Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Yeti RTR discontinued

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2019, 02:59 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Yeti RTR discontinued

I think i am solidly with the “love my Yeti “ posters here...that said, i am like many here, and enjoy modifying my rigs as much as running them! again, with that said, i dumped a huge amount of cash into both of my yeti projects. but my speed build runs a 3500kv HH motor on 3s and is really, most of the time, honestly just too fast and too powerful! The way i built it, its just plain heavy duty now (stress the heavy) and its still nose heavy in jumps...but applied power corrects that easily now, but it still has as a nasty habit of getting all twisted when im being ignorant or wicked....but it is truly a balls out blast most of the time.

i guess its documented enough about its weak points, but as stated, built right, i truly think the yeti has a place in this hobby and it would be a crying shame if it goes the way of the dinosaurs

JMHO
Rockwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2019, 01:30 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

mine is a love/hate relationship. hence my signature.

my father in law got me back into RC about 3 years ago when he let me drive his kit yeti. (sidewinder/1406 power on 3S)
i had an absolute HOOT and declared i would have one immediately.
2 months of ebay searching later (and tons of lurking here) i found an RTR with a ton of mods including VP rear axle for under $400 shipped. just needed batts (still RTR power though but its nearly as quick as my father in laws)
drove it like i stole it, broke all kinds of knuckles and chubs (now sporting SSD hubs but still need RPM arms with sleeve mod and new hinge pins that don't look like the stick from Willow), bent axle shafts, upgraded to SSD D60 centered... then got my first ascender.

a few rigs later and i nearly sold my yeti to fund another build or 3.
glad i hesitated.
always wanted to build some sort of baja/trophy truck.
now proline has this new 79 ford baja body and while its for a slash, we all know the TH links trick... you see where i'm going with this... ;)
some people would say sell it anyway and just go get a baja rey. and that's solid logic and its almost spelled the same as my last name. but its got sentimental value. and now they are endangered species. yup, she's a keeper.

my yeti will adapt, improvise, and overcome! - or... evolve? (missing link reference?)

(10 years from now we will be making posts in the non-crawler threads like "anyone still have their old yeti?" just like the RC-10 post there now.)

Last edited by Shinchu; 01-10-2019 at 01:35 PM.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 01:58 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

I've got 2 myself (kit and TT kit. TT kit still unbuilt). It was my first foray into this scale stuff coming from mostly Tamiya/Kyosho re-releases. I have fun with it, and I'll be keeping them.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 01:53 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

(10 years from now we will be making posts in the non-crawler threads like "anyone still have their old yeti?" just like the RC-10 post there now.)
I actually loved your whole posting, but im only quoting the last part because it completely illustrates my initial thoughts and my biggest fears on the Yeti front!

Well said my friend....well said.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:08 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Well I'm glad to still have my Yeti TT (RTR), its been fun and it got me into bashers a bit more than I likely would have been. I still have a clear retro TT body that I've been meaning to paint for a few years, its just such a huge body I keep putting it off. I also started of by heavily modifying it throwing away half of the rig, I did keep the electronics minus the servo and its been surprisingly reliable.

Its a shame to see so many rigs getting the axe lately but hopefully it opens the door for new interesting rigs.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 02:17 AM   #26
Rock Crawler

Is the Yeti really discontinued???

Once appropriately modified I've found mine really reliable. It needs the alum rear links/arms, alum front knuckles and links and steel diff gears, plus another ESC to not chew itself up. On 3S with the 3150kv motor it's only as fast as a completely stock 2S RR. Both good trucks IMPE.

I wonder if a Yeti Version 2.0 is in the works. If so, I hope it's 2 speed from the get go with a waterproof sensored brushless system stock and it's RELIABLE stock like a RR is. 3S Yeti/2S RR speed is fine stock IMPO. It just needs to crawl better than a V1 Yeti and be tough straight out the gate.
CoolRunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:58 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwolf View Post
I actually loved your whole posting, but im only quoting the last part because it completely illustrates my initial thoughts and my biggest fears on the Yeti front!

Well said my friend....well said.
I'll have bought 200 more RCs by then.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:07 AM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I'll have bought 200 more RCs by then.

