Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Does differential locking grease work?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2017, 12:29 PM   #1

Default Does differential locking grease work?

I want my Yeti to crawl better, so I need more front traction. I realize there's a tradeoff in cornering, but that's ok as this truck is always run on rough surfaces. I can fully lock it with epoxy putty, or I can use the silicone earplugs or the Bad Horsie diff locking grease. My question, for those who have done it, is does the grease work well enough to make a significant improvement in crawling performance? I'll go fully locked if I need to, but with the reports I'm seeing of parts breakage resulting from the fully locked fronts maybe that's not the way to go?
jester_s1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2017, 04:52 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Does differential locking grease work?

A locked front diff will cause the outside tire to tuck in the corners, and will increase your turning circle; I'll live with the first, and use four-wheel-steer for the second.

I have not used earplugs or locking "grease" but have used Team Associated diff fluids (100K-500K) and viscoelastic liquid silicone (silly putty). I bought the silly putty under the brand name of Putty Peeps.

I have not had any driveline breakage using this stuff.

You can also greatly increase the front traction by adding 500g or more of lead ballast to the nose of the yeti, tucked inside the bumper. this is a nice solution as you can remove the lead when you are done crawling.

This is my RTR yeti with stock electronics, two-speed transmission, some putty in the front diff, a softer rear sway bar, longer endlinks on the shocks, and some cheap proline tires.

DavidH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 06:19 PM   #3

I've read threads saying the silly putty didn't lock the front enough to crawl well, so I'm thinking of going with something stiffer than that. That's what made me curious about the locking grease. My daughter uses those ear plugs, and they are a lot stiffer than silly putty.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:10 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester_s1 View Post
I've read threads saying the silly putty didn't lock the front enough to crawl well, so I'm thinking of going with something stiffer than that. That's what made me curious about the locking grease. My daughter uses those ear plugs, and they are a lot stiffer than silly putty.
I use the silicone ear plugs in mine. It works pretty well. I do a fair bit of crawling with mine and while the front is still open, it's a nice compromise. Until I've got a electric locking diff like a trx-4, it's the best I can do.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
poohsad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 06:15 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

If using a rock racer as more of a dedicated crawler, then lock the front diff. Otherwise, shove some 500k diff fluid in there, and enjoy the Yeti for what it is. If you try silly putty, make sure to have a completely clean diff. If you don't, you'll end up with super sticky chewing gum-like substance in your gears. It's not a bad thing. It's just that any silicone fluid, or grease left behind will mix with the putty and break it down quicker.
RustyUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:57 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Racers Edge Diff Putty....I use this on the front diff of my Twin Hammers and both front and rear diffs of my B2B Bomber. Just enough give to avoid breaking parts. I highly recommend it.

Racers Edge Diff Locking Putty
bilinvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 11:16 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester_s1 View Post
[pedant]
When talking about non-Newtonian fluids, it's tricky to say how 'stiff' they are, when they can shatter when hit with a hammer, bounce when dropped like a ball, or do this when left on a shelf. The silicone earplugs that I have do not have this property.

[/pedant]

What makes them work well in a diff is that they (putty peeps, silly putty) get more vicious the harder you work them. I use this putty in both the front and rear diffs in my yeti, and don't experience noticeable slippage.

But, I encourage you to experiment, and let us know how it works out.

I will reiterate Rusty's comment, that you need to get all of the previous fluid out of the diff so as not to contaminate the putty, and for whatever you use, make sure you do not leave any air gaps that might allow the gears to cavitate.

I intend to try out the racer's edge putty, should my LHS ever decide to restock their shelves.
DavidH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 02:04 PM   #8

Good point about silly putty. I ordered the locking grease on Ebay and will try it in the next few weeks. I just switched to steel beadlock wheels which by itself improved the crawling ability noticeably. I was actually quite surprised in the difference it made. But there is still the occasional moment when a front wheel gets hung out there to spin. I'm not trying to make the Yeti into a dedicated crawler, but since it'll never corner worth anything anyway I'm curious how much gain I can get in that area without giving up significant performance otherwise.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:01 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Ive used racers edge diff lock putty and macks silicone ear plugs, both work awesome. The racers edge is a little stiffer then the ear plugs.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 10:25 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

https://www.tamiyausa.com/items/radi...-1000000-54419

I use this in my Twin Hammers. Best of both worlds I found. Like a really aggressive limited slip and I didn’t notice any high speed turning loss.

I typed this almost auto correctly free
xCoolHandLukex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 10:18 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Hi all,
Has anyone tried the lockeduprc lunch box lockers
http://www.lockeduprc.com/FI-Spool--Lunchbox_p_823.html

Envoyé de mon SM-G930F en utilisant Tapatalk
le varan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 10:26 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by le varan View Post
Hi all,
Has anyone tried the lockeduprc lunch box lockers
Yes, works great for a fully locked differential.
bilinvic is offline   Reply With Quote

Does differential locking grease work? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Silicone differential oil or grease? sylvan Traxxas TRX-4 20 08-04-2017 10:42 AM
Locking front Differential 4X4 Freak Axial Yeti 10 12-14-2014 07:10 PM
Universal axles (Axial)... grease or no grease TacoCrawler Axial SCX-10 15 11-14-2013 12:27 PM
Axle grease, grease gun idea. arctichorse Axial SCX-10 1 11-14-2012 11:52 PM