Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Soze's Axial Yeti Kit Progress tracker.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2017, 07:00 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Soze's Axial Yeti Kit Progress tracker.

So, I bought an Axial Yeti Kit in December 2015 (sat for a year boxed in garage), and it's been exactly a year ago since I started and finished building it. Up to this point I had only built Tamiya/Kyosho Re-release kits... so it was my first modern kit and it's pretty much 100% stock. I haven't done much to it at all since last year.

It's weird.... I really like it, like the way it looks.... just haven't run it much and have gotten so distracted with scale crawlers that I haven't paid much attention to it. Well, I think I'm going to start putting some work into it.

This thread will also help me keep track of what's been done to this truck.

Follow this build on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...zMErjBbIsCp9fx

Here's how it stands right now.

Most product links are to the item on eBay

Parts:
Axial 1/10 Yeti Rock Racer Kit
Axial Racing AX30230 Spring 14x54mm 4.95lbs/in Super Firm Blue (Front)
Axial Racing AX30217 Super Firm Spring, Blue, 14 x 90mm/3.01 lb (Rear)
Axial Racing AX31290 AR60 OCP Full Width Axle Adapter Set (not yet installed - will not be using AR60)
RPM Front A-Arms EXO Buggy (installed 12/2017)
MIP X-Duty Rear C-Drive Kit for Yeti (installed 12/2017)
CWR-3003 - Crawler Innovations Single Stage Closed Cell

Motor:
Tenshock SC411 4-Pole 4600kv SCT Sensored Brushless

Electronics:
Hobbywing SCT8 Pro ESC
Savox 1268SG Servo

Tools/Paint:
Pactra Bright Yellow

**Upgrades added as of 3/2018**:
Xtra Speed SCX10 II HD Steel Spur Gear (56T/15T)
Incision 00051 Incision Yeti 1/4 Stainless Steel Rear Upper Suspension Link Kit
SSD RC HD D60 Centered Rear Axle for Wraith SMT10 Yeti
SSD RC Wide D60 Rear Axle Conversion Kit for Yeti
SSD RC Yeti Rear Trailing Arms (Silver) (available on eBay)
Team KNK Axial Yeti Stainless Hardware Kit (available on eBay)
Vanquish Yeti front Skid Plate
M3x60mm Hex Bolt Socket Head Cap Machine Screws (to replace front arm hinge pin)
PowerHobby Aluminum Motor Heatsink Cooling Fan For 1/10 540 / 550 Size Motor
Boom Racing Aluminum Steering Knuckle Caster Block
Boom Racing Aluminum Steering Knuckle
Boom Racing Aluminum Rear Upper Shock Mount

Last edited by soze; 12-04-2019 at 11:08 PM.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2017, 07:26 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Soze's Axial Yeti Progress tracker.

Subbed. I’ve got a RTR 380 and am of similar sentiment.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 07:35 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Nicely done, clean Yeti - really think the color choice makes it "pop"!

The major price reductions in Losi Rock Rey and Axial Yeti SCORE Trophy Truck Kits are making me wish for a large credit line... Interesting that the Yeti hasn't dropped to match...
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 07:39 PM   #4
RCC Addict

How is that SC411 working out with the Hobbywing ESC? I've already got the same ESC (with a 3400kv 3656) and was looking specifically at the same Tenshock motor you have (2000 watts!), but it says right on Hobbywing's site that their ESC's don't work with Tenshock's for some reason.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:50 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
How is that SC411 working out with the Hobbywing ESC? I've already got the same ESC (with a 3400kv 3656) and was looking specifically at the same Tenshock motor you have (2000 watts!), but it says right on Hobbywing's site that their ESC's don't work with Tenshock's for some reason.
I haven't had any issues that I'm aware of, but then again... I haven't run it much. The times I have it seemed fine? I guess I'll have to run it more.

But I did find this excerpt from Hobbywing NA back in 2013.

https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/blog...enshock-motors

https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/blog...re-information

https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/blog...ftware-updates

Not sure if it applies anymore though.

Last edited by soze; 12-06-2017 at 09:53 PM.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:01 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I'm in the same boat - mine's been here for a while and haven't done much with it. Just started messing with it again. I'll be watching yours as well!
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 01:39 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Alright, I've been doing some research... and I still don't know where to start upgrading.

So far... I've decided to finally get around to installing the upgrades that I've already acquired that have been sitting ignored...
- Axial Full Width Adapter
- MIP Driveshaft
- RPM Arms

Now from the initial research.... looks like I'm going to want to sleeve my RPM arms using 1’ length of 3/16 SS tubing, so that'll probably be done first with the RPM Arms.

