Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Father & Son Project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2019, 07:35 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Father & Son Project

I’ve been wanting to do a build with my younger son for a while now. He’s always been very mechanically inclined and loves helping me with other things in the garage. I decided to do a Yeti because I think it bridges his need for speed and my love of crawlers. Hopefully this will draw him over to the dark side for good. Lol

I found a partially built Yeti on Fleabay that was missing a few parts. So it won’t be a full build but I’m okay with that. I went through everything and bagged parts according to page in the manual. Ordered a screw kit along with the other parts I need along with a new cage and body.

This is definitely going to be more of a Basher than a crawler, but I’m looking forward to taking him with me so he can try it on the rocks. I’ll be putting a sensored system in it because of that.

Hopefully we can get started soon, come on mailman!

Last edited by Frostman; 02-06-2019 at 07:41 AM.
Frostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2019, 07:46 AM   #2
Slow is the new Fast

Default Re: Father & Son Project

Cool. I love sharing the basement workshop with my son, building in the cold winter months. My kid is crawling through his RBK build at the moment.

, reclaimation projects are always interesting.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 07:53 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
Cool. I love sharing the basement workshop with my son, building in the cold winter months. My kid is crawling through his RBK build at the moment.

, reclaimation projects are always interesting.
That's awesome! Hopefully soon he will be that into it. Both of my boys have had Slash's for bashing for a long time, but they haven't gotten any further. My 8 year old has been getting really interested so I figured it was time to try.

And yes, it took me two hours sitting on my garage floor to sort through all the parts. Frustrating, but much better than attempting to find parts while building.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:43 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Killer man. I have a 5 year old and a 2 (almost 3) year old who are both really into RCs. Not very good and driving yet, but definitely into them. Ha ha!

Hope to build stuff with them when they get a little older too!
rattmobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 12:50 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattmobbins View Post
Killer man. I have a 5 year old and a 2 (almost 3) year old who are both really into RCs. Not very good and driving yet, but definitely into them. Ha ha!

They’ve got plenty of time to learn! My boys are 11 and 8 and they’ve been at it for quite a while. It’s more fun now that they help with repairs. Lol
Old 02-06-2019, 12:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattmobbins View Post

Haha yeah my daughter just turned 5 and has been really interested in my rc's lately. She helped my put proline big bores and rpm a arms on my 4x4 slash after i let her drive it and she crashed at full speed into a wall and broke the front right a arm. Ive been watching lots of youtube build and upgrade videos with her and she wants me to build a "slow truck" for her. So i think im now going to be doing 2 builds haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Norcalnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 04:08 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

That is exactly what I did with my 11 year old!! It was so great sharing the hobby with him and he loves taking his Yeti out with me and my youngest. Have fun and I’m sure he’ll enjoy it as much as you!!

-Cheers

Nastyman211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:04 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastyman211 View Post
That is exactly what I did with my 11 year old!! It was so great sharing the hobby with him and he loves taking his Yeti out with me and my youngest. Have fun and I’m sure he’ll enjoy it as much as you!!

-Cheers

I am hoping that he really enjoys this. I have involved the boys in the hobby a bit but never like this. He is already really excited, talking about how he wants to paint the body and come out with me to try it on the rocks. Most of the parts SHOULD come in by this weekend so we can get to work (fingers crossed).
Old 02-12-2019, 06:56 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Default Father & Son Project

Finally got to work a little on it today with him. I can already tell this process is going to be so much fun.

I decided on electronics finally.

Motor: Holmes Trailmaster Pro 3300
ESC: Castle Mamba X
Servo: Savox 0231

While I’ve always used and loved Holmes motors, I’ve never used a Mamba X or the 0231. So that will be new. When I left the hobby the MMP and RS Gen2 were the go to sensored ESCs. It’ll all be on 2s, I don’t trust him with 3s yet. lol

I’m still waiting on a couple parts (and the ESC will wait until next month) but I have gotten everything else including a shiny new clear yeti body for the boy to paint.

Last edited by Frostman; 02-12-2019 at 08:10 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:58 AM   #10
RCC Addict

the savöx 0231, is a little on the weak side if u use it as steering servo with the 2.2" tires. I would consider if savöx a 1210sg (that's what i use as steering servo but will replace it with a hh shv500 in the future). The 0231 i use as shift servo (way overpowered but ip67).

Instead of the trailmaster i would go with a Puller Pro BL 540 XL 3500 or a Puller Pro R 540-L Rock Crawler Motor (my choise after a 1410)

Looks like a good start with the build, have fun with your kid and the build

Last edited by magic_yeti; 02-13-2019 at 01:00 AM.
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 04:46 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Sounds fun! My son is to lazy to do any building, he just wants to drive... I have a 3000kv motor in my Yeti (Tekin Pro4HD), on 2S it's fast and plenty of fun, on 3S it's a monster! Faster than I can ever control.

I strongly recommend putting in a 2-speed gearbox somewhere down the line. Coupled with the MambaX aux wire crawler/rock racer mode, it makes the Yeti very versatile. With mine, I can both crawl at snail pace with 100% drag brake, then change into 2nd gear and race off stupidly fast, with 30% drag brake and therefore no risk of front rolls when letting go of the gas.
Antsiranean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 07:03 AM   #12

Awesome build with some awesome memories being made!

