RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axles, Trannys, T-case (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axles-trannys-t-case/)
-   -   Wraith/AX10/SCX10 pinion bearing mod (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axles-trannys-t-case/473027-wraith-ax10-scx10-pinion-bearing-mod.html)

Erik D_lux 12-09-2013 08:18 AM

Wraith/AX10/SCX10 pinion bearing mod

These are now available on my site.

$20 per housing

Bearings are supplied with the mod.
  • Gears are setup so they do not spin freely and feel gritty with a stock, new standard ratio gear set.
  • Different axle housing and different gear sets can have different results, I can only set them up with the parts I have and count on the tolerances being somewhat close.

There has been a change...... I went from a 5x16 bearing to a 5x13 bearing. This leaves all the crucial materiel (no longer as deep) and then some but still gives a much better bearing than stock. In our testing we still did not wear out a bearing and had no housing issues.

In the picture there is a 5x13 bearing installed and to the lower left there is a 5x13 next to a stock 5x10 so you can see just how much bigger it still is.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps62fa0226.jpg

AX10/SCX10 housings are now available! I do not have a dedicated section for these on my website so they are under "universal".

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x...psd995ee87.jpg

juan r 12-09-2013 11:55 AM

Re: Wraith pinion bearing mod

that is a nice mod i need to have my axles done .

juan r 12-09-2013 12:02 PM

how long would it be if i send you my axles ? i would love to send you my 2 sets of axes to get done.

Erik D_lux 12-09-2013 01:08 PM

It would take me either the same day or 1 extra days to get it out.

juan r 12-09-2013 05:58 PM

ok thats coo ill have to get them out

C*H*U*D 12-09-2013 06:19 PM

I have a few people here I need to talk to "thumbsup"

Farmer 12-09-2013 08:09 PM

Would you be willing to do this service on my Vp Currie center sections? I could just send the two centers.... This mod would greatly improve the reliability of my Class 3 rig I'm building. Great idea once again man"thumbsup"
Thanks,
Farmer

Erik D_lux 12-10-2013 07:24 AM

I am not sure if it even can be done on a Currie center. I would have to take a look at it. Can you tell if there is enough material in that area?

juan r 12-13-2013 10:28 PM

whats the new bearing size you put in for the mod ?

Erik D_lux 12-14-2013 08:56 AM

16mm

Erik D_lux 12-19-2013 04:46 PM

Ok, never mind all that weird pricing. I just went and bought a bunch and made them all at once to make things easier on all of us.

Now these are at one low price and ready to buy now. "thumbsup"

Trugg 12-19-2013 07:22 PM

Awesome mod...I've been waiting for someone to do this."thumbsup"
Now if you can do it to the Vanquish Wraith axles I will throw money at you!! 8)
Any chance?

winnerone23 12-19-2013 07:54 PM

Thats awesome! I believe you will have More of my money soon Erik.. :)
With a pro4 goin in and enough front gear issues with the current 13.5t. Can't go wrong with that price!

Erik D_lux 12-19-2013 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trugg (Post 4594962)
Awesome mod...I've been waiting for someone to do this."thumbsup"
Now if you can do it to the Vanquish Wraith axles I will throw money at you!! 8)
Any chance?

I have been asked more than once already about the VP stuff. I am just super hesitant becuase I dont know if its even possible for one and for 2, if I am modding them for only a couple of dollars, if I make one mistake I would be upside down probably forever on the whole idea.

Sorry, I just think its too risky.

Trugg 12-20-2013 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik D_lux (Post 4595136)
I have been asked more than once already about the VP stuff. I am just super hesitant becuase I dont know if its even possible for one and for 2, if I am modding them for only a couple of dollars, if I make one mistake I would be upside down probably forever on the whole idea.

Sorry, I just think its too risky.

I completely understand.
But I will say if you decide you want to give it a shot I will send you a brand new set of Vanquish Wraith housings. If you mess them up no big deal...my loss.
I'm willing to take the risk and be the guinea pig. Lol
If you don't want to, its all good...ill just buy some of your modded plastic axles."thumbsup"

Erik D_lux 12-20-2013 08:02 AM

Well, thanks to Dan W, he is already going to send me a set to check out. I will let you guys know how it goes. "thumbsup"

Trugg 12-20-2013 10:30 AM

Awesome...cant wait! 8)

Diablo666 12-28-2013 01:14 PM

Have a pro4 in my wraith and just blew up my overdrive gear. How is this mod holding up with this motor? I have been running bushings front and rear internal and external. The external bushing is making the plastic housing lose. Will this mod help with that?

winnerone23 12-28-2013 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diablo666 (Post 4604219)
Have a pro4 in my wraith and just blew up my overdrive gear. How is this mod holding up with this motor? I have been running bushings front and rear internal and external. The external bushing is making the plastic housing lose. Will this mod help with that?

Rebuilding my wraith into a Sexo with a pro4, and just found my front axle to be worn out and not holding the bushing/bearing either..

2x modded housings ordered! Thanks Erik... B-)

Edit: I blew up 2 od gear sets in mine, before the power and before the bushings.. not enough mesh on the R&P teeth to hold up to power.. IMO..

OTHGbronco82 12-28-2013 10:16 PM

That looks awesome. Do you think you'd be able to this mod to a scx10 axle in the stock housings?