Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: To yeti or not to yeti.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2018, 11:29 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default To yeti or not to yeti.

Currently I have a maxed out slash 4x4 and a slash 2wd.

I'm thinking of selling one and getting ayeti.

Are Yetis ok for general bashing around or are they too brittle.

If not I'll sell the 2wd and keep the 4x4 for bashing.. but then not sure if the yeti is too similar.

I don't want the truck one, just the normal yeti and I'd get a kit.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Spunkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2018, 06:15 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: To yeti or not to yeti.

I enjoyed building my Yeti Kit
Crazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 06:35 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazed View Post
I enjoyed building my Yeti Kit
Yeah I love building kits. My concern is how tough it is.
I don't jump high but I cant afford to fix it everytime I run it.

How has your experience been with it?

I'm a bit over my 4x4 slash as my ownly truck (2wd just sits unused) and wanting something more scale looking/driving for when I don't feel like driving to the local BMX track.

This is my slash

It's on 1/8 power and a blast to drive.

Old 03-18-2018, 11:11 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

To tell the truth I haven't done any of the driving that this thing is designed for, I have crawled up some of my hills and haven't got out onto my fast track with it yet.

I changed out the front arms with some reinforced RPM arms..

my build thread is on here somewhere..

Crazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 12:53 PM   #5

Hi there,

long story short - no.

stock/kit yeti breaks when bashed. it is expensive rig to maintain and mod. it will have worse characteristics than slash when it comes to driving and will not crawl as good as you would like it to. but i love mine so i dont care.

if you are tired of go fast rigs get a dedicated crawler and chill with it. this is what my friend did and is having a blast
dreadMoros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 07:34 PM   #6
33m
Pebble Pounder

Don't get a Yeti, it will break too easily. How about something from Arrma?
33m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:27 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

After owning a kit Yeti, numerous Slashes, and a number of other vehicles...

The Yeti doesn't sound like the right vehicle for you. Once you buy a Yeti, you'll need to spend another $500 at least, to be able to bash with it without it breaking all of the time.

The Yeti is more for a guy who likes scale building, and wants to see it drive from time time, but who will probably drive it very carefully because he spent $1,000 on it.

Your Slash 4X4 is perfect for what you're describing, so here is what I recommend:

Get creative, and make your Slash 4X4 into something scale. Heck, you can even mount the Yeti cage, to the Slash 4X4 chassis. It takes some doing, but I've seen it done. I mounted the Yeti cage to my Slash 2X4, and also to my 1/8 scale buggy. It looks rad, and bashes like hell on wheels. If I drove the Yeti the way I drive my 1/8 scale buggy, I'd rarely make it through a battery.

In my opinion, Axial makes weak vehicles, but their roll cages are strong and look great. Mounting an Axial cage onto a basher chassis really gets you a sweet all-around vehicle that combines scale looks, with reliability.

Last edited by Fallen; 03-20-2018 at 07:29 PM.
Fallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:33 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen View Post
After owning a kit Yeti, numerous Slashes, and a number of other vehicles...

The Yeti doesn't sound like the right vehicle for you. Once you buy a Yeti, you'll need to spend another $500 at least, to be able to bash with it without it breaking all of the time.

The Yeti is more for a guy who likes scale building, and wants to see it drive from time time, but who will probably drive it very carefully because he spent $1,000 on it.

Your Slash 4X4 is perfect for what you're describing, so here is what I recommend:

Get creative, and make your Slash 4X4 into something scale. Heck, you can even mount the Yeti cage, to the Slash 4X4 chassis. It takes some doing, but I've seen it done. I mounted the Yeti cage to my Slash 2X4, and also to my 1/8 scale buggy. It looks rad, and bashes like hell on wheels. If I drove the Yeti the way I drive my 1/8 scale buggy, I'd rarely make it through a battery.

