Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Building a new Yeti Score Trophy Truck kit..any tips?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2020, 03:13 PM   #1

Default Building a new Yeti Score Trophy Truck kit..any tips?

Finally located a new kit and going to start the build soon. Are there any must have hop-ups or issues I should address right away? I was thinking about adding all the Vanquish Products steering rack/bellcrank/posts since steering slop seems to be a big issue.

I am also debating whether to do Hobbywing SCT Pro or Mamba X (or even MMX) ESC with sensored motor. I plan on eventually getting all the aluminum bits so think I’m better off with a ~3600kv on 3s or 4300kv on 2S?

Any insight greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Khofman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2020, 09:59 AM   #2

Default Re: Building a new Yeti Score Trophy Truck kit..any tips?

Going with Monster X and 550 sized motor. I really would appreciate guidance on the hop ups - especially ones that should be addressed sooner rather than later.

Is there a need to update rear axle before bending the stock one? I don’t really dig the look of the SSD wide centered aluminum axle. It just doesn’t look scale to me — is the Vanquish axle still handicapped because of Wraith width or a lot of the initial issues get sorted? The existing rear axle threads are 5-6 years old so hard to tell if they are still relevant. I kind of like the HD D60 nylon SSD axle, looks much more realistic than their aluminum offering
Old 04-07-2020, 05:39 AM   #3

Drive shaft is a must - you will break the plastic one with that power. Also be wary of front A-arms - either You will break one or bend the pin holding it to the chassis. I broke front skid plate and damaged the chassis a little (literally sliced it in half on a rock while landing) so i would beef that up also. I would also invest in some radiator for the motor since air flow inside is meh unless You "tune" it up a little.

cheers!
dreadMoros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 12:12 PM   #4

Front A-arms and pins is a must to upgrade, you can buy the sleeved arms or make your own to prevent bending the pins
Grouchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 02:57 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

On both my Yeti & Trophy Truck I did the front a-arm hinge mod. Here how I did mine
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 05:00 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Look at Metal Concepts for your rear axle, links, a arms......... Axle is a scale Tube Works piece, having the rear link mounts off the bottom the axle, not the front, as they are supposed to be in this application, a TT. Most every quality scratch built TT runs Mike's stuff. Beef it up a little bit, the heavier truck works better than a light one unless you plan on sending it like the Laughlin leap at the Parker BITD race. Get your shocks tuned correctly and they are an amazing rig to watch go.
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 03:46 PM   #7

Should I stay with 2.2/3.0 Short Course or switch to 2.2 or 1.9 wheels? I was debating getting either Mickey Thompson Classic locks or Raceline Monster wheels from RC4WD. I noticed people also use 1.9 tires on 2.2 wheels but now 1.9" wheels seem most popular.

I intend to do some trail runs / light crawling but still want to be able to go fast on hard packed terrain. For tires i'm thinking Hyrax or PL BFGoodrich K02 so I'll have some ground clearance. I am going to use Hobbywing XR8 SCT Pro w/ 3600kv on 3S (stock 17t pinion)

Since this is my first "scale" truck I would prefer to run beadlocks so I can play around with tire/foam options and have that bling
Old 07-16-2020, 09:32 PM   #8

Or should I just throw in crawler innovations SC foams with stock tires glued on stock wheels. :/ I know stock foams are useless. Kinda want aluminum wheels just wonder if 1.9 tire better for trail

Old 07-20-2020, 12:38 PM   #9
RCC Addict

You have to pick your poison, if you will. Do note, that the stock wheel/tire combo (5) is worth about $70, and are highly sought after. Soft foams for trail running will be less than stellar hauling the mail (sidewall roll), which is why the 1.9 stretched onto a 2.2 was popular in the scratch build community. I have 5 or 6 sets of the SCORE wheel/tire sets, they go on every go fast scratch build because they work and are durable even with a glue on bead.
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 07:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC FAB View Post
You have to pick your poison, if you will. Do note, that the stock wheel/tire combo (5) is worth about $70, and are highly sought after. Soft foams for trail running will be less than stellar hauling the mail (sidewall roll), which is why the 1.9 stretched onto a 2.2 was popular in the scratch build community. I have 5 or 6 sets of the SCORE wheel/tire sets, they go on every go fast scratch build because they work and are durable even with a glue on bead.

