Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Snowman (the Abominable) - born as a beast, Yeti build thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2017, 02:04 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Snowman (the Abominable) - born as a beast, Yeti build thread

It is happening! My Yeti, who started out as a mere idea, will soon be born into the material world. The delivery will likely take a month or two, but unlike the case of real childbirth, the process is going to be a pleasure.

And his name shall be Snowman (the abominable). Of course. Graphics will be a tribute to the Yeti and to Nepal. Hopefully, since I haven’t painted a lexan body in 25 years.

Before I continue I would like to thank all the people who've helped me out so far. DavidH, magic_yeti, mikemcE, shiftauto and Shinchu - I really appreciate your input.

The discussion that led to this particular set of parts can be found in this thread, but I’ll outline my thinking below for the reader’s convenience. It is probably, hopefully, overbuilt with lots of upgrades for durability. An option would of course be to upgrade things as they brake, but since I live in Sweden delivery from the U.S. often takes two or three weeks and I would just hate to spend my time waiting for parts, instead of driving. I want it tough from the start. I’ve tried not to go way overboard with aluminum parts, since there ought to come a point when too much aluminum adds too much weigth, which in turn would make things break easier. Hopefully I’ve found the right balance. I want function, not baling.

Intended use is mainly as a trailing rig, occasionaly doing some light crawling and some light bashing – simply put: a good all round rig. A holy grail, I know, but hopefully a pretty good shot at finding it.

Motor and ESC
Tekin PRO4 Heavy-Duty Brushless 2-3S 3000kV Motor, 145$. High speed, high torque and more efficient (running cooler at high speeds) than the ROC412, if I got it right. The 2-speed should help give me all the control I will ever need at crawling speds. Check out this thread for an interesting discussion. HH Puller Pro would have been an alternative had I lived in the U.S., but I don’t. Ended up too expensive.Castle Creations Mamba X Sensored 25.2V WP ESC, 145$. Seems to be the golden standard. This review by rcdriver is a good read
4mm bullet connectors, three sets, 12$. For connecting motor to ESC. Was about to miss out on this one.Tekin 12AWG wire, 10$XT60 Connectors, 7$. I have Deans on my other car and am not very satisfied with them. They get stuck to easily. Time to change to something else and lots of people seem to be very satisfied with XT60. Since I drive on my own borrowing batteries is not an issue. Should it ever be, I'll make a Deans - XT60 adapter.

Steering servo
Xpert 7701, 99$. Plenty strong (380 oz-in @ 7,4V; 485 @8,4)and waterproof according to IP67
Castle Creations BEC, since the receiver only handles 6,0V and I want to run the servo at 7,0 or 8,4 V.
Bypass adapter, to power the steering servo directly from the battery, bypassing the receiver. Should save me some soldering, as far as I can understand.

Radio and receiver
FlySky GT3B. I have one already. Certainly good enough. Since the receiver only handles 6,0V, I am getting a BEC to power the steering servo.

Servo for 2-speed transmission
Savox 0231MG, 37$. Waterproof, strong enough and popular in this application.
servo reverser, 9$. Since transmission and aux-wire will run in parallell. Without this one, it seems as if crawler mode will be enabled in 2nd gear and race mode in 1st.

Last edited by Antsiranean; 10-18-2017 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Changed colour of text
Antsiranean is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2017, 02:06 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Snowman (the Abominable) - born as a beast, Yeti build thread

Aluminum parts from STRC.
Steering bellcrank set, 42$. To tighten up steering a bit
Front skid plate, 18$
Front caster block, 21$
Steering knuckles, 27$
Rear upper shock mount plate, 7$. Maybe not necessary, but cheap and doesn't add to many grams.

Axial aluminum parts
Machined Adjustable Motor mount, 30$
Servo horn 25T, 14$

Rear end stuff
MIP X-Duty Rear C-Drive Kit, 34$. Seems to be a popular upgrade, when the original breaks.
SSD wide rear axle, 110$. Probably overkill, but as I said before, I hate waiting for parts and want it tough from the start.
SSD rear trailing arms, 35$. As pointed out elsewhere, the rod ends define a break point and are cheap to replace. Therefore not Vanquish.
SSD Titanium rear upper links, 18$. Stainless steel might be better according to some, but these weigh less.
SSD rod ends, 4$. To have in my pocket.

Wheels and tires
SSD Proline wheels, 108$. Durable, looking good and cheaper than Vanquish alternative.
Proline Hyrax tires, 60$. Should provide plenty of traction. People seem to be very happy with these.
CI Double Deuces foams, soft and medium for front and back respectively, 34$. As far as I can understand, this is the s**t when it comes to foams.

