Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Hinge pin / vanq tower extender

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2019, 09:55 PM   #1

Default Hinge pin / vanq tower extender

Hey guys..new to forums. New to Yeti..but I've got the Score TT.

So..I bought the vanquisher shock tower extender, which apparently keeps the truck from bottoming out..but as I kinda predicted, not allowing the chassis to slap, snapped my front skid plate on my first jump.

So..a few questions:

Will upgrading to a metal (i'm looking at Vanquisher) front skid plate alleviate the hinge pin issues, as they claim? As this seems pretty common to bend (i had to hack saw mine out, and was surprised and how weak the metal was).

Does any1 use the shock tower extender? is it even necessary? It seemed to remove a lot of travel in the shocks, and is it that terrible to have the chassis slap, rather than the hinge pins / aarms / shocks eat the force of landing from a big jump?

There must be stronger hinge pins available..what are you guys running? The ones I cut out, were like pot metal.

Biggest question..the rear hinge pin holder, where the bolt actually screws in..is this replaceable? I'm pretty sure when my hinge pins snapped out, they tore out the thread in the rear seat..it looks like they're replaceable, but I'm not sure, and didn't see anything within the manual about it.

If not, how do ppl get around this? Drill through it, use a longer bolt, and put a nut on the back or something? I'll be pretty bummed if I can't get this thing fixed..I've barely even had a chance to drive it :\

Exalted85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2019, 07:14 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Hinge pin / vanq tower extender

I don't have a Yeti anymore so this is from memory.

The common hinge pin upgrade is Grade 12.9 screws (M3x65 or something like that, you will have to measure the exact size). If the stock hinge pins are grade 10.9 (they may even be lower than that), grade 12.9 is 120% stronger. Going even stronger from there requires something that supports the hinge pin in the center of the arm such as the Strong Arm kits or the Vanquish bulkhead. Those mods are way more expensive than a couple screws so try the 12.9 hardware first.

As for the chassis, there should be a locknut that presses into that square recess that the hinge pin threads into. Install a new locknut and you should be good on the chassis side.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 03:29 PM   #3
RCC Addict

The hinge Pinis bending cause there's no support between the A-Arm. So i made a sleeve for between. Using a 4mm and 5mm Alutube cut to length. works so far
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 10:50 PM   #4

I bought a short m3 and screwed it in there..seemed to have some thread at least..so I'll try to roll with that. I've been trying to locate some m3x61 (stock) hardened screws..but can't seem to find any. I think the stock hinge are like weaker than 10.9..they were pretty soft.

I've read about the sleaving situation, but I'm also forced to get a new skid plate from vanq which is metal..which is where my failure occured, I think. The front skid eyelet snapped, causing the hinge to bend download, and tore through the eyelet and bent it all to hell. I'll also try to find some tubing to see if I can stich inbetween my a-arms..I'm templed to try the rpm sleeve deal..but i don't really want to spend even more on it right now. I bought this thing used, and I'm getting up to new truck cost in a hurry, haha.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:10 PM   #5
RCC Addict

carterfab makes 12.9 hinge pins
Carter Fab & Machine » Axial Yeti Hinge Pin Upgrade Kit

but out of stock right now
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 02:14 AM   #6

I tried emailing carter..I'm guessing they discontinued those tho..seems like no one has them.

I sure hope this "strong arm" upgrade is worth all the hype..i had a hell of a time doing it, took me a couple hours. Used stainless steel tube and new rpm a-arms over my old alum. We'll see once I get the vanq skid plate to mount em up.

I'm still interested in experiences with the vanq shock tower.. I'm half tempted to take it off, but I want to test this strong arm business too..see if it can hold up.

[url=https://ibb.co/x3dmXvj]
Old 06-27-2019, 06:45 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I'm running RPM A-arms, and sleeved hinge pins, aluminium tubing that I cut to size. Cost a couple of bucks. I drilled out the A-arms (3/16" I believe) and pushed the sleeves through, and then original hinge pins. Never had a problem. You could do the same with the original A-arms, RPM is probably overkill. I actually have a pair of sleeved original A-arms, unused, that I could send to you, if you pay postage for it.

Edit: sorry, didn't realise you'd gotten the sleeved A-arms already. You should be fine now.
Antsiranean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 02:11 PM   #8
RCC Addict

I used stainless tube to make my own strongarm mod with RPM a arms.
Works great.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
gbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:11 AM   #9

Me personally, I did the CEN GS025 mod on mine. The CEN GS205 is a 4mm x 56mm hingepin for a big ass monster truck CEN used to make.
You just need to bore out your arms with a 4mm drill bit and install it. Also you will need to trim the skip/bumper/pin holder to accomodate the larger socket head of the GS205 hingepin. here is a link to the hingpin I goodgled-----> https://cenracing.shptron.com/p/gs02...inge-pin-4mx56
timmyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Hinge pin / vanq tower extender - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
King (hinge)Pin Ty1330 Axial Yeti 24 08-02-2016 02:18 PM
Remove bent hinge pin maxPOWAAA Axial Yeti 2 04-28-2015 08:39 PM
Hinge pin AWraith build Axial Yeti 33 03-06-2015 05:07 PM
Hinge Pin Fix antd91 Axial Yeti 13 12-13-2014 01:20 PM
vanq SLW .100's w/.225 hubs rub on vanq front knickles? T3rry Axial XR10 6 03-16-2011 06:48 PM