In my opinion, Axial makes weak vehicles, but their roll cages are strong and look great. Mounting an Axial cage onto a basher chassis really gets you a sweet all-around vehicle that combines scale looks, with reliability.
Yeah I was actually watching videos today about mounting a yeti cage on my sl4sh.

I used to own a honcho and loved it but the local people all went comps only and never went out for fun and I wasn't interested so I sold it..

I then got a twin hammers which I absolutely loved and only sold it because everyone around here who didn't do crawling moved to short course trucks and I was only allowed to get one if I sold something to buy it (married, 2 kids, single income, mortgage) and have to keep the wife happy.

Now the SCT people havelved on to FPV drones *sigh* which I'm not interested in.

I'm about to get close to 2k in overtime money so for the first time I may be able to buy a new kit to build.

The way I see it is my slash is for med-fast to OMG!! And I'm wanting something for the days I want to slow it down but not get another SCX10

Old 03-20-2018, 11:37 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Then you might actually turn out liking the Yeti. If driven as a low to medium speed vehicle, it's pretty reliable and fun. You can really scale it out too.

After breaking numerous parts, and always having to fix mine, I ditched the high speed electronics. I then set it up to only have enough wheel speed to hop the rear wheels over obstacles when rock bouncing. It never broke again after that, and it made a pretty fun rock bouncer. But a reliable basher, the Yeti isn't, unless you drop more dough on it than your wife will tolerate.

By the way, my electronic set-up to bring the Yeti to that "good rock bouncer" speed was a 3300kv motor on a 2S battery, geared conservatively.
Fallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 02:34 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Yeti needs some essential parts but they can be pretty reliable. Once you have the links and HD gears and a decent ESC 3S is fine. Have some mechanical sympathy and don’t try to actively break it and it’ll likely last ages.
CoolRunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 06:20 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Have you considered a Losi Rock Rey kit? Not quite as scale as a Yeti, but generally more durable (or at least it has fewer weak points to address). $300 for the kit is a nice price IMO.
TooOldForThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 06:23 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

I love my yeti. Its running on 5200 3s with upgraded 18t Robinson racing hardened pinion gear. Has rc4wd hd stock ratio gears inside a ssd centered rear axle. Axial front universals. Vp steering rack and vp rack kit. Axial aluminum servo horn. And some trail rewd ifd wheels with vp slw hardware. And incison rear upper linksIve bashed it pretty hard. Like not giving a **** driving. Only broke 1 c hub from hitting the curb. And stripped pit the stock rear ring and pinion. Its never let me down. I am noticing the rear lower links are starting to split.. i think its a great rig.. its def not made for high speed cornering on the street tho. Maybe some tuning amd front sway bar. But in the dirt/mud/rocks and the bmx track. Its pretty fun.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
wcdfmt510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:02 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooOldForThis View Post
Have you considered a Losi Rock Rey kit? Not quite as scale as a Yeti, but generally more durable (or at least it has fewer weak points to address). $300 for the kit is a nice price IMO.
I didn't know it came in kit form!!! I love the rock rey. I just checked and it's $500au for the kit or $750 RTR.

I already have a combo and servo for it so that may be the way to go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcdfmt510 View Post
I love my yeti. Its running on 5200 3s with upgraded 18t Robinson racing hardened pinion gear. Has rc4wd hd stock ratio gears inside a ssd centered rear axle. Axial front universals. Vp steering rack and vp rack kit. Axial aluminum servo horn. And some trail rewd ifd wheels with vp slw hardware. And incison rear upper linksIve bashed it pretty hard. Like not giving a **** driving. Only broke 1 c hub from hitting the curb. And stripped pit the stock rear ring and pinion. Its never let me down. I am noticing the rear lower links are starting to split.. i think its a great rig.. its def not made for high speed cornering on the street tho. Maybe some tuning amd front sway bar. But in the dirt/mud/rocks and the bmx track. Its pretty fun.[
Sounds like the yeti isn't as soft as some people are saying.