Gears, bits, bobs and pieces
Axial 2-speed transmission, 95$. For versatility on and off the trail. Ordered from TowerHobbies, which makes it about the same price as the SSD version. If I use the high speed optional gearing, difference between 1st and 2nd gear is about the same (only slightly smaller, should not be noticable) as with the SSD transmission.
Stainless steel screws from RC Schrauben, ~45$. Included screws rusts far too easily, according to DavidH. Might as well use stainless from the start, and in addition the set includes 50% more than needed so that I won't have to buy individual replacements.
RPM front A-arms, 15$. Which will be fitted some 3/16 Stainless steel tubes for strengthening the hinge pins.
500.000 Cst diff fluid for the front diff. According to DavidH this should keep the diff functionally locked, but allow for movement during crashes. Makes sense.

I think that's about it. Should keep me occupied for a while.
Old 10-18-2017, 02:08 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Placeholder.
Old 10-18-2017, 02:42 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Paws are showing! Proline Hyrax mounted on SSD wheels with CI double douces foams. Such beauty! Loctite on all screws, everything fit perfectly. Nice beginning of my build.

Skickat från min SM-G920F via Tapatalk
Old 10-18-2017, 07:03 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antsiranean View Post

It is happening! My Yeti, who started out as a mere idea, will soon be born into the material world. The delivery will likely take a month or two, but unlike the case of real childbirth, the process is going to be a pleasure.

And his name shall be Snowman (the abominable). Of course. Graphics will be a tribute to the Yeti and to Nepal. Hopefully, since I haven’t painted a lexan body in 25 years.

Before I continue I would like to thank all the people who've helped me out so far. DavidH, magic_yeti, mikemcE, shiftauto and Shinchu - I really appreciate your input.

The discussion that led to this particular set of parts can be found in this thread, but I’ll outline my thinking below for the reader’s convenience. It is probably, hopefully, overbuilt with lots of upgrades for durability. An option would of course be to upgrade things as they brake, but since I live in Sweden delivery from the U.S. often takes two or three weeks and I would just hate to spend my time waiting for parts, instead of driving. I want it tough from the start. I’ve tried not to go way overboard with aluminum parts, since there ought to come a point when too much aluminum adds too much weigth, which in turn would make things break easier. Hopefully I’ve found the right balance. I want function, not bling.

Intended use is mainly as a trailing rig, occasionaly doing some light crawling and some light bashing – simply put: a good all round rig.

So, here goes:

Yeti kit
Motor and ESC, I intend to run it on 3S
Tekin PRO4 Heavy-Duty Brushless 2-3S 3000kV Motor, 145$. High speed, high torque and more efficient (running cooler at high speeds) than the ROC412, if I got it right. The 2-speed should help give me all the control I will ever need at crawling speds. Check out this thread for an interesting discussion. HH Puller Pro would have been an alternative had I lived in the U.S., but I don’t. Ended up too expensive.
Castle Creations Mamba X Sensored 25.2V WP ESC, 145$. Seems to be the golden standard. This review by rcdriver is a good read
4mm bullet connectors, three sets, 12$. For connecting motor to ESC. Was about to miss out on this one.
Tekin 12AWG wire, 10$
XT60 Connectors, 7$. I have Deans on my other car and am not very satisfied with them. They get stuck to easily. Time to change to something else and lots of people seem to be very satisfied with XT60. Since I drive on my own borrowing batteries is not an issue. Should it ever be, I'll make a Deans - XT60 adapter.

Steering servo
Xpert 7701, 99$. Plenty strong (380 oz-in @ 7,4V; 485 @8,4)and waterproof according to IP67.
Castle Creations BEC, since the receiver only handles 6,0V and I want to run the servo at 7,0 or 8,4 V.
Bypass adapter, to power the steering servo directly from the battery, bypassing the receiver.
Should save me some soldering, as far as I can understand.

Radio and receiver
FlySky GT3B. I have one already. Certainly good enough. Since the receiver only handles 6,0V, I am getting a BEC to power the steering servo.

Servo for 2-speed transmission
Savox 0231MG, 37$. Waterproof, strong enough and popular in this application.
servo reverser, 9$. Since transmission and aux-wire will run in parallell. Without this one, it seems as if crawler mode will be enabled in 2nd gear and race mode in 1st.
I think I would go for XT90's, just to be sure as for amp draw with this motor and ESC...