I believe I've already filled the front shocks with Team Associated 40wt. shock oil and the rears are 60wt. I think. It's been so long since I touched this truck, I don't remember.

I'm going to try out some 3S power in this truck, so I guess I need new wheels and aftermarket hubs to withstand the power?

Some planned parts that I'm looking into.

- Axial AX31027 Plastic 56T Spur Gear. (need to get the slipper plates and pads along with the gear. Sticking with plastic first.)
- Robinson Racing 18T or 19T Pinion.
- GPM Wheels (I know it's only the front face)
- Aluminum Hub adapters? (I'm assuming I need the same size front and rear if I install the Axial full width kit.)

I'm weary of blinging this whole truck out with every aluminum part under the sun, so I'd like to avoid that and only get what's necessary for what I need. I'm trying to avoid adding any unnecessary weight.

My purpose for the Yeti, is basically going to be driving around the field, dirt, gravel... and some trailing. No crawling with this guy.

I guess the trouble is figuring out what is "needed" given the way I'm going to use it.

Last edited by soze; 12-07-2017 at 06:26 PM.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:28 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Default Re: Soze's Axial Yeti Kit Progress tracker.

if you use the stock ar60 rear axle consider beef tubes cause the wide axle kit put more force on the axle housing by the longer out puts. also available in diffrent matirial alloy brass steel depending how much additional weight you like in the rear to work a little against the nose heavy tendency of the yeti
Depending if you want the same width on front/rear then you need the same hubs. if going fast a wider rear isn't bad

And new rear upper links the plastic ones are a little fragile , i would go with ssd or vanquish/incision

Last edited by magic_yeti; 12-07-2017 at 02:30 PM.
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:34 PM   #9
RCC Addict

I personally like the plastic wheels with aluminum SLW hubs for go-fast/bashers, I even run them on several non-Axial cars. You're a step ahead having the kit version (hardened gears, 92mm axles, aluminum upper links) but I still had a ton of things that required attention to make the Yeti reasonably reliable on 3s. It's not just the power, but the speed/impacts that come with it.

In addition to your sleeved RPM arms, I'd recommend an aluminum front hinge pin holder, grade 12.9 hinge pins, gpm aluminum front diff housing, a "big bearing" rear axle housing (Dlux modified stock housing, or SSD D60HD centered housing are good/cheap options), a one piece spool in the rear, grade 12.9 ring gear screws, and maybe even a metal diff carrier for the front. I've had pretty good luck with the WB8HD driveshafts, but that was using just a basic 3656 brushless setup that probably made 1/2 the power of yours. I also changed most of the rod ends out with Traxxas "Jato" ends since the Axial ones wore very quickly and made the whole front end sloppy, RPM makes them too. Even with the kit's reinforcement plates, the trailing arms break at the rod end, so that's going to be another must-have upgrade, just make sure that whichever ones you choose have replaceable ends (not just the balls) because they WILL wear out.

You could keep building it like crazy, and the aftermarket is certainly in place to support that, but those are the things that I found to be necessary upgrades on the Yeti SCORE kit. I ultimately found that it was plenty fast enough and easier to keep alive on 2s... but down the road it went and I'm the happy owner of a Baja Rey!
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 03:28 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_yeti View Post
if you use the stock ar60 rear axle consider beef tubes cause the wide axle kit put more force on the axle housing by the longer out puts. also available in diffrent matirial alloy brass steel depending how much additional weight you like in the rear to work a little against the nose heavy tendency of the yeti
Depending if you want the same width on front/rear then you need the same hubs. if going fast a wider rear isn't bad

And new rear upper links the plastic ones are a little fragile , i would go with ssd or vanquish/incision
If that's the case would it be better to get something like the Boom Racing AR60 Phat Axle housing? It's only a $5 difference between the housing and beef tubes.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:48 AM   #11
RCC Addict

I have gone another route SSD Wide Diamond Axle so i can't tell if the axle is better than beef tubes. also ssd has a new plastic axle for the yeti maybe have a look at it.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:19 AM   #12

I don't like the look of Yetis nor do I like yellow, but your Yeti looks really cool in yellow!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 07:43 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_yeti View Post
I have gone another route SSD Wide Diamond Axle so i can't tell if the axle is better than beef tubes. also ssd has a new plastic axle for the yeti maybe have a look at it.
I was actually researching the SSD wide axle last night. I also saw the new plastic one as well... I like the looks of it, but wouldn't it require beef tubes as well? I don't mind.... but just need to know if I need to get them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I don't like the look of Yetis nor do I like yellow, but your Yeti looks really cool in yellow!
Funny you mention this. I didn't like the Yeti until I saw one at a shop with the Pro-Line Baja Bug body. So I bought the Yeti and the Baja Bug body. Thought I'd paint the stock Yeti body for fun... somehow I ended up painting it Yellow which I pretty much never do. Turns out I love the way the stock body looks in Yellow.
Old 12-09-2017, 03:59 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
I was actually researching the SSD wide axle last night. I also saw the new plastic one as well... I like the looks of it, but wouldn't it require beef tubes as well? I don't mind.... but just need to know if I need to get them.
The SSD has different design and don't need a beef tube as far as i know. was discussed in a thread. If you still want to use the wide axle kit check if it fits(needed) the ssd axle if you go that route.

