RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial Yeti (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-yeti/)
-   -   Any use the SSD D60 axle? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-yeti/602703-any-use-ssd-d60-axle.html)

Oxide80 10-04-2018 08:28 AM

Any use the SSD D60 axle?

Thinking about changing over to the SSD D60 rearend with HD wideners, is anyone running one? Smoked my plastic carrier and locker, so it's out of the truck anyhow for a rebuild. As much as I like the Vanquish Curries, I can't justify dropping that kind of money right now

TheLetterJ 10-04-2018 12:01 PM

Re: Any use the SSD D60 axle?

Yep. I've been running one since they came out (1 1/2 years?) in my Wraith, formerly brushless/4s sand toy, now brushed crawler. After that much daily use, I finally ground through the bottom of the housing, E6000 and a scrap of sheet metal solved that. No complaints whatsoever.

A friend of mine also runs one in the back of his Yeti TT with the wide axle conversion kit, and it hasn't had any issues at all. That truck gets run at the local track (which resembles demolition derby more often than not!) about once a month, and goes to the dunes often as well (think: "Thelma and Louise" jumps!)

Oxide80 10-04-2018 12:47 PM

Thanks, got one on order,

Rumpelhardt 10-04-2018 02:21 PM

I used one in a Wraith. Great axle. While it is not as strong as an aluminum axle it is definitely a huge step up from the stocker.

SSD 10-04-2018 02:53 PM

Thanks guys. A new aluminium upper link mount/truss for the HD D60 rear axle will be released next week. Waiting for photos to be done...

Mendoza 10-04-2018 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLetterJ (Post 5873511)
Yep. I've been running one since they came out (1 1/2 years?) in my Wraith, formerly brushless/4s sand toy, now brushed crawler. After that much daily use, I finally ground through the bottom of the housing, E6000 and a scrap of sheet metal solved that. No complaints whatsoever.

A friend of mine also runs one in the back of his Yeti TT with the wide axle conversion kit, and it hasn't had any issues at all. That truck gets run at the local track (which resembles demolition derby more often than not!) about once a month, and goes to the dunes often as well (think: "Thelma and Louise" jumps!)

Is there a matching one for the front? And doesn’t a centered pumpkin reduce crawling capability? Is it purely for scale looking purposes?

I am interested because my plastics are close to being worn through as well. But like you there is no way I’m spending that amount of money on RC / vanquish axles.

soze 10-04-2018 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSD (Post 5873559)
Thanks guys. A new aluminium upper link mount/truss for the HD D60 rear axle will be released next week. Waiting for photos to be done...

I'd be really interested in that aluminum upper link mount/truss. It'd make me worry less about the link mount area on hard impacts/landings.

SSD 10-05-2018 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mendoza (Post 5873571)
Is there a matching one for the front? And doesn’t a centered pumpkin reduce crawling capability? Is it purely for scale looking purposes?

I am interested because my plastics are close to being worn through as well. But like you there is no way I’m spending that amount of money on RC / vanquish axles.

A matching front axle was designed but never produced because we didn't think it would sell enough as it would be too similar to the stock front axle. For the front to match you can use this diff cover on the front axle:

http://www.ssd-rc.com/images/hd%20d6...0cover%202.jpg

HD D60 Front Diff Cover for Wraith / SMT10 / Bomber (Black)

Centered pumpkin does not reduce capability at all and it is more scale and stronger than the stock rear. Overall a better design and product.

Oxide80 10-05-2018 08:53 AM

Thanks SSD and the rest that responded. Looking forward to trying it out!

SSD 10-12-2018 03:19 AM

Just released the aluminum upper mount for the HD D60 centered rear: *HD D60 Centered Rear Axle Aluminium Upper Mount

http://www.ssd-rc.com/images/d60%20u...mount%2032.jpg

CREEPERBOB 10-12-2018 06:57 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Yes it's a great housing and really makes the rear of my rig look "correct". "thumbsup"

And yes too on the front diff cover, makes it a round house match.

CREEPERBOB 10-12-2018 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soze (Post 5873577)
I'd be really interested in that aluminum upper link mount/truss. It'd make me worry less about the link mount area on hard impacts/landings.

The standard rear truss is very substantial.

soze 10-12-2018 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CREEPERBOB (Post 5875493)
The standard rear truss is very substantial.

Yeah my current one is working fine, but the original one that came with my axle was really soft for some reason or maybe had a stress on it that caused it to crack when putting the screw into the mount. Anyway, I think it was a one off defective part and Chris took care of me with a replacement which is working fine.

Shinchu 11-12-2018 09:42 AM

Had my ssd d60 rear axle almost 2 years now and its holding up GREAT! You simply can't go wrong for this price. I jad a vanquish axle on there but the shafts bent. For the cost of new shafts I got a whole new axle set! And its lighter, reducing rear unsprung weight and that means less bronco bucking!

Thanks ssd!

*note you will have to flip your front diff so they spin the same direction! Then swap 2 wires on your motor but it's a piece of cake and WORTH IT!

** Found a pic of my d60 equipped yeti...
http://i68.tinypic.com/2yv6rg6.jpg

Jim85IROC 11-12-2018 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shinchu (Post 5883838)
Had my ssd d60 rear axle almost 2 years now and its holding up GREAT! You simply can't go wrong for this price. I jad a vanquish axle on there but the shafts bent. For the cost of new shafts I got a whole new axle set! And its lighter, reducing rear unsprung weight and that means less bronco bucking!

Thanks ssd!

*note you will have to flip your front diff so they spin the same direction! Then swap 2 wires on your motor but it's a piece of cake and WORTH IT!

Unless you run a sensored system...

Mendoza 11-19-2018 01:33 PM

I’m thinking about getting the D60 and the front diff cover for my wraith but have a couple of questions before ordering. Nothing more annoying than ordering new stuff and realise your missing something when you start to build.

According to the description it takes a larger pinion input bearing - what size do I need?

I’ve note above you need to reverse motor rotation and flip front axle? I’m running sensored

Do I get to keep running my vanquish lockouts?

TheLetterJ 11-19-2018 02:03 PM

The larger 13mm pinion bearing is included. Your ginormous AR60 lockouts are no longer needed since the D60HD was designed specifically as a full width rear axle. The front diff needs the ring gear on the passenger side (umm maybe not since you are in upside down land?... looking straight at the front of the car, ring gear on left side) to spin the same direction as the D60HD rear axle. Can't comment on motor rotation since I don't know what direction you're currently running, but mine is still running standard rotation.

Mendoza 11-19-2018 07:24 PM

Lol... upside down land.

The Wraith is an American vehicle and I haven’t done a conversion therefore the ring gear remains on the (US) passenger side as you’ve described.

I could be wrong but I didn’t think the d60 comes with the pinion input bearing, only drive shaft bearings?

Shinchu 11-21-2018 09:42 AM

i literally dropped my pumpkin guts right in, and was off and driving once i flipped the front diff and motor wires.
no more lockouts going loose on me and bending shafts. its lighter and reduced bronco bucking effect.
again this SSD axle replaced a vanquish axle on my yeti and i couldn't be more happy.

HUGE rooster tails of wet sand on the beach. this rear end is the business. you wont be disappointed.

Oxide80 11-24-2018 07:12 PM

Got my Yeti all set up with the HD60, it looks good, now just waiting until spring and take it out trailing! At some point I will be getting one for my Bomber and sons Wraith. Thanks for the help!