Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Any use the SSD D60 axle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2018, 08:28 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Any use the SSD D60 axle?

Thinking about changing over to the SSD D60 rearend with HD wideners, is anyone running one? Smoked my plastic carrier and locker, so it's out of the truck anyhow for a rebuild. As much as I like the Vanquish Curries, I can't justify dropping that kind of money right now
Oxide80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2018, 12:01 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Any use the SSD D60 axle?

Yep. I've been running one since they came out (1 1/2 years?) in my Wraith, formerly brushless/4s sand toy, now brushed crawler. After that much daily use, I finally ground through the bottom of the housing, E6000 and a scrap of sheet metal solved that. No complaints whatsoever.

A friend of mine also runs one in the back of his Yeti TT with the wide axle conversion kit, and it hasn't had any issues at all. That truck gets run at the local track (which resembles demolition derby more often than not!) about once a month, and goes to the dunes often as well (think: "Thelma and Louise" jumps!)
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 12:47 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Thanks, got one on order,
Old 10-04-2018, 02:21 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I used one in a Wraith. Great axle. While it is not as strong as an aluminum axle it is definitely a huge step up from the stocker.

Last edited by Rumpelhardt; 10-04-2018 at 02:27 PM.
Rumpelhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 02:53 PM   #5
SSD
RCC Addict

Thanks guys. A new aluminium upper link mount/truss for the HD D60 rear axle will be released next week. Waiting for photos to be done...
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 04:02 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
Yep. I've been running one since they came out (1 1/2 years?) in my Wraith, formerly brushless/4s sand toy, now brushed crawler. After that much daily use, I finally ground through the bottom of the housing, E6000 and a scrap of sheet metal solved that. No complaints whatsoever.

A friend of mine also runs one in the back of his Yeti TT with the wide axle conversion kit, and it hasn't had any issues at all. That truck gets run at the local track (which resembles demolition derby more often than not!) about once a month, and goes to the dunes often as well (think: "Thelma and Louise" jumps!)
Is there a matching one for the front? And doesn’t a centered pumpkin reduce crawling capability? Is it purely for scale looking purposes?

I am interested because my plastics are close to being worn through as well. But like you there is no way I’m spending that amount of money on RC / vanquish axles.
Mendoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 04:37 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD View Post
Thanks guys. A new aluminium upper link mount/truss for the HD D60 rear axle will be released next week. Waiting for photos to be done...
I'd be really interested in that aluminum upper link mount/truss. It'd make me worry less about the link mount area on hard impacts/landings.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 05:01 AM   #8
SSD
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza View Post
Is there a matching one for the front? And doesn’t a centered pumpkin reduce crawling capability? Is it purely for scale looking purposes?

I am interested because my plastics are close to being worn through as well. But like you there is no way I’m spending that amount of money on RC / vanquish axles.

A matching front axle was designed but never produced because we didn't think it would sell enough as it would be too similar to the stock front axle. For the front to match you can use this diff cover on the front axle:

HD D60 Front Diff Cover for Wraith / SMT10 / Bomber (Black)

Centered pumpkin does not reduce capability at all and it is more scale and stronger than the stock rear. Overall a better design and product.
Old 10-05-2018, 08:53 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Thanks SSD and the rest that responded. Looking forward to trying it out!
Old 10-12-2018, 03:19 AM   #10
SSD
RCC Addict

Just released the aluminum upper mount for the HD D60 centered rear: *HD D60 Centered Rear Axle Aluminium Upper Mount

Last edited by SSD; 10-12-2018 at 03:22 AM.
Old 10-12-2018, 06:57 AM   #11
Yashua

Yes it's a great housing and really makes the rear of my rig look "correct".

And yes too on the front diff cover, makes it a round house match.
Attached Images

Last edited by CREEPERBOB; 10-12-2018 at 07:06 AM.
CREEPERBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:00 AM   #12
Yashua

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
I'd be really interested in that aluminum upper link mount/truss. It'd make me worry less about the link mount area on hard impacts/landings.

The standard rear truss is very substantial.
CREEPERBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:15 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREEPERBOB View Post
The standard rear truss is very substantial.
Yeah my current one is working fine, but the original one that came with my axle was really soft for some reason or maybe had a stress on it that caused it to crack when putting the screw into the mount. Anyway, I think it was a one off defective part and Chris took care of me with a replacement which is working fine.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:42 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Had my ssd d60 rear axle almost 2 years now and its holding up GREAT! You simply can't go wrong for this price. I jad a vanquish axle on there but the shafts bent. For the cost of new shafts I got a whole new axle set! And its lighter, reducing rear unsprung weight and that means less bronco bucking!

Thanks ssd!

*note you will have to flip your front diff so they spin the same direction! Then swap 2 wires on your motor but it's a piece of cake and WORTH IT!

** Found a pic of my d60 equipped yeti...

Last edited by Shinchu; 11-12-2018 at 11:34 AM.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 11:32 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
Had my ssd d60 rear axle almost 2 years now and its holding up GREAT! You simply can't go wrong for this price. I jad a vanquish axle on there but the shafts bent. For the cost of new shafts I got a whole new axle set! And its lighter, reducing rear unsprung weight and that means less bronco bucking!

Thanks ssd!

*note you will have to flip your front diff so they spin the same direction! Then swap 2 wires on your motor but it's a piece of cake and WORTH IT!
Unless you run a sensored system...
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 01:33 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

I’m thinking about getting the D60 and the front diff cover for my wraith but have a couple of questions before ordering. Nothing more annoying than ordering new stuff and realise your missing something when you start to build.

According to the description it takes a larger pinion input bearing - what size do I need?

I’ve note above you need to reverse motor rotation and flip front axle? I’m running sensored

Do I get to keep running my vanquish lockouts?

Last edited by Mendoza; 11-19-2018 at 01:35 PM.
Old 11-19-2018, 02:03 PM   #17
RCC Addict

The larger 13mm pinion bearing is included. Your ginormous AR60 lockouts are no longer needed since the D60HD was designed specifically as a full width rear axle. The front diff needs the ring gear on the passenger side (umm maybe not since you are in upside down land?... looking straight at the front of the car, ring gear on left side) to spin the same direction as the D60HD rear axle. Can't comment on motor rotation since I don't know what direction you're currently running, but mine is still running standard rotation.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 07:24 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Lol... upside down land.

The Wraith is an American vehicle and I haven’t done a conversion therefore the ring gear remains on the (US) passenger side as you’ve described.

I could be wrong but I didn’t think the d60 comes with the pinion input bearing, only drive shaft bearings?
Old 11-21-2018, 09:42 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

i literally dropped my pumpkin guts right in, and was off and driving once i flipped the front diff and motor wires.
no more lockouts going loose on me and bending shafts. its lighter and reduced bronco bucking effect.
again this SSD axle replaced a vanquish axle on my yeti and i couldn't be more happy.

HUGE rooster tails of wet sand on the beach. this rear end is the business. you wont be disappointed.

Last edited by Shinchu; 11-21-2018 at 09:45 AM.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 07:12 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

Got my Yeti all set up with the HD60, it looks good, now just waiting until spring and take it out trailing! At some point I will be getting one for my Bomber and sons Wraith. Thanks for the help!

Any use the SSD D60 axle? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SSD D60 axle question Truckmechanic304 Axial SCX-10 6 05-28-2016 02:13 PM
New SSD Rear Axle Shafts for D60 Wide Axle (XR) SSD Axial SCX-10 0 05-17-2016 10:51 AM
Offset SSD D60 axle ctrwannabe General Crawlers 18 04-07-2016 08:58 PM