Last edited by magic_yeti; 12-09-2017 at 04:52 AM.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:29 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post

Funny you mention this. I didn't like the Yeti until I saw one at a shop with the Pro-Line Baja Bug body. So I bought the Yeti and the Baja Bug body. Thought I'd paint the stock Yeti body for fun... somehow I ended up painting it Yellow which I pretty much never do. Turns out I love the way the stock body looks in Yellow.
The Bug body looks awesome on a Yeti!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 07:29 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
The Bug body looks awesome on a Yeti!
New in package sitting on my work bench in preparation for my walking dead yeti build.... if I ever get around to doing it.
DukeMinnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 12:06 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

So... a few things ordered from Amain to take advantage of the coupon they had. Unfortunately, the KNK Screws I ordered are backordered.... so that means the rest of my order is held up until they are in stock. Hopefully Amain gets the screw kit in stock soon so that I can get to upgrading.
Old 12-12-2017, 05:56 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Looks like AMain finally got their backordered items in stock.... a few things coming... Not sure if I'll be using it all on this truck, since I also have a Yeti Score TT Kit waiting in the wings. I'll be determining which parts go to which as I go.

56T Spur setup

Option 1:
Axial AX31027 32P 56T Spur Gear
Axial AX31068 Slipper Pad, 32.8 x 15.2 x 1mm

Option 2:
Xtra Speed SCX10 II HD Steel Spur Gear (56T/15T)

Rear Upper Link setup

Option 1:
Incision 00051 Incision Yeti 1/4 Stainless Steel Rear Upper Suspension Link Kit

Option 2:
Alum Rear Upper Chassis Linkage For RC Car 1/10 Axial Yeti AX90026 Racer AX31007 (available on eBay)

Rear Axle setup

Option 1: (for use with AR60)
Xtra Speed Stainless Steel Axle Tubes Axial Wraith RR10 Bomber Yeti #XS-AW230050

Option 2:
SSD RC HD D60 Centered Rear Axle for Wraith SMT10 Yeti
SSD RC Wide D60 Rear Axle Conversion Kit for Yeti

The rest of parts that were ordered from various places

SSD RC Yeti Rear Trailing Arms (Silver) (available on eBay)
SSD RC M3 HD Plastic Rod Ends for Trailing Arms (available on eBay)
Team KNK Axial Yeti Stainless Hardware Kit (available on eBay)
Vanquish Products Yeti Front Skid Plate (Black)
Alum Front 2.2 Wheel Hex Hub Adapter 14mm For RC Car 1/10 Axial Yeti AX90026 (available on eBay)

As you can see, a mix between name brand parts and cheapie parts. Just need to try them out and see how they work.

Last edited by soze; 12-04-2019 at 11:12 PM.
Old 12-14-2017, 03:14 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

So everything except for the Xtra Speed axle tubes, generic aluminum wheel hex hub adapters, and generic aluminum rear upper links came in.

Will take a picture or something later. Hopefully I can get started on this soon. Most daunting will probably be the screw kit.... complete disassembly required.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:16 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Let's take a look at how it stands before the fun begins...

Rear Axle Upgrade... Options #1 and #2

Rear Links and Drive shaft Upgrade

Skid Plate, Arm and Hardware upgrade

56T Spur Upgrade... Options #1 and #2

So far.... it's a little bit daunting figuring out where I want to start. The obvious bulk of the work will be the KNK hardware upgrade. I'll also need to flip the gears in the front diff to use the SSD axle.

I'll try to figure out where to start tomorrow.

Soze's Axial Yeti Kit Progress tracker. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Soze's GMade Sawback 4LS soze G-Made Sawback 23 12-31-2021 12:59 PM
Soze's GMADE GOM GR01 Build soze G-Made Crawlers 69 08-20-2021 12:45 AM
Soze's MST CFX-W Build soze Max Speed Technology CFX 90 01-31-2019 01:02 AM
My Yeti build in progress GrimReaper187 Axial Yeti 6 07-07-2016 03:40 PM
Axial RTR - Making Progress Houndog Videos! 0 05-24-2008 05:40 PM