Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Not having much luck with RTR electronics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2018, 12:16 AM   #1

Default Not having much luck with RTR electronics

So after axial sent new replacement motor, my yeti is spazzing out. Installed new motor, all connection the same and all bad. The esc sounds muzzled when turning on or programming. The the wheel on transmitter controls the throttle and trigger controls steering. Nothing different other than bad motor out of the box and a spectrum s6230 servo. Any thoughts? New yeti 11.4 and only 4-5 maybe 4.5 battery runs.
Spud805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2018, 01:48 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Not having much luck with RTR electronics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud805 View Post
So after axial sent new replacement motor, my yeti is spazzing out. Installed new motor, all connection the same and all bad. The esc sounds muzzled when turning on or programming. The the wheel on transmitter controls the throttle and trigger controls steering. Nothing different other than bad motor out of the box and a spectrum s6230 servo. Any thoughts? New yeti 11.4 and only 4-5 maybe 4.5 battery runs.
Sounds like you have the servo and the esc in the wrong plugs in the receiver.

That servo will also need an external bec as it will overheat or damage the rtr esc at full draw, if it has not already.

It is a process of elimination; connect only the esc to the rx, and see what the lights and motor does.

Then just the steering servo, etc.

Do you have other rc spares to use for troubleshooting?
DavidH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 01:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud805 View Post

Sounds to me like you have the ESC plugged into the servo channel of the receiver and vice versa... that would explain the swapped controls.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
pterodaktyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 04:37 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Agree with both responses. Let us know what happens after you swap the wires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nastyman211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 05:52 AM   #5

If your wheel controls the trottle and the trigger controls the steering that's something you did wrong. We've all been there. Steering is always channel 1 (plus the servo in there) and throttle is channel 2 (plus the ESC in there).

Axial sells the worst RTR electronics in all of RC in my experience. They are absolute garbage. That's why your motor died. Instead of having the next motor or ESC fail on the trail do yourself a favor and upgrade. Buy a HobbyWing WP1080 ESC and any other brushed motor. They are guaranteed to last longer than anything Axial puts in their trucks.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:19 AM   #6

Thanks all, the only thing I did was unplugged the tactical servo and plugged in the new one. Then installed new motor. All things were plugged into the same slots. At first turn on this is what happened. Lame.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:09 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

this reminds me i still have the stock esc and motor in my RTR. i only had the ESC shut down for thermal once on a hot san diego summer day, crawling over softball sized rocks with a ton of wheel speed.

but yeah i have read tons of horror stories here of the stock axial yeti ESC puffing smoke, and some even melting or catching the whole rig on fire!

i will probably put a hobby wing in there. if i keep the yeti. and if i do its getting a baja makeover.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:31 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Stock Motor is brushless so the hw1080 is not the solution.
The Yeti Stock ESC/Motor Combo is only 2 s capable, even If axial says also 3s.
Basically it's a CC Sidewinder esc, it's rated 2s only for Motors > 3000kv ( Stock is 3100 KV).
With 3s it's on, if not over the ESC Limit.
I started with the CC Combo with the 1410 3800kv, but before i went 3s i changed ESC to a CC mmx.
If you want to to go 3s, which is the sweet spot in my eyes for the Yeti. Change the ESC to a Mamba x.

Send by my Pixel 2 XL with Tapatalk

Last edited by magic_yeti; 01-09-2018 at 12:01 PM.
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 04:23 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I had the rtr electronics in my yeti for over a year, but for the servo that died within the first few weeks. The radio worked fine, and I only changed that to support the four-wheel steering. The radio and replacement tactic servo are going into my bomber.

Just as computers don't necessarily fail when you overclock them, or servos when you overvolt them, the rtr esc serves its purpose even if it is slight out of spec in the yeti, and would not stand up to being overgeared. I ran mine for a year and the only issue was heat when crawling, which was solved with the 2-speed upgrade and a small computer fan installed over the esc.

I did install a castle 10A bec to handle the bigger faster servo.

The 3100kv motor is in the sweet spot for an 8 lb yeti. Knowing what I know now I would (had it been available) first replace the esc with a Castle Mamba X, which will easily handle the demands of the motor and the bigger servo. It has the cool aux wire function (remote control of the drag brake etc), and its ready for when and if you upgrade to a sensored motor.

Check/switch the plugs on the receiver, and see if that helps.
DavidH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 05:07 PM   #10

I installed a 10 amp BEC andnprogrammed it to 6 amps and all issues resolved. Thanks for all your help and input.

Not having much luck with RTR electronics - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
rtr electronics issues??? jdoubleu80 Axial Wraith 13 02-12-2013 03:50 AM
RTR Electronics ? OfnaJoe Axial Wraith 9 12-06-2011 07:42 AM
If it weren't for bad LUCK I wouldn't have any luck at all redrokin00XJ Redcat Crawlers 10 02-06-2011 11:18 AM