Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Jimbo's Yeti kit project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2018, 08:46 AM   #1

Default Jimbo's Yeti kit project

I've had my eye on a Yeti for a while now, and a few months ago when the kit was discontinued, I decided that I needed to jump on it.

While I was assembling my parts, I bought a few upgrade pieces, though not all of them are installed yet.

Here's the parts list:
- Stock Yeti kit
- Hobbystar Pro4 3000kv sensored SCT motor
- Castle Mamba X ESC
- Promodeler 470 servo
- STRC knuckles
- STRC caster blocks
- MFR trailing arms
- RPM front A-arms (not installed yet)
- 4mm hinge pins (not installed yet)
- ebay LED light controller & LED lights (not installed yet)
- Jato rod ends (not installed yet)
- Crawler Innovations Deuces Wild CWR-3003 foams with stock wheels & tires

Upcoming mods:
- New wheels
- Pitbull Rock Beast XOR tires
- Better servo steering link
- Eliminate servo saver

The build ended up a bit rushed because I wanted it done before I went away on vacation (I leave tomorrow), so not all of my upgrades are installed. Between coaching my son's football team and doing normal summer (and now fall) activities, I haven't had a lot of time to work on putting together the truck. As I was building it I assembled it with the STRC knuckles & caster blocks, and I used the MFR trailing arms in place of the stock noodles. When I get back from vacation I will cut down some Jato rod ends to replace all of the stock Axial rod ends, and I'll drill the a-arms & mounts out to accept the 4mm hinge pins. Lastly, I'll finish installing the LEDs and the LED controller.

For the body, I wanted to maintain the Orange Kryptek theme that I used on my Bomber and on the Gen7. The body is painted a 2-tone color that mimics the stock Yeti decal scheme, but in Duratrax Candy orange along with the black at the back. The paint job was rushed, which is NEVER a good idea with candy paints, but it still looks great in the pictures.

The Orange Kryptek is from the same vinyl wrap sheet that had left over from the old projects.

I didn't take any build pics because by now everybody's seen how a Yeti goes together. Here are a couple pics from when I was getting the body together:

Interior. When I get time I'll paint up the skull helmets, but these were easier for now:

Pic of the trailing arms:

Pic of the STRC parts up front:

And, here she is in her last pictures prior to getting dirty and banged up:

As I begin to use the truck I'll update the thread, especially as I begin to upgrade & replace parts. I'll have a few videos of the truck soon too.

I can't wait to use the truck.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2018, 09:07 AM   #2

Default Re: Jimbo's Yeti kit project

That is way too pretty to get messed up and dirty! Nicely built.
vipers28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 10:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
I've had my eye on a Yeti for a while now, and a few months ago when the kit was discontinued, I decided that I needed to jump on it.

While I was assembling my parts, I bought a few upgrade pieces, though not all of them are installed yet.

Here's the parts list:
- Stock Yeti kit
- Hobbystar Pro4 3000kv sensored SCT motor
- Castle Mamba X ESC
- Promodeler 470 servo
- STRC knuckles
- STRC caster blocks
- MFR trailing arms
- RPM front A-arms (not installed yet)
- 4mm hinge pins (not installed yet)
- ebay LED light controller & LED lights (not installed yet)
- Jato rod ends (not installed yet)
- Crawler Innovations Deuces Wild CWR-3003 foams with stock wheels & tires

Upcoming mods:
- New wheels
- Pitbull Rock Beast XOR tires
- Better servo steering link
- Eliminate servo saver

The build ended up a bit rushed because I wanted it done before I went away on vacation (I leave tomorrow), so not all of my upgrades are installed. Between coaching my son's football team and doing normal summer (and now fall) activities, I haven't had a lot of time to work on putting together the truck. As I was building it I assembled it with the STRC knuckles & caster blocks, and I used the MFR trailing arms in place of the stock noodles. When I get back from vacation I will cut down some Jato rod ends to replace all of the stock Axial rod ends, and I'll drill the a-arms & mounts out to accept the 4mm hinge pins. Lastly, I'll finish installing the LEDs and the LED controller.

For the body, I wanted to maintain the Orange Kryptek theme that I used on my Bomber and on the Gen7. The body is painted a 2-tone color that mimics the stock Yeti decal scheme, but in Duratrax Candy orange along with the black at the back. The paint job was rushed, which is NEVER a good idea with candy paints, but it still looks great in the pictures.

The Orange Kryptek is from the same vinyl wrap sheet that had left over from the old projects.

I didn't take any build pics because by now everybody's seen how a Yeti goes together. Here are a couple pics from when I was getting the body together:

Interior. When I get time I'll paint up the skull helmets, but these were easier for now:

Pic of the trailing arms:

Pic of the STRC parts up front:

And, here she is in her last pictures prior to getting dirty and banged up:

As I begin to use the truck I'll update the thread, especially as I begin to upgrade & replace parts. I'll have a few videos of the truck soon too.

I can't wait to use the truck.
What did you use for 4mm hinge pins?, mine were bent and i got stock replacements but they're pretty flimsy.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
dgechrgr469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 07:46 PM   #4

I bought some M4x60mm 12.9 bolts on Ebay. I haven't installed them yet though because I need to get the right size drill bit.
Old 10-05-2018, 02:13 PM   #5

Today I drove the Yeti for the first time. 2 minutes in, I lost a wheel. The wheel separated from the center piece. I over tightened the 6 screws and they ended up pulling through the wheel. I reattached it with some M3 washers on the screws and it's holding together so far, but I'm guessing Ill be gluing the center section in soon.

After driving for a while, one of the ball ends on the steering servo linkage pulled off the turnbuckle. I had some Traxxas ends in my tool kit so I'm back ip and running for now.

Overall I'm really enjoying this truck.
Old 10-13-2018, 10:45 AM   #6

New trailing video is up!
Old 10-30-2018, 02:58 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Nice video
niro750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 07:00 AM   #8

I haven't really made many changes to the Yeti since I first built it, but I am starting to work on it a bit now as part of a comparison video series that I'm doing between the Yeti and a Hobbyking Desert Fox. In this first video, I replaced the stock wheels and tires with a set of Ebay beadlocks and a set of Pitbull Rock Beast XOR tires with Crawler Innovations foams.

Old 02-26-2019, 09:50 AM   #9
Go Buckeyes!

Great looking Yeti build! Just watched your video and subcribed! Looking forward to more!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 04:43 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Yep, shes a looker for sure!
Rockwolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Jimbo's Yeti kit project - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial Yeti kit vs Los Rock Rey kit Dawson4 General Crawlers 15 11-12-2017 01:53 PM
Jimbo's Bomber Fab(ish) TTS Buggy (Australia) sierrajim 1.9 Scale Rigs 14 03-28-2012 11:50 PM