Near my place there is a fire trail which leads to an old abandoned quarry which is where I used to bash my twin hammers. The hammers had too many quirks but overall it performed great so this is why I was thinking a new rock racer.

Old 03-21-2018, 08:07 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

The rock rey idnt that good imo. My buddy has the rtr. And literally Everytime he runs it something breaks. All the diffs broke(different times). Rear ring and pinion stripped then front stripped. Front knuckles broke. The avc is horrible.. the tires balloon really bad. And glue rips the tires. He really regrets buying it..

Old 03-21-2018, 08:14 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
The rock rey idnt that good imo. My buddy has the rtr. And literally Everytime he runs it something breaks. All the diffs broke(different times). Rear ring and pinion stripped then front stripped. Front knuckles broke. The avc is horrible.. the tires balloon really bad. And glue rips the tires. He really regrets buying it..

How does he drive his car?
I drive my car's in a "I live in Australia and parts cost a lot and likely need to come from overseas" way.

To date the only parts I have broken on any RC is spur gears from sand and motor mount slipping and rear plastic drive shafts on my 4x4 slash (now have steel MIP shafts and 17mm adapters) from running 2.8 badlands with a 2200kv 1/8 motor.

So with this in mind would you say I'm likely to break anything on either a yeti or rock rey?

Old 03-21-2018, 08:16 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunkybob View Post
How does he drive his car?
I drive my car's in a "I live in Australia and parts cost a lot and likely need to come from overseas" way.

To date the only parts I have broken on any RC is spur gears from sand and motor mount slipping and rear plastic drive shafts on my 4x4 slash (now have steel MIP shafts and 17mm adapters) from running 2.8 badlands with a 2200kv 1/8 motor.

So with this in mind would you say I'm likely to break anything on either a yeti or rock rey?

Bashes not as hard as me. He runs 3s. And its like the motor is to powerful for the car..

Old 03-21-2018, 08:53 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Bashes not as hard as me. He runs 3s. And its like the motor is to powerful for the car..

Ok see how I go.
What I like is the aluminium chassis plate.

Still comes down to what the wife says.

Old 03-21-2018, 09:21 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunkybob View Post
Ok see how I go.
What I like is the aluminium chassis plate.

Still comes down to what the wife says.

Ya i do how the rock rey has aluminum chassis compared to the yeti plastic. But i dont regret buying my yeti one bit....i usually just do side jobs to pay for my rc stuff. Lol

Last edited by wcdfmt510; 03-21-2018 at 09:24 PM.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:02 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Just remember a 3S Rock Rey is like a 4S 3800kv Yeti in regards to speed. Now imagine how a totally stock yeti with no mods would hold up to that? It would shred itself every run.

Not saying one is 'better' than the other but I own both and both are reliable.

2S on the stock RR is 3S on the stock 3150kv Yeti. They are JUST as fast as each other like this.

I've run a dozen 3S packs on my RR and many 2S and it's still totally stock. It's been a great truck. The Yeti is also really reliable but has heaps of small mods.

If you want an insane truck, get a RR, run 3S, get the SSD third member and bulkhead, some good wheels and go from there. Remember, it's way faster than a Yeti on 3S. We're talking 50% quicker so naturally it's going to be much harder on the truck. Apples to Oranges IMO. The RR does jump a lot better than the Yeti but I'd buy a stunt truck for bashing rather than try to destroy something not built for single minded abuse.
CoolRunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 12:19 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Hi all, thanks for the inputs.

Few big bills ahve come in so not sure I can get anything now.

I'm thinking either a yeti XL or a Rock Rey now.

Seems the RR is more what I'm after as it seems fairly tough strait out of the box.

I only own 3s lipos so if I'd need to spend a bucket load of extra money on a yeti to make it tougher then it's not cost effective.

Everything costs way more in Australia already.

To yeti or not to yeti. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Life of one YETI - Tom Frajer's Axial Yeti build log TomFrajer Axial Yeti 320 05-22-2017 09:01 PM