Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Can't decide which motor....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2018, 01:11 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Can't decide which motor....

Gonna run the CC MMX each, but can't decide on which motor.

CC sensors 2650kv

HH PP 2700kv or 3500kv (std or xl)

Price wise the 2650 with MMX is about $235

The HH are about $280-290.

Mainly running 3s bashing around the yard, trails, hills, beach and snow(when we get some).

I've read good reviews on all of them.

Any suggestions?
Jeep757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2018, 01:29 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Can't decide which motor....

I'd just go with the 2650kv since it'll be cheaper and is fine for the job. You can then run 4S if you really want to wake it up more.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 11:41 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I use my yeti in the trails and on the rocks, so I want good smooth low end control but i still want enough wheelspeed so that - on dirt - I cannot simply hold the trigger down and get to top speed; some skill need be applied.

I do not run it on pavement, grass, or tracks. I only have and want to use 3s batteries for cost and fitment reasons.

I always buy local when I can, as internet orders from USA -> Canada are a real PITA when something goes wrong, which rules out the HH motors for me.

The 3100kv Tekin ROC412HD can be geared for 30+ mph while providing excellent slow-speed control (better than the pro4hd according to tekin) and is waterproof. And with the Mamba X the rock racer - crawler mode toggle makes it even better.

On a 5000mah pack I get over 1.5 hours of runtime.

What is not shown in this video is the practice is took to get the truck to achieve full speed on this loose surface without spinning out.

DavidH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 01:02 AM   #4

I always buy local when I can, as internet orders from USA -> Canada are a real PITA when something goes wrong, which rules out the HH motors for me.

Not sure if im doing this right just registered. I was in Kamloops BC this past week and went to the hobby store there "interior crafts and hobbies" have Holmes product in stock and they say they are a dealer and can order.
CHIEFWIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 04:25 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

DavidH, thanks for posting that vid. That's exactly what I hope to achieve with my rock racer without using two speed tranny. Currently, I'm not going for speeds above 22mph, and only running 2S. I've tried a couple of 3650 sized motors that I had laying around; none of which amounted to much. The heavy Yeti always asked a lot from smaller motors, thus giving me/motor heat issues. I've been the happiest running a 1/8 scale 2650KV Neu Castle on 3S. I wish I would have waited for the new sensored version to purchase. I could not imagine running that motor with a 4S pack strapped in the Yeti...definitely would need upgraded driveline.
RustyUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 05:23 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep757 View Post
Gonna run the CC MMX each, but can't decide on which motor.

CC sensors 2650kv

HH PP 2700kv or 3500kv (std or xl)

Price wise the 2650 with MMX is about $235

The HH are about $280-290.

Mainly running 3s bashing around the yard, trails, hills, beach and snow(when we get some).

I've read good reviews on all of them.

Any suggestions?
Holmes Hobbies and Tekin both make high quality brushless motors( very reliable and smooth on rock crawling) for fast truck like yeti Holmes Hobbies or Tekin start from 3000kv would be a good choice.
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 11:33 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I have a Tekin Pro4HD 3000kv with a CC Mamba X, on 2S it's a great trail truck and on 3S it's really fast. Just about too fast, actually. Low speed control is excellent. 2 speed as well, really nice in combination with the CC crawler mode. Performance is very much like in the video DavidH posted above.
Antsiranean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 01:41 PM   #8
RCC Addict

I usw a cc1410 3800kv in mine it's unsensored. It's fine with the 2 speed, now you can get a sensored Version.

I'm temped to get the HH Piller pro xl-r 4100kv. But bugdet isn't available right now......

AS ESC i usw a mmx.

Send by my Pixel 2 XL with Tapatalk

Last edited by magic_yeti; 01-07-2018 at 02:56 PM.
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 01:54 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I started mine with a MMX and a 2200KV on 4S...with the occasional 6S. It was a bit much. I use this as my basher. So I'm now running a castle SCT and GoolRC 3660 3800KV on 3S. The motor cost me £15 delivered, so far its been brilliant, I've put about 25,000 mah through it, mostly flat out. The motor is waterproof and I've tested it by "falling in" some ice puddles and struggling out...but getting out and continuing on !
thewildblue77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 10:48 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIEFWIG View Post
Not sure if im doing this right just registered.
No worries. Just click the 'quote' button to include the text of the post that you are responding to.
Quote:
I was in Kamloops BC this past week and went to the hobby store there "interior crafts and hobbies" have Holmes product in stock and they say they are a dealer and can order.
That they have stock is a good sign. What kv are you getting and how did you work that out?

I felt that the 3500 was a bit high for me, and the other choices too low. But, this can be adjusted for in gearing.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidH View Post
No worries. Just click the 'quote' button to include the text of the post that you are responding to.

That they have stock is a good sign. What kv are you getting and how did you work that out?

I felt that the 3500 was a bit high for me, and the other choices too low. But, this can be adjusted for in gearing.
I'm not gonna get one for my Yeti as I have the Score and so far stock with a 3S and a 17 tooth pinion it is good enought for me now, the body cant take much more the way I drive . I was thinking of getting a holmes for my crawler, but the Tekin 35T seems goood so far.
CHIEFWIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 11:03 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyUs View Post
DavidH, thanks for posting that vid. That's exactly what I hope to achieve with my rock racer without using two speed tranny. Currently, I'm not going for speeds above 22mph, and only running 2S. I've tried a couple of 3650 sized motors that I had laying around; none of which amounted to much. The heavy Yeti always asked a lot from smaller motors, thus giving me/motor heat issues. I've been the happiest running a 1/8 scale 2650KV Neu Castle on 3S. I wish I would have waited for the new sensored version to purchase. I could not imagine running that motor with a 4S pack strapped in the Yeti...definitely would need upgraded driveline.
Keep in mind that sensored is not a replacement for proper gearing. A good sensored system will most probably be able to soak up a lot more heat than a cheap non-sensored system, but it is the 2-speed that takes the stress (and heat) out of the motor and esc for low speed operation. It also mechanically shortens the 'steps' that the motor takes for each revolution of the wheels, for further smoothness.

The value of the 2-speed upgrade increases with the wider the range of speeds you plan to use.

Without the 2-speed, you may need to gear down the 2650 motor for low speed operation to the point where you will need 4s to get the wheelspeed you want at the top end.

One of my issues with 4s is that the yeti is a scaler-crawler with 1/10 driveline and axles, despite its near-1/8th scale proportions. It's gonna break alot more, and its high-speed handling (and jumping) is held back by the solid rear axle.

This is my yeti with the rtr non-sensored 3100kv motor, with stock gearing, 5" tall tires, but with the addition of the 2-speed. Low speed operation is pretty good.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:14 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

I have the MonsterX/ Holmes 3500 Puller Pro XL in mine and run it almost exclusively on 3s. I also have a boat load of other mods but this is now my wildest, most reliable and favorite rc car. It's been one tough beast so far worth every penny to me.
Rumpelhardt is offline   Reply With Quote

Can't decide which motor.... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can't decide what brushless motor to buy Crazysammi87 Axial SCX-10 27 08-29-2015 11:04 PM
Can't decide on motor choice Bogncrawl Electronics 6 02-13-2013 04:00 PM
Can't decide motor to go with RC4WD 2 Speed Tranny Brian@CRC Axial Wraith 0 02-01-2013 11:06 AM
How to decide on ESC, Motor, Receivers etc prashanth Newbie General 1 07-06-2009 08:05 PM