As for the Mamba X, you'll love it. There's no better ESC for a Yeti. The ability to control the drag brake and the reverse mode right from the controller is amazing. On my Yeti I've got it configured so that under around a 10 or 20% drag brake, it goes into F/B/R mode. Above that 10-20%, it's in normal F/R mode. When I'm bashing or doing any high speed trailing, I dial my drag brake all the way back and get F/B/R. When I'm trailing I'll turn up to a 30-50% drag brake, and when I want to crawl I just max the drag brake out. The versatility is amazing.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:26 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
Awesome build with some awesome memories being made!

As for the Mamba X, you'll love it. There's no better ESC for a Yeti. The ability to control the drag brake and the reverse mode right from the controller is amazing. On my Yeti I've got it configured so that under around a 10 or 20% drag brake, it goes into F/B/R mode. Above that 10-20%, it's in normal F/R mode. When I'm bashing or doing any high speed trailing, I dial my drag brake all the way back and get F/B/R. When I'm trailing I'll turn up to a 30-50% drag brake, and when I want to crawl I just max the drag brake out. The versatility is amazing.
It's been a lot of fun so far, we did a bit more work this afternoon. Just taking it a few steps at a time. That's awesome! I had no idea they could do that. I will definitely be setting this one up like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antsiranean View Post
Sounds fun! My son is to lazy to do any building, he just wants to drive... I have a 3000kv motor in my Yeti (Tekin Pro4HD), on 2S it's fast and plenty of fun, on 3S it's a monster! Faster than I can ever control.

I strongly recommend putting in a 2-speed gearbox somewhere down the line. Coupled with the MambaX aux wire crawler/rock racer mode, it makes the Yeti very versatile. With mine, I can both crawl at snail pace with 100% drag brake, then change into 2nd gear and race off stupidly fast, with 30% drag brake and therefore no risk of front rolls when letting go of the gas.
This kid is very mechanical, and he soaks stuff like this up. He has always been the kid to break toys to see how they work (I was too lol). I figured this could be right up his alley.

That's why I figured on the 3300, should be just right for him on 2s but I can throw my 3s packs in there and have a bit more fun. I will have to remember that about the Mamba X. There is so much more to them than I even know right now. Looking forward to trying the new technology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_yeti View Post
the savöx 0231, is a little on the weak side if u use it as steering servo with the 2.2" tires. I would consider if savöx a 1210sg (that's what i use as steering servo but will replace it with a hh shv500 in the future). The 0231 i use as shift servo (way overpowered but ip67). Instead of the trailmaster i would go with a Puller Pro BL 540 XL 3500 or a Puller Pro R 540-L Rock Crawler Motor (my choise after a 1410) Looks like a good start with the build, have fun with your kid and the build
For now he will just be running 2.2/3 SC Tires until we get a little deeper in this, so this servo should turn it ok for now. I am not looking for the best setup right now. He's 8, and with his track record for destruction I don't want to break the bank yet. lol
Old 02-14-2019, 09:05 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

We did sleeve the arms yesterday as I’ve seen that recommended regularly. He held them while I drilled them out. I cut the tube with my dremel. Then he helped me tap them in. I have some RPM arms that came with it but I’m going to wait on those to hopefully teach him a lesson about breaking and upgrading.

Any other helpful build tips like this for a new Yeti owner?

Old 02-14-2019, 12:29 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Building with the kids are always great. It for sure makes great memories and gives you a little bonding time. The mamba x, you'll love it. Lots of features it has and can do.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 12:55 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostman View Post

Any other helpful build tips like this for a new Yeti owner?

- Get some CI Duece Wild foams for the 2.2 tires if you switch to them
- If u stay with the stock ar60 axle get some beeftubes
- Get some metal rear upperlinks (SSD, Vanquish or incision...) have ssd and vanquish both are great. the stock ones break on mine easily on a light hit at the rear and caused a hugh hit destroying the right front knuckle and cvd (the wood pole was stronger than my little monster ;) )
- if budget allows change to clamping lockouts, loose lockouts can cause axle bendings

Nice progress on the build
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 06:41 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_yeti View Post
- Get some CI Duece Wild foams for the 2.2 tires if you switch to them

- If u stay with the stock ar60 axle get some beeftubes

- Get some metal rear upperlinks (SSD, Vanquish or incision...) have ssd and vanquish both are great. the stock ones break on mine easily on a light hit at the rear and caused a hugh hit destroying the right front knuckle and cvd (the wood pole was stronger than my little monster ;) )

- if budget allows change to clamping lockouts, loose lockouts can cause axle bendings

Nice progress on the build

Thank you! I hadn’t thought about beef tubes for this. That’s one I’ll definitely have to do.

Old 02-17-2019, 11:14 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

I was out of town for a couple days and the rest of what we needed came in the mean time. So the boy and I got a little bit of work done this afternoon. One of the things that came was my HH motor, fast shipping as always from HH. This thing is gorgeous, can’t wait to try it out!

Old 02-20-2019, 02:09 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

I'd say enjoy the process, but it looks like that is already happening. Carry on!
JohnnyAnguish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 02:34 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyAnguish View Post
I'd say enjoy the process, but it looks like that is already happening. Carry on!

We are getting there! Hopefully knock out some more this week and maybe the body over the weekend. He’s excited for that part.

Father & Son Project - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Father & Son time The DC Scale Videos! 0 12-22-2014 09:07 PM
xr-10 father and son project. bert8975 Newbie General 3 03-01-2013 12:13 PM
Father Son project... Check it out! racerx Chit Chat 35 12-03-2009 08:43 PM
Father-Son: Project Truggy Crawln Coles 2.2 Scale Rigs 28 08-04-2008 07:58 PM
father and son project chino438 Chit Chat 5 10-29-2007 07:29 PM