Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Just got yeti kit,help wit motor/esc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2019, 02:40 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Just got yeti kit,help wit motor/esc

First off, sorry for the basic question
Thing is I am new to the hobby, first kit was a Tamiya 1/10th rally car,about 4 weeks ago. I still like this by the way.
I wanted something for rough terrain,being in London,UK open land with rocks etc is very scarce, so I am talking dirt and short grass mostly , bumps if I find them and a bit of walkway/tarmac.
Basically after asking what "crawler/rockracer" do I need the Yeti was mentioned most. Then I found out the Yeti is discontinued! Today I found a new kit for sale ,so bit the bullit and bought it,arrives tomorrow.
I now need to get the motor and esc,which I know nothing about.
I would love to go out and buy top brand stuff but funds are limited to some extent.
So first off,i will never crawl,sorry. I might find a steep hill but no rocks will be on it.
I would rather go for "spirited" speed 30-40mph
So do I need 2s or 3s? 4s and over is out my budget.
Can anyone tell me what kv I would be looking at for 2s or 3s?
Esc, any recs for a mid range brand or model.

the above is BL I presume brushed it not worth bothering with?

Also I read a lot about pole count and not going below 4 pole and to get censored.
Would like to fit the elecs and not have to change gearing BUT that's not essential.

I am not lazy, I did do a search but there are so many conflicting posts.
Gazzalene is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2019, 03:04 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Just got yeti kit,help wit motor/esc

Firstly.. Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the Yeti fam!!

As far as your inquiry, there are so many options and flavors for the Yeti that it is difficult to choose which direction to go, but it sounds like you are leaning towards daily driver/basher area. If you want those speeds, 3s or above is a must and you will also need to change those gears out. I’ll send you what I changed mine to once I get home. Some other things you’ll need to think about at that speed is suspension. The Yeti is known for roll overs at speed. You’re on the right path reading other guys’ builds though, keep reading!! The answers are in here.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nastyman211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 03:04 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

I have just had a look at esc`s and the choice in the UK is not great. the vendor I would like to buy from carries mainly HW.
I will list some I think might be ok?

HW EZRrun-wp-sc8-120a bl,,,, there was loads of HW to pick from
SkyRC toro ts 120a
CC Monster max2
CC sidewinder 8th
Spektrum various models

I was trying to keep below the £100
Old 11-13-2019, 03:23 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Nastyman211,thank you for the forthcoming info on running at speed.

I have just ben looking at motor/esc combos and again here in the UK it looks like HW are the most available and I think that will be ok for me.
So if anyone as knowledge of a HW combo to suit that would really help

I read that I should be looking at KV`s 3000kv-4000kv,do not even know what the fastest kv of the 2 is!
but looking at the listed kv of the motor on main listing ,this then changes with the cell count,it looks like 4s is the most likely BUT I need to go 3s max ,I would guess 2s is a no go?

Hope I am not confusing my initial question

to recap please, setup for no crawling, more speed use, for fun.
3s max cells
mid to low budget for motor/esc.

Should I /can I concider brushed setup with LipO?
Old 11-13-2019, 03:58 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

I run a Castle Sidewinder 8th with a Castle 1512 2650kv motor, its heavy but wicked torquey. The Castle 1415 2400kv might be a good option
Oxide80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 04:15 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I was running a CC Mamba Max Pro with stock motor for a little bit, but had to change it due to... well just not enough get up and go! So I upped it to CC MMX and Holmes Hobbies Puller Pro BL 540XL 3500kv on 3s, changed out the front and rear bevel gear sets to 36t/14t.... massive speed and torque. This set up melted my plastic spur gear and warped the stock rear drive shaft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nastyman211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 02:26 AM   #7
RCC Addict

If you look for speed:
- you will need different Foams, Crawler Innovations Duece Wild Standard Foams

- beeftubes for the rear axle
- Clamping lockouts
or Aftermarket rear axle, i'm running a SSD Diamond wide

- Motor/ESC:
I'm running a Castle Monster X with a Holmes Puller Pro R 4100kv. This gives aprox 60km/h on open grass areas,
with 16/64 gearing on 3s.

Here my build thread of my little monster
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 2 XL mit Tapatalk
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 08:00 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxide80 View Post
I run a Castle Sidewinder 8th with a Castle 1512 2650kv motor, its heavy but wicked torquey. The Castle 1415 2400kv might be a good option
im runing a similer set up in mine i have the mm2 and the cc1515 2200 kv motor it will go faster than the airodinamics will allow

ive also ran a 16 turn brushed 550 can motor although it wasent break neck fast it was still fast enuff to catch some air i would asume a 12 turn brushed 550 can motor would get the speed you want at a reasonable price maybe around $50 us for motor and esc and might just do the trick since your not crawling you wont need a sensored motor if you do go brushless and that could save you a bunch of money brushless sensored motors are more for low speed crawling

if you go with a cc mamba x esc not cheap though they can go brushed or brushless then you could get a cheap $20 motor now and upgrade to brushless down the road when money permits

just remeber the faster it is the less reliable it will be but there so much more fun the more faster you go lol

my cheap combo would be a 550 can 12turn brushed and a cheap new rain 80a esc about $30

high end recomendation cc sidwinder 8 with a huge brushless motor not the cc1515 that i run but i that size range the novak version has a much better start up unsensored than the castle motor i like 2200kv up to 6s but 3s dose good too i run 4s on mine closer to $230 but you wont ever want for more

Last edited by ferp420; 11-14-2019 at 08:16 AM.
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 05:34 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the suggestions guy`s. being in the UK the "upgrade/spares" market is not that great. I have yet to look for beefing up upgrades and gearing parts.
so in the mean time ,running stock BUT a speed to put a grin on your face (I know its hard to compare "fast" from one guy to another) will this combo be a good choice? HW Ezrun max 10 sct esc WITH 3200kv motor, length 60mm and 5mm shaft. what T pinions should I order?

I have to get a servo next BUT that choice is easier.
Old 11-28-2019, 06:35 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Get a 14-16 for starters. And FWIW, running 3s will get you more speed/power, but may come at a parts endurance price. You're more likely to bust something in the driveline with the greater power from 3s... And there may be the busting due to driver costs. Especially as a new driver, you're more likely to misjudge something and clip something with leads to damage.

It's a bit off this topic, but got a mention before, and today I was witness to how much difference good tire foams make, vs the overly soft stock foams. If you can get them, the Crawler Innovation CWR-3014 Deuce's Wild are a good size for the tires the kit ships with and make a huge improvement.

Today I swapped on some new wheels to replace the stock on our RTR Yeti. I'd fit them up with the CI foams. The difference was huge. The stock foams (especially the beat down ones on the stock wheels) let the tire flex laterally too much, leading to sloppy handling, a greater tendency to lift a wheel/roll during a powered turn, and let the tire mush too much when hitting a sharper edge bump or landing a jump.

(Properly sized), stiffer foams let the tires flex on the contact patch for grip, but don't let the sidewalls collapse or fold over under strain.

Last edited by SlidePanda; 11-28-2019 at 06:43 PM.
SlidePanda is offline   Reply With Quote

Just got yeti kit,help wit motor/esc - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yeti Kit motor/esc combo's. Perkul8r Newbie General 8 04-03-2016 06:33 PM
New Kit Yeti what motor/ ESC???? mtnbker Axial Yeti 30 02-06-2016 02:29 AM