Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Motor Upgrade / Shock / Diff Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2020, 07:06 PM   #1

Default Motor Upgrade / Shock / Diff Questions

Hey guys,

I've been doing some reading on the site and find that most people here high higher-KV motors in their Yeti's. My yeti is primarily a basher / trail rig. Here is my current gear setup:
  • Stock 3150KV motor
  • AXI30402 Underdrive Gear Set in both the front and rear differentials
  • SSD Cenetered Rear Axle
  • Stock Spur Gear
  • Can't recall what pinion gear I have installed
  • Hot Racing 2 Speed Gear Set
    • By the way, this gear set is awesome! The shifter sucks ass though. Highly recomend using Axial's shift lever instead AX31183
    • It is much more consistent, and provides a better linear travel during the shift. Much smoother. Downside is that its not a direct fit due to different thread sizes. Some minor trimming on the plastic shifter fork allowed it to fit into the HR gear no problem though.

Lately I'm really enjoying going somewhat slow and climbing over obstacles in low gear with this vehicle, so I was thinking that since I already have the Castle Mamba Monster X ESC, I'd pair it with a Castle 1406 2850kv motor

If I want the extra speed, I can always combine two 2S batteries or purchase a 4s battery, but I think for the most part I will be running it as 2S or 3S.

Would this motor be a good fit for my use case?

As far as the Diff Oil question goes: Currently I have a locked rear diff and 1M CST diff oil in the front. This has served me pretty well, and I'm enjoying what the 1M oil does but was curious if anyone ran with higher weight oils in the front / unlocked diffs with a high weight in the rear.

Specifically, I was interested in either the 2.5M / 20M oil by GravityRC. I feel like the 20M oil would be a bit too heavy, but I could dilute it with a lower weight oil if needed. Anyone have experience running heavy oils like that? I'm likely going to purchase the spider gears to swap over to an unlocked rear diff, hence the question.

Finally, I have these shocks on my somewhat heavy rig, and was wondering if anyone new of stiffer springs for them:

I already purchased their Spring Assortment, but was looking for something slightly stiffer to keep the front shocks extended further. I haven't had any complaints about the rear shocks , as they keep the rear about where I want it.
RaunchyFartBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2020, 08:06 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Motor Upgrade / Shock / Diff Questions

I wouldn't go with the 1406, it's more for crawler and lighter rigs.
I started with the Monster X with 3800kv 1410 (unsensored) to run 3s, speed torque wise nice set up, but no low speed control. So i switched to HH Puller Pro-R 4100kv, i love it, nice low speed control, lots of torque and speed. But i think the new sensored 1410 3800kv will be also a nice option. Running 64/16 but can also run 64/19 for more speed, with the axial 2-speed (using the high speed option). Front diff is filled with 2mio cst diff oil, which improves crawling and doesn't effect turning at high speed too much.
rear shox i switched back to the icon's with an dual spring setup. More info what i've gone thru with my little monster u can find in my build thread
A Yeti for the Alllgäu or my little monster
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 10:42 AM   #3

Wouldn’t a lower Kv motor have better low speed control though? Like I said in my post, I’m not really looking to go insane fast with this vehicle, I have a ERevo I can do that with.

What advantage does the higher kv motor actually provide in that situation?
RaunchyFartBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 10:56 AM   #4
RCC Addict

The holmes is very smooth at startup in my opinion nice if i do some crawling in 1. gear, if i want bash around it has insane speed in 2nd gear. But you can gear more down, if you want for lower speed and more torque if needed. But as said the 3800kv was also nice to drive, wouldn't have changed if it was sensored.
Old 06-19-2020, 10:56 AM   #5
RCC Addict

The holmes is very smooth at startup in my opinion nice if i do some crawling in 1. gear, if i want bash around it has insane speed in 2nd gear. But you can gear more down, if you want for lower speed and more torque if needed. But as said the 3800kv was also nice to drive, wouldn't have changed if it was sensored.
Old 04-21-2021, 04:47 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

MonsterX /4100 kv Homes Puller Pro 540L on 3s here. Good low speed startup and very good top end.
Rumpelhardt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2850kv, diff oil, monster mamba x, motor upgrade

Motor Upgrade / Shock / Diff Questions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shock oil and tire upgrade questions. melbatoast HPI Venture 24 03-29-2019 12:15 AM
Twin Hammers GCM Front Shock Upgrade Questions VTHDAN4467 Vaterra Twin Hammers 14 05-26-2015 12:15 PM
motor upgrade questions, scale4x4 Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 25 10-19-2009 12:27 PM
motor upgrade questions bonesaw General Crawlers 2 08-18-2008 06:58 PM