Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Front internal diff gear upgrade.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2020, 06:03 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Front internal diff gear upgrade.

Blown my front diff, gears are in bits, my Yeti is a little overpowered, 4000kv on 3s with higher gearing than stock, so this was bound to happen sooner or later.
What are people using in the front diffs as upgrades?
I understand some gears from the HPI RS4 work, but wanted to see if theirs anything better on the market.
Oh How Original is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2020, 07:57 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Front internal diff gear upgrade.

I don't think there is an upgrade over the stock diff gears. The HPI gears are a 50/50 mix of people saying they are better and people saying they are the same.

Hopefully someone will start making machined diff gears with the recent SMT10 rerelease. They would sell like hotcakes to the solid axle monster truck guys.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 12:37 AM   #3
RCC Addict

I replaced mine with the org., but i only had some wear no breakage. Also never saw a aftermarked alternative.

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 2 XL mit Tapatalk
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 01:59 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

If you get the correct ones, they are machined! They are undersized for.their application though. Hpi bullet diffs would be better for the exo!
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 03:06 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Can't see the HPI diffs being any better than the machined Axial UD gears. Shim them if needed, and maybe upgrade the housing if they keep grenading.

The stock gears are undersized in any case for the weight/size of the vehicle IMO. Parts bin usage gone awry. Axial should have really spec'd some new 1/8 size diffs.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 05:45 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

https://www.asiatees.com/display?bra...&c=product-int
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 05:37 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

I will just go with stock replacements for now then, I guess since the platform has been out so long and nobody has made a better replacement yet, they never will.
Especially now it's discontinued.
Although I think some of you have got confused, I am talking about the internal diff gears, not the pinion/ring gears.
Those are already Axial HD machined.
Old 02-22-2020, 09:48 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh How Original View Post
I will just go with stock replacements for now then, I guess since the platform has been out so long and nobody has made a better replacement yet, they never will.
Especially now it's discontinued.
Although I think some of you have got confused, I am talking about the internal diff gears, not the pinion/ring gears.
Those are already Axial HD machined.
the platform may be discontinued but the ar60 axles use the same gear set so the smt10 they just relesed uses the same gears as the yetis front diff

so there might be a chance for some upgraded parts someday but i wouldent hold my breath waiting for them
maybe run thicker diff fluid to slow down the diff action that might make the gears last longer as there not turning as much inside the diff
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 07:42 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
the platform may be discontinued but the ar60 axles use the same gear set so the smt10 they just relesed uses the same gears as the yetis front diff

so there might be a chance for some upgraded parts someday but i wouldent hold my breath waiting for them
maybe run thicker diff fluid to slow down the diff action that might make the gears last longer as there not turning as much inside the diff
There's some credit to this having the opposite effect though, it has more friction in there with thicker fluid.
I'm no diff guru so I don't know either way, but I also don't really want to alter the way it handles, because I've got it pretty dialled now.
To be honest, it's not blowing up every run or anything, but everyone loves to upgrade where possible
Old 02-24-2020, 09:52 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Ah, the internal gears.... I totally misread your initial post. I have both the HPI and Axial sets, and if there's a difference, I can't see it.

I agree 100% with Gula - a stiffer housing should help in theory.....will keep the gears in line much better. I've seen some aluminum versions out there as well if the steel is a bit heavy for your setup.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 10:11 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh How Original View Post
There's some credit to this having the opposite effect though, it has more friction in there with thicker fluid.
I'm no diff guru so I don't know either way, but I also don't really want to alter the way it handles, because I've got it pretty dialled now.
To be honest, it's not blowing up every run or anything, but everyone loves to upgrade where possible
the friction is in the fluid not the gears the fluid will get hot and has been known to sheer the bolts holding the ring gear to the diff housing my theory is less movement means less were

but it will definitly change the feel of the rig and like osrc sead aluminum diff housing would help with heat distrabution and be alot stronger and might help gear life too and there cheap too boot
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 08:46 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

I will look for an aftermarket housing, someone recommended the Boom Racing one, but I have had very mixed results with quality and durability of Boom Racing, so I'm not sure I'd want that one.
Being in the UK sucks for RC parts, you guys have so many more options than we do.
Old 03-15-2020, 09:00 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Ive gone through a couple front diffs myself. Tried the HPI spider gears, Hot Racing (IIRC) housing and havent really noticed a difference. Even with the Dlux big bearing bulkhead and machined ring/pinion gears the front diff doesnt seem to last long unless Im super careful and conservative. What fun is that?
Think about it scale-wise: We’re basically trying to put 2000hp through a subaru-sized diff attached to 50” tires. Askin for trouble. 😆
DeviledEggs is offline   Reply With Quote

Front internal diff gear upgrade. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
pinion gear and steel gear upgrade question (in the middle of installing, pleasehelp) Sloalty Redcat Crawlers 3 05-23-2016 08:48 PM