A fair point....though personally I tend to hold onto things I like. I believe i have issues letting go and just moving on. That said, i bought my first Yeti, a V1 RTR, as the first one that hit the shelf in my LHS. So i cannot say that i dont enjoy trying new things! So I too will likely have a few new rigs by the time the Yeti platform vanishes (if it even truly does as that seems speculative still). but i still will morn the loss none the less....
Old 01-12-2019, 10:21 AM   #29
I wanna be Dave

I can count on 1 hand how many off road rigs I have owned. (Including my childhood Blackfoot I wish I still had)
Some of us cant devote entirely to rc due to income limitations or family size... For me its both plus its not my only hobby.
That said, if I pull the trigger on a rig, it means I REALLY like it.
I wish I could own 200 rc cars in the next ten years but that would mean I won the lotto or something lol
I get the point though. And it kinda drives mine home even more.
10 years and 200 rc cars later... Anyone still have their old yeti?
Old 01-12-2019, 03:32 PM   #30
RCC Addict

I will never sell my little monster, every time i drive it i have a smile from one ear to the other. It's massive fun and it's my first rig (the froggy don't count ).... and i love the look.
No2 is in the work ......

Sadly what happens to the axial product line, and the availability of axial parts...... But a Yeti 2.0 would be nice if done right....

And i'm sure, i can say in 10 years yes i still drive my Little Monster

Last edited by magic_yeti; 01-12-2019 at 05:38 PM.
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 04:26 PM   #31
Pebble Pounder

An independent front suspension version of the Bomber would get my vote as long as they didn't discontinue the solid axle version to do it.

Last edited by Rumpelhardt; 01-12-2019 at 04:29 PM.
Rumpelhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 08:30 AM   #32
I wanna be Dave

yeah they could really use KOH to drive sales of that. that's a cool idea. you hear that, axial???!

they could just release an IFS kit like they do with their 2 speed transmissions.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:35 PM   #33

I seem to be the only person who doesn't want an IFS Bomber to replace the Yeti. I HATE HATE HATE working on my Bomber because it's a bitch to take off the cage every time I want to do something.

I'd be much happier with a Yeti that uses more robust front end components, perhaps from something in the Arrma camp for example.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:45 PM   #34
Pebble Pounder

It is going to be awful hard to beat the Yeti for ease of general maintenance. The Yeti does have it's share of idiosyncrasy's when it comes to more involved disassembly though. Particularly with the steering servo. My Bomber is easily my second favorite RC.

Last edited by Rumpelhardt; 01-15-2019 at 11:49 PM.
Rumpelhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 05:52 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelhardt View Post
It is going to be awful hard to beat the Yeti for ease of general maintenance. The Yeti does have it's share of idiosyncrasy's when it comes to more involved disassembly though. Particularly with the steering servo. My Bomber is easily my second favorite RC.
My Bomber is without a doubt my favorite RC. I just hate working on it.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:03 AM   #36

So apparently the Yeti RTR is NOT discontinued. Yesterday Horizon posted an ad for the Yeti on Facebook and I asked if it was discontinued and they said no. So, like any wise ass would do, I politely suggested that they update the Axial website, which says it's discontinued.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:15 AM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
So apparently the Yeti RTR is NOT discontinued. Yesterday Horizon posted an ad for the Yeti on Facebook and I asked if it was discontinued and they said no. So, like any wise ass would do, I politely suggested that they update the Axial website, which says it's discontinued.
Not discontinued*

*As long as we have them in stock, when that runs out then they are gone forever
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 10:23 AM   #38
RCC Addict

Axial has eliminated the Yeti:

all versions now under legacy

So only 4 Axial Models left

Last edited by magic_yeti; 01-18-2019 at 10:28 AM.
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 07:12 PM   #39
Quarry Creeper

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/attac...1&d=1547863297
I feel for you snow bound bashers, love the enthusiasm. I’m disappointed with its demise. I’m extremely fortunate to be able to use it for what it’s designed for......rock racing....
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/attac...1&d=1547863297
Sorry for double pic. Not sure what happened
Attached Images

Last edited by Cheez; 01-18-2019 at 07:14 PM.
Cheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 04:41 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
Oh that was you? Just came here to mention that ad.

Hopefully this means the SMT10 will come back.

Yeti RTR is listed on Horizon's website:

https://www.horizonhobby.com/1-10-ye...rtr-p-axid9026
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Yeti RTR discontinued - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yeti Jr discontinued? singletracksean Axial Yeti 7 08-01-2018 04:24 PM
Yeti RR Kit discontinued? soze Axial Yeti 6 05-28-2018 05:07 AM