Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Tyre foam inserts?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2019, 03:27 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Tyre foam inserts?

I am going to run my Yeti for the most part on flat uneven terrain. grass/gravel/concrete small jumps. No real bashing.

I am a novice and the tyre inserts seem very soft. is this ok for my use? it will never do any climbing no matter how big or small.

I have some sponge/foam for furniture use which I would say is med to firm. Would I do better using that if I can cut this stuff to a good fit.

Is the stuff used for rc inserts "really" made for this specific use? surely its just foam or sponge? interested to know more
Gazzalene is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2019, 04:17 PM   #2

Default Re: Tyre foam inserts?

Furniture cushions don't make great tire foams.

For what you are doing you should checkout closed cell foams. They are dense, wateproof foams. It would give your Yeti better handling.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 12:18 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Tyre foam inserts?

Changing out the foams makes a shocking difference - especially if the (stock) foams are a bit broken down. I have had a RTR that a recently fit some new tires to. I put in some Crawler Innovation Deuce's Wild foams in.

Wow, what a difference. Made it a lot less prone to rolling over during a high speed turn. I suspect that the old stock foams would just allow the sidewalls to fold over on the front wheels once the lateral load and plowing the front, leading to a roll.

The CI foams also reduced the instances of bottoming out.

Their part number CWR-3003 specifically lists the Wild Peaks, which are the tires for the kit Yeti

Quote:
I have some sponge/foam for furniture use which I would say is med to firm. Would I do better using that if I can cut this stuff to a good fit.

Is the stuff used for rc inserts "really" made for this specific use? surely its just foam or sponge? interested to know more
That's kind of what the stock foam is. Die cut open cell foam. It's just a big sheet them punch donuts from. So you *might* do better than the stock foam, depending on the density of the foam you have.

The stuff I mention is a closed cell foam. Different material and won't break down as easily and doesn't absorb water like open cell. Also, the CI stuff is cut in a manner that maximized the sidewall rigidity, while still allowing the contract patch of the tire to conform for grip. Not something you'd easily do at home

Last edited by SlidePanda; 12-19-2019 at 12:23 PM.
SlidePanda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tyre foam inserts? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Foam Inserts JamesBond007 Newbie General 6 06-18-2018 05:18 PM
Foam inserts 2.2 reden Newbie General 3 11-24-2010 06:08 AM
AX 10 foam inserts takeit69 Newbie General 5 10-25-2008 07:30 AM
Foam trimming + tyre soften help please.... Immarcescibile Tires and Wheels 9 02-02-2006 07:54 PM