This makes a ton of sense now that you mention it. I am going to stick with 2.2/3.0 & ordered some Chanquish wheels to test prior to making the commitment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-23-2020, 08:02 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Super happy with my Vanquish KMC XD series wheels and Voodoo U4 tires.
Check out “from the tub up thread”
Cheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 11:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheez View Post

Yea those look amazing but I want to run Proline Raptor body so prob won’t be able to fit 5.5” tires in wheel well. I’m sure I’ll convert to RR setup one day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-02-2020, 12:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheez View Post
So I ended up finding a great deal on VP KMC XD229 Machete 2.2 wheels. Going to try out some 1.9 XL sized tires & CI foams. This way can figure out whether these bridge the gap btw 2.2/3.0 SC and 1.9 tires
Old 08-10-2020, 07:11 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

The SSD Wide Diamond rear axle is the way to go in my opinion particularly now that it appears that Vanquish has ceased production of anything that does not fit their VS4-10. I like the MIP rear drive shaft too. Those were the first things I replaced on my Yeti. I'm running a Monster X and a 3500 kv Puller Pro XL.
I'm running Vanquish 2.2 KMC Bully wheels and Pro-Line 1.9 B.F.G. Mud Terrain T/A tires with Crawler Innovations Deuce's Wild Single Stage 1.9 foams stretched onto them on a Losi Baja Rey that is also running a Monster X and a Holmes 4100 kv Puller Pro R. They work well so far.

Last edited by Rumpelhardt; 08-10-2020 at 07:23 PM.
Rumpelhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 04:21 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Hpi Sprint bevel gears for front diff

RPM A arms

SSD wide rear axle

MIP driveshaft

Exotek main chassis

Aluminium front diff cup

Proline Powerstroke shocks

Traxxas rod ends

GPM aluminium hubs
Taper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 07:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelhardt View Post
The SSD Wide Diamond rear axle is the way to go in my opinion particularly now that it appears that Vanquish has ceased production of anything that does not fit their VS4-10. I like the MIP rear drive shaft too. Those were the first things I replaced on my Yeti. I'm running a Monster X and a 3500 kv Puller Pro XL.
I'm running Vanquish 2.2 KMC Bully wheels and Pro-Line 1.9 B.F.G. Mud Terrain T/A tires with Crawler Innovations Deuce's Wild Single Stage 1.9 foams stretched onto them on a Losi Baja Rey that is also running a Monster X and a Holmes 4100 kv Puller Pro R. They work well so far.

I agree, the SSD wide diamond axle is the best bang for $$$ but I wanted something a little more scale (after all that’s what attracted me to Solid Rear axle trophy truck). I ended up piecing together a Currie centered RockJock70 rear axle from VP website. Let see if I live to regret that decision.

After I got the Currie F9 front bulkhead I really wanted an F9 rear axle but seemed impossible to find & as you said not in production

Old 08-29-2020, 05:59 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

The Wide Diamond axle is a pretty good approximation of a fabricated 9" Ford axle housing. They are used on quite a few Trophy trucks.
Rumpelhardt is offline   Reply With Quote

Building a new Yeti Score Trophy Truck kit..any tips? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yeti SCORE Trophy Truck Kit $80 Off! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 03-09-2018 11:47 AM
Axial Racing Yeti SCORE Trophy Truck Kit Week Long Sale! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 01-29-2018 10:39 AM
Yeti SCORE Trophy Truck IN STOCK! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 11-13-2015 11:33 AM