If you look you will find threads here for those that put eighth scale power into a 1:10 yeti, and drive it as a stunt truck, and complain how how it breaks, how much they've spent, etc. if that is what you are after.

I'm following Mike's advice and putting in a Mamba X (again, versatility) with a Tekin ROC412HD 3100kv. This should get me a bit more speed and power over the stock system, be smooth for crawling, run cool all day, and not kill the drivetrain.

Are you not happy with your rustler?
Old 08-26-2017, 11:00 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Move the motor and ESC from the XL to the 1/10 and have a look see how it does.
Old 08-27-2017, 01:33 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
The Tekin HD3000 is a beast on Yeti, for speed drop to a 2500 or 1850
Drop down for speed? I must have missed something fundamental, since I thought higher kv-rating equalled more speed. Everything else equal I suppose it does. But for speed, is it better to gear up with lower kv? If so, why would it be better with lower kv and higher gearing, than higher kv and lower gearing? Please explain to a newb.
Antsiranean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 06:07 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Volt up not gear up.
Old 08-27-2017, 06:21 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

More voltage lower Kv equals more speed temperature is the trick, geared correctly cool and fast

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 11:20 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I can barely keep mine pointed straight on the trail and its got rtr electronics with just about everything else upgraded.
When its pegged it just fishtails as the stock tactic servo struggles to keep up with my steering correction inputs.

I am also thinking this might not be the right rig for you if you just want to haul donkey everywhere.
Its like i told my son when he was crawling his barrage and i was trying to go as slow as possible with my yeti. I said "sorry dude, this is like trying to drive a top fuel dragster at an autocross."

Different rig for different purpose.
But!
There have been some good suggestions. Castle mamba seems to be a great choice and thats what i would do if i wanted more power.
Good luck and keep in mind the faster you go the more stuff you will break.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 12:54 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antsiranean View Post
Drop down for speed? I must have missed something fundamental, since I thought higher kv-rating equalled more speed. Everything else equal I suppose it does. But for speed, is it better to gear up with lower kv? If so, why would it be better with lower kv and higher gearing, than higher kv and lower gearing? Please explain to a newb.
From what I've gathered to date, you drop down into a kv rated motor that is rated for a 4s battery; the higher voltage gives back the wheelspeed lost by the lower kv and more, without the heat that would result from trying to get the higher kv motor to move the heavy yeti at that speed.

Drawbacks include motor fitment, more torque for driveline and axle breakage, and having to use 4s batteries. And quality 4s compatible motors and ESCs aren't cheap. Benefits *may* include being able to emulate the low speed control and reduced heat that the 2-speed transmission provides; I've not seen this demonstrated.

Of course, if you are racing, or bashing without a budget, your considerations will differ.
Old 08-27-2017, 09:24 PM   #17

Mamba X with a sensored 1800kv motor on 6s should do the trick. On 3s geared correctly in reality should be plenty and controllable. Just my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
josh090314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:44 PM   #18

I agree, you can't make the Yeti into a speed truck without ruining what it's made to do. It's a sweet go anywhere off road truck with moderate speed. It's made to bounce around on the rocks and plow through the mud. It does those things well. Overpowering it will just make it temperamental and reveal its weaknesses like sloppy steering, flex in the suspension and chassis, and the lack of cornering ability.

And 70 mph from a stock Rustler? No way. At minimum it'll need street tires, lots of suspension tuning, beefed up parts, and extra cooling. Again, you'll ruin what it's meant to be by trying to get ridiculous speed out of it.

I don't really get the obsession with straight line speed numbers anyway. I want a truck I can drive on multiple surfaces, do some jumps, and bring home in one piece. My Yeti with a 20 mph power system in it does that. My SC10 with the 35 mph power system in it does that too on smoother surfaces. I don't twist driveshafts and strip gears every outing. And I'm sure I have just as much fun as those who do.
jester_s1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:54 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Monster X and Holmes Hobbies 3500 kv Puller Pro 540 XL moves mine along at a pretty decent clip though I don't know exactly how fast. You will probably end up doing more than just a motor/esc change if you want your Yeti to survive though.
Rumpelhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:43 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

OP, did you mix up your mphs with km/hs?
Ninomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote

Baddest motor /esc set up for the Yeti - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
motor/esc for my yeti desertdude Axial Yeti 9 03-08-2015 06:34 PM
Baddest motor/esc ms4x4outlaws Formula Offroad 36 12-31-2013 08:11 PM
baddest Mini-T motor with stock ESC? JavelinSST390 Non Crawler RC's 7 03-11-2008 11:15 PM