Nice list for the rest

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 5X met Tapatalk
Chris-NL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 09:12 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris-NL View Post
I think I would go for XT90's, just to be sure as for amp draw with this motor and ESC...
A couple of XT60 connectors are already lying on my desk. I can't remember why I chose XT60 over XT90, but I did read up on it and am pretty sure they will do fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris-NL View Post
Nice list for the rest
Nice, and expensive. But cost per hour of fun will still be cheaper than going to cinema. Or gambling. Or a lot of other things.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:26 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Nice, and expensive. But cost per hour of fun will still be cheaper than going to cinema. Or gambling. Or a lot of other things.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:26 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
A couple of XT60 connectors are already lying on my desk. I can't remember why I chose XT60 over XT90, but I did read up on it and am pretty sure they will do fine.

LOL

Old 10-18-2017, 12:13 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
500.000 Cst diff fluid for the front diff. According to DavidH this should keep the diff functionally locked, but allow for movement during crashes. Makes sense.
To be more accurate, on loose surfaces 500K will drive like the front diff is locked, but on more challenging terrain there will be slip; regardless, it is a good place to start. If you want to test out the low gear with some crawling/climbing, put a 200-500g lump of lead in the front bumper to ballast the nose down, to help in keeping the front tires in contact with the ground.
DavidH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 01:20 PM   #10

I love building wheels and tires first. And you made a good choice with those.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 01:34 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I got my kit today and am very much looking forward to start putting it together this weekend. Looking through it I found this, and I don't really know what it is for. Masking the headlights when painting I guess? And masking a really ugly axial logo? Please educate me on the subject.

Old 10-25-2017, 01:51 PM   #12
RCC Addict

yes masking tape. only i used from was the part for the front lights. to keep the body clear for the lights.
in this post is a little vid of my light installation: A Yeti for the Alllgäu or my little monster
have fun building the snowman

just a hint if you screw into plastic use a little dip grease on the screw and loctide if screwing into metal

Last edited by magic_yeti; 10-25-2017 at 02:02 PM.
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 02:38 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Thanks magic_yeti! What's dip grease? I suppose you mean diff grease? Does screws lock better into the plastic then? I've got loctite, used it when assembling the SSD wheels.
Old 10-26-2017, 04:14 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Thanks magic_yeti! What's dip grease? I suppose you mean diff grease? Does screws lock better into the plastic then? I've got loctite, used it when assembling the SSD wheels.
no the opposite on plastic. if you screw into plastic special the first time it's producing heat cutting the tread into plastic afterwarts the plastic cools down and shrinks, using a little dip grease reduces the heat. so if you have to take the screw out it's not so tide as without grease and the possibility to strip the screw is reduced. didn't do this on mine and striped a few screw hassel to get them out some i had to drill out. i use silicon grease for this but any should work.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:15 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Good to know, intetesting. I'll dip my ss screws from RC Schrauben in diff grease then. Or loctite, when appropriate.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:47 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_yeti View Post
no the opposite on plastic. if you screw into plastic special the first time it's producing heat cutting the tread into plastic afterwarts the plastic cools down and shrinks, using a little dip grease reduces the heat. so if you have to take the screw out it's not so tide as without grease and the possibility to strip the screw is reduced. didn't do this on mine and striped a few screw hassel to get them out some i had to drill out. i use silicon grease for this but any should work.
Interesting. I've never heard of dip grease before.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 01:59 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Got both stock and RPM A-ARMS sleeved. 8$ and thirty minutes, thanks for the tip. Only one problem can be forseen: the blue RPM stickers won't look good on a blue body.

Old 10-28-2017, 04:17 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Unforseen problem: stock outer hinge pins are too short for the RPM A-arms. Sock arms are therefore installed and longer hinge pins, M3 x 40mm should do it, will be ordered. Together with some green slime for shock building.
Old 10-28-2017, 06:53 AM   #19
RCC Addict

how about some pics of your progress
may be you find some screws that fit the rpm in the set.

Gesendet von meinem T1-A21L mit Tapatalk
Old 10-28-2017, 02:54 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Ain't much to it yet, but here's progress so far.

Last edited by Antsiranean; 10-28-2017 at 11:12 PM.

Snowman (the Abominable) - born as a beast, Yeti build thread - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yeti XL in Beast Mode LeePin Axial Yeti XL 6 04-15-2017 05:25 PM
DB's Axial Yeti Build Thread (Deja Vu) Dbdynsty25 Axial Yeti 16 06-13-2016 09:13 AM
Green Mountain Abominable Snowman motopreserve Axial Yeti 74 12-25-2014 10:33 AM
yeti 1 week review/ build thread db450 Axial Yeti 0 09-10-2014